View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 08:33 PM
depending on the individual dog..i dont see why not!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Surely you are going to put more strain on the dogs other 3 legs/joints.

So its not against the rules then??

Personally I dont agree with it, just my opinion mind
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

J - see link

http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news...tes_at_crufts/
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 08:47 PM

My opinion too, but then a missing back leg isn't as bad as a missing front leg, as far as stress on joints go.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
My opinion too, but then a missing back leg isn't as bad as a missing front leg, as far as stress on joints go.
Would agree abotu the back leg being less than the front, but in agility they have to do a lot of speed turning, and they use their back legs for that, so only having one is going to put more strain on the remaining one.

Helen, read the link, and still have my doubts, just because the dog want to do it , does not mean he should
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Would agree abotu the back leg being less than the front, but in agility they have to do a lot of speed turning, and they use their back legs for that, so only having one is going to put more strain on the remaining one.

Helen, read the link, and still have my doubts, just because the dog want to do it , does not mean he should
its where your training and understanding of your dog comes in..its not all about speed....and courses really are not that long...that said it depends on the dog,im not saying they all should..i see some overweight dogs that shouldnt be allowed near an agility course..but they are
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I too think it depends on the dog. Dogs getvso much enjoyment from agility & so long as a Vet says its okay & the dogs weight is okay then why not. However i can see your side too & understand your reasoning.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 11:27 PM
I agree that it depends on the dog and I also think that vet checks to keep an eye on the dog's back and hips would also be a very good idea. But I know some three-legged dogs who leap over things and run around and up and over stuff like it's nothing.

And yes, it's not all about speed. Maybe at the highest levels, but if you're doing it for fun? You could even leave out obstacles that were a strain on the dog. Obviously you couldn't compete that way but who says you have to compete to enjoy agility? I don't compete and probably won't, especially with this dog (I'm not sure I could ever get her over a teeter), but we're having a blast.

And on a side note, a book I've been reading (by Katy Cropper) talks a lot about a three-legged dog doing herding.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 06:51 AM
With regards to deaf dogs in UK ob , they are allowed now, but in the past they were defintally banned.

There was a OB CH , OB CH imperial Pie who was deaf, he went deaf during his life & his owner nedded to retrain his comands, for a drop on SendAway she used to stamp hrer foot on the floor, so the dog could feel the vibrations & drop
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 11:19 AM
You say you home check for various rescues. From what you have said, if they wanted you to home check for a disabled dog they want to home, you would refuse to do it as - "quote -*

Any animal that cannot EXERCISE their own rights, does not have any - end quote" ?

I am not sure how you jumped to that conclusion, but then again I cannot control what people assume!

I have not stated in any of my posts that I would refuse to do a home check for a disabled dog!

I can avoid being over emotional about the subject.

I have NEVER said that people should not keep disabled pets, IF THAT IS THEIR CHOICE.

What I HAVE said is a) if I bred I would cull any that did not meet the breed standard (which is par for the course on the continent) and b) that I would not have one.

If people want to keep disabled pets that is up to them, just as it is up to ME to decide AGAINST breeding them, selling or homing one or owning them.

Again, quoting examples of "I know a dog with one eye, no ears, two legs etc that enjoys X" is pointless, all dogs are different.

Just because SOME paraplegics can make it to the top of Mount Everest, does not mean ALL can.

You have to make decisions based on INDIVIDUALS.

Strictly speaking even if your dog is not KC registered by the breeder & you want to work your dog, you can get it KC registered on the "working / activity KC register" if you want to compete that is

Yes I DID mention this, however the activity register does NOT allow dogs to compete in Breed Showing, Field Trials or Gundog Working Tests!

The reason I have mentioned other disabilities is that deafness is a disability, therefore surely the same arguments that apply to deaf dogs apply to any other disability?

There was a deaf dog working ticket in Working Trials as well, but as the previous poster said, it WENT deaf.

I had a dog that went through a conservatory window, severing an artery and slicing through a muscle. I told the vet that if she could not have all 4 legs to leave her on the table.

This was because THIS particular dog living with MY particular lifestyle would not have been suited to having three legs.

Oh yes, I could have rehomed her, then of course there would be all the comments of "she rehomed her dog when she could not compete her any more........".

So whatever decisions you make in life have to be those which YOU, as an individual, think best.

We all have different opinions on "what is best"
Page 22 of 27 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »