View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2004, 04:18 PM
roxy i read a thread on there yesterday where someone keeps tampering with the site(think i,ve got that right)don,t want anyone coming down on me as well

and they seem to be demanding £500 to stop doing it
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-08-2004, 04:55 PM
I meant "no doubt"

It wasn't someone tampering with the site. Some idiot thought it'd be clever to buy a very similar domain name, set up a shoddy version of a forum and try and get DPs owner to pay out for it. I very much doubt that's the reason behind DPs being offline. They've had worse and come through shining. Besides I doubt the 8000+ members will stand it being offline for long!
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2004, 05:00 PM
ok katym like i said i wasn,t sure
you don,t have to jump on me

i am a member of that site as that is where i got my rescue dog from,and i,ve never knocked it and am not gonna get into arguement with anyone like i said (think i,ve got that right)!!!!!!
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Jackie I think you've misread me. I wasnt jumping on you, just explaining.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2004, 05:24 PM
ok katym
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Lets all be friends.
Alison N
Dogsey Junior

25-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Sorry folks, haven't posted for aged - been busy with Gruesome Grace!

Don't want this to come across as starting this debate again but it is something I feel strongly about so would like to put in my bit.

"Why breed when others die". I'm going to take the viewpoint from my breed (as such!) here. I would never rehome a rescue Rottweiler to a family with children or a rescue to a first time owner. If it's someone's first Rottweiler or they have young children I always advise a well bred puppy. This breed cannot afford any mistakes and they are not an "easy" breed as such so you should always start with a well bred pup. Coupled with the bad press the breed has, there is a need for well tempered dogs and british breeders on the whole have done a good job in turning around the disaster we had in the 80's - without good breeders the breed would have been banned so that's a good first reason for breeding.

So if I advise a first time owner to get a pup, they need to know where to go to get a well bred pup so this is where the good breeder comes in. You need to know that your dog is coming from sound stock - health and temperament.

I am not a breeder so I can only speak from the viewpoint of my good friend and Grace's breeder. She doesn't show as she finds it too stressful however Grace's mother is one of the best looking Rottweiler's I have seen in conformation, temperament and health. She has all the necessary health checks on her dogs, chooses the best possible complementary stud and produces exceptional pups which are a credit to the breed. By engaging in this, she is assuring the breeds stability. All puppies are sold with endorsed pedigrees and contracts which ensures the dog comes back to her.

To put a rescue Rottweiler in a family with young children is not a responsible action to the breed and this is one that needs safeguarding. As with breeders and rescue there are always good and bad (Welfare are still mopping up the residue of a cowboy Rottweiler rescue outfit who placed unsuitable dogs all over the place, bred from rescues etc.) - rescues rehome inadequately too, it's not just a breeder that could make a mistake. The Rottweiler Rescue in my area will not rehome a dog that has previously lived with children to a home with children and I fully endorse this view. I am not prepared to see the breed banned because of mistakes or people's desire to own a rescue that they are ill equipped to cope with rather than buy from a breeder - that is irresponsible to the breed and the time people put into these dogs.

Hopefully this answers from this breed's viewpoint the need to breed. I've had mostly rescues and some pups so I feel qualified to answer from both angles - the rescues I have had I would not expect a first time owner to cope with - they should have a pup.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

25-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Excellent points there Alison.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Well put Alison
Inca
Dogsey Veteran