View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 11:22 AM
O well, you can't blame a girl for trying !!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-03-2008, 11:30 AM
I doubt CM has all of HIS dogs in the bedroom.
I am pretty sure the chewing is just them, and thinking back to when they ate their way through the back of their house and next door's fence, plus the time they ate the hosepipe and my hunter wellies, it is definately slowing down. They are 2 years 3 months now, and there is definately a small dim light at the end of the tunnel. This breed does take a very long time to mature, so coupled with CM's techniques, unlimited patience and copious amounts of valium I will get through it!!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Yes !! You will TW. Substitute copious amounts of alcohol in my case, and I got through the Terrible Twos with Hal to face the Terrible Rest of your Life which was not nearly so bad it had to be said.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-03-2008, 11:07 PM
I have barely survived the Wilful Ones, now I have the Terrible Twos, is it worse
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Yes, but you'll cope !!

They are much more obedient than Hal was, particularly when he was that age. He didn't start to calm down until he was 5 ... around the time we got him onto the BARF diet.

They are delightful dogs TW
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-03-2008, 01:27 PM
had good training session today with them. The FW was trying to distract them and wreck my session by parading his dog backward and forward whilst I had Lona at stay with treats in front of her, she was an absolute star, was looking intently, but never moved!!!
they have definately shifted a gear after me starting using his methods.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Are stays with Treats CM methods?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-03-2008, 01:43 PM
well I don't know to be honest. At the dog training class I go to we are doing all off lead work now and he has them off lead at stay with treats in front of them sat in a circle.
So obviously I practice this, it is a good 'leave' idea, because if they will stay with treats in front of them with other dogs about also off lead and there are no food fights, no one gets up and wanders off and no one eats their treats or anyone elses, you are on the road to success. Remember I have 2 dogs and they now work off lead on either side of me lots of the time, so double the trouble!!!
I don't use all CM's methods as I have already said, some of them don't sit comfortably with me. I mean he taught Daddy to avoid snakes by using a shock collar, and although I can see the reasoning behind it, it is not something I would want to do myself. If I have a problem that I am not able to solve I will use his methods and up to now it has solved the problem. Another thing I do is to teach my 2 a bit of doggy dancing and some tricks so they don't get bored so easily, we do a bit of training together, then individually, then some tricks, then some doggy dancing and then some training together again. they have a charge around before and after training as well, just to blow their cobwebs away. Probably CM would not do any tricks or doggy dancing - but then again he might!!!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Perhaps CM would use a Electric collar to teach the dogs to leave the treats...but that is going to seriously ****** up your stays!!!!!

Stays with treats are a really positive way of training them!

Dogs do need to learn how to stay put, cm does it by using his pretend energy (thats just in his head,emperors new clothes syndrome!!!!!) & using a foot to correct the dog, you can see it in a post in this thread where he teaches a BC not to jump up & to sit calmley instead, youll notice when it does stay that the owner is not allowed to praise it!!!! I did post my veiws on it but noone has commented on it!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-03-2008, 02:04 PM
but I found that using my foot to stop either of my 2 charging ahead when on lead worked immediately. I have to say I wasn't really comfortable with it because it looked like I was kicking them, then I thought well hang on you touch your horse with your heels when riding, or squeeze with your inside leg, it is only the same sort of thing, so I just moved my leg onto them and they immediately jumped back so it gave me the desired result after absolute ages of trying everything else. I can't see me being able to get either of mine in a head lock to do the dominant roll thing though, but then again I haven't got the problem where they are quite literally walking all over me and ruling my life
I do cherry pick lots of ideas from various schools of thought, and so does my trainer who is ex MOD and Police, he doesn't just subscribe to one school of thought, he investigates everything and trys it out. He has my 2's Great Niece and is finding out what it is like now,she is 11 months old and just beginning to disagree with him on whether she should stay and leave her treats or eat them and wander off!!!
I think some of the dogs on the CM programme are at the extreme end of the scale in that they have never had any real discipline applied to them, they have tested the boundaries, they have given way and then they have just quite literally taken over and ruled the roost. I mean would you seriously let your dog go for your partner and bite them and do nothing about it?? Of course you wouldn't!!! But the people appearing on his problem don't seem to be able to hand out Consequences for Unwanted Behaviour and it is the dog who suffers then, because it needs the sky to virtually fall in on it when it does these things because by then it is Learned Behaviour and it needs to be taken out of that comfort zone where it can do what it wants and be deposited in a zone where it does what it is told to do, so although CM's methods can be extreme, the circumstances often are as well.
Page 22 of 102 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 72 > Last »