Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am afraid you do not have the monopoly on slang Dyane.

In the world that I live in (which I am sure is vastly different from yours)

Cavvies is short for CKCS
Goldies are what people call GR not ONE particular individual in ONE TV programme. ROFLMAO

I am not sure why you have mentioned ESS but what people choose to shorten the full names of breeds to is outside your remit I am afraid.

So people will call their dogs what they like.

Just like some people shorten Weimaraner to Weimy and some to Veimy etc.

Take a chill pill dear.
People who have Golden Retrievers & know the breed call them Goldens, those who have bought a GR as a pet from a pet breeder/BYB/Puppy farm since Blue Peter had their bitch, Goldie & have little knowledge of the breed call them Goldies. It doen't just annoy me it annoys a lot of Golden owners/breeders.

How can you shorten Cavalier to Cavvy ??? Cavy possibly but that is a Rodent. Thinking about it Cavalier is short for CKCS anyway.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
The idiot vet, not met too many idiot vets as it is quite a journey to become one, sadly your comment has lessened the validity of your points.

Having academic acclaim does not stop one from being an idiot in their views or actions.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Indeed. If the KC's European equivalents are able to control their members breeding practices, I don't see why the UK KC can't follow suit, other than it'll upset the "old boys" club......
Mmmm But was the Pug who was operated on not foreign??
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
People who have Golden Retrievers & know the breed call them Goldens, those who have bought a GR as a pet from a pet breeder/BYB/Puppy farm since Blue Peter had their bitch, Goldie & have little knowledge of the breed call them Goldies. It doen't just annoy me it annoys a lot of Golden owners/breeders.

How can you shorten Cavalier to Cavvy ??? Cavy possibly but that is a Rodent. Thinking about it Cavalier is short for CKCS anyway.
And you told me to get a life!

rune
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Are there any statistics out there to show whether working bred dogs are healthier in general than show bred?
Must be something somewhere as JH keeps posting that work bred is far better than show bred
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Don't be silly you cant say because someone calls there Retriever a Goldie they got it from a Puppy farm. I would go on where they got the dog from not what they call it.

As an owner and Lover of the GR I don't care what they call them as long as they are well cared for.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

28-02-2012, 11:36 AM
I was wondering when this argument was going to be trotted out.
Glad you did`nt have to wait to long

Why do people believe that people who compete with their dogs (in any discipline) are "trophy hunters" but do not see their dogs as pets?
I dont

I was answering this post.........

Originally Posted by alexgirl73
! There are far too many people out there who only give a damn abut the trophies, rosettes and prestige they earn from showing their animals,
Trophy hunters go across the board, it is not exclusive to one disciple.

And I think whilst you may dislike the personality of the vet, he is hardly an "idiot" otherwise he would never have qualified.

See above, I am not questioning his academic qualifications.

Simply his idiotic rantings..
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

28-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Just watched it, not really anything new, a re-run of the old programme, got a bit boring to be honest.

The Boxers, I already new about, and my heart goes out to those owners who bought from these breeders..
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Delos View Post
Don't be silly you cant say because someone calls there Retriever a Goldie they got it from a Puppy farm. I would go on where they got the dog from not what they call it.

As an owner and Lover of the GR I don't care what they call them as long as they are well cared for.
Mine get called a lot worse than their "official" breed name. I even have the nerve to refer to Copper as "the ginger one"
EllesBelles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:50 AM
I don't really think there needs to be a big debate on slang terms for dogs, to be honest.

At work, I've seen a few boxers with kidney disease. We do send off samples, when the owners are willing, and most of the time they are.

I've had two Cavaliers (no idea how to write that without upsetting anyone) and both got heart disease - one had complete heart failure, the other MVD which led to heart failure. I don't know if it was worse with the first, when I didn't know much, or the second, when I was trained and knew what was going on.

I've also fostered four CKCS who were given to the local breed club because they all had Stringomyelia. It was heart breaking.

The program will draw criticism. My OH's parents aren't particular dog lovers - they like the idea of a dog, but not the practicalities. Speaking to them about it this morning, they simply said the program must have been finding the most unhealthy dogs, and it was all sensationalist. I couldn't convince them otherwise.

It's a sad world when humans are ruining dogs just so that we have what we deem the perfect appearance. Perhaps those who care more about looks than health and welfare should buy stuffed animals instead?
Page 21 of 40 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 > Last »