View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

15-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Can't stand the man, or his training methods.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
your kidding right!

Of course one would expect him to be able to give logical answers....

I guess you don't watch many talk shows, AT was a pussycat compared to some presenters....they would not be in the job if they gave their guests an easy time.
Indeed. David Frost RIP
(not that he'd have had someone as tacky or unimportant as CM on his shows)

*actually that's probably why they had someone like Titchmarsh be the presenter doing the interview. No hard core presenter would want that particular one in their list of 'people they've grilled'.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2014, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
your kidding right!

Of course one would expect him to be able to give logical answers....

I guess you don't watch many talk shows, AT was a pussycat compared to some presenters....they would not be in the job if they gave their guests an easy time.
It's funny how you try and mock me, yet Catrin understood exactly what I was trying to say in turn. BTW, no I do not watch talk shows. Why should I when they consist of this? I have no interest in watching stuff like this.

At the end of the day... we all know that CM isn't a real dog trainer and that there is no real research behind his methods. He CANNOT really explain what is behind them because lots of the stuff he does he just... made up!!

There is also tons of solid research that goes against what he is doing. He knows that as well as we do. There isn't anything he can say to back up his methods because he's only a T.V. star in the quest for ratings.

He babbles nothingness such as "That's their opinion" and whatnot and goes back to his show with the same questions unanswered. Has happened many times, not just with AT.

If I went to him asking questions, I would NOT expect him to be able to say anything to me that would make any real sense because I already know that most of the stuff he does isn't effective. What would YOU expect him to say?

We all know that there is really nothing he can say that will sound legitimate because he is not a real dog trainer but is merely a T.V. star that deals with dogs. Everything is only a "touch" and it's dog psychology... that is the gist of his entire show.

I think the entire interview was based on the fact that not once has CM been able to really explain his methods sensibly (because it is pretty much impossible) and doesn't usually even try, which is why I dislike AT and the entire thing.

Shooting off question after question from a paper that he cannot and will not really answer (but must try and say something) is just a way to mock him and try to make him look bad. It's a sorry thing to do IMO... even if he is disliked immensely.
Burlone
New Member!
Female 

15-04-2014, 06:50 PM
So much arrogance in this thread! Cesar saves lives where other trainers condemn the dogs to death. How many others would take cases of dog or human aggression??? Huh??
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Burlone View Post
So much arrogance in this thread! Cesar saves lives where other trainers condemn the dogs to death. How many others would take cases of dog or human aggression??? Huh??
I don't see arrogance I see opinions and we are all entitled to those are we not?
Welcome to Dogsey btw
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2014, 07:05 PM
I had an overall bias against his old training methods. My dogs know who the boss is without my needing to go all pack leader on them. But I read an interview awhile back and it seems like he's changed some of his ideas on training. Mellowed a bit if you would.
I think it's positive that he has always promoted the bull breeds. The interview was themed on a suicide attempt after his wife of many years left and apparently his manager ran off with his money. He seems to be a likable guy at heart. I wouldn't follow his training ideas but I don't think he's anyone dreadful either.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
I had an overall bias against his old training methods. My dogs know who the boss is without my needing to go all pack leader on them. But I read an interview awhile back and it seems like he's changed some of his ideas on training. Mellowed a bit if you would.
I think it's positive that he has always promoted the bull breeds. The interview was themed on a suicide attempt after his wife of many years left and apparently his manager ran off with his money. He seems to be a likable guy at heart. I wouldn't follow his training ideas but I don't think he's anyone dreadful either.
Well said! There is a lot about his techniques that are good, and there is a lot that is bad. No need to slate the guy as if he were ALL bad, because he isn't.

I like the way he promotes the bull breeds, especially pit bulls in the States. Daddy was just a darling boy, a perfect example of the GOOD that Cesar can do. I dislike intensely the way people continually slate the poor guy just because he has made a few - admittedly serious - mistakes. I have seen with my own eyes him clearly kicking a dog which had attacked him, it was not just a nudge with the knee, it was a kick with his shin. However, it was probably an instinctive reaction to being bitten - the labrador in question was a large dog and Cesar was badly bitten, probably deservedly, but nonetheless it is HUMAN to lash out with violence when met with violence. I have been tempted on many occasions to give Ben a smack on the bum when he has threatened me in the past, the git, and he hadn't even hurt me. Had he actually bitten me hard, I think I could easily have lashed out in pain, anger and just sheer gut reaction.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Your dog threatens you ? wouldn't put up with that from mine, and we only show them love and gentleness in turn we are creating gentle dogs it seems. Wish we had realised that with earlier dogs who sadly we followed what people did at the time (Barbara woodhouse etc).
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2014, 11:12 AM
I don't like any of what I've seen of his methods. And find him coming across as arrogant and more than a bit condescending too.

However as I've never owned a dog that threatened me - I've never even given thought to methods to stop that sort of behaviour.

I've only had one dog that 'threatened' anyone - Battersea Dog - growled at my toddler. It was returned to Battersea the very next morning after spending a night in the yard.

Don't even want to INVESTIGATE ways to 'rehabilitate' the product of what might be someone else's bad treatment or training. Not where the safety of one of my kids (or anyone else's kid) is concerned. And haven't ever considered a rescue since then. When a dog's 'history' is largely unknown or what you know is only what the previous owner or rescue decided to tell you - you can surmise all you like about WHY it might behave as it does but you will never know for certain. Therefore won't have any idea WHAT might 'set it off' or 'spook' it.

All the dogs I've owned from puppyhood have turned out just the way I like them to be around me and everyone else and around other animals too.

And that's BIG and SMALL dogs - not just lapdogs or companion dogs or tiny weeny ones!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2014, 11:39 AM
I've dealt with lots of "threatening" rescue dogs & dogs bigger that the bull breeds, rescue GSDs.

A lot is written & spoken about this man's promotion of the Bull breeds, however he really only promotes himself, like so many TV personalities.

He is NOT a behaviourist, he is not a dog trainer-he is a dog breaker. He breaks the dog's spirit & makes it shut down. This is so obvious in ALL his TV programs & videos.

He obviously has no understanding of how dog behave naturally nor how to use natural behaviours to educate the dogs.

I have no interest in him at all, his performance under rather mild interrogation of Alan Titchmarsh showed him for what he is-a fake.

Humans cannot be "pack leaders" for dogs because they are not the same species. A truly dominant dog does not physically abuse the lower dogs, they keep control by body language. The only dominant dog I have ever owned had what I used to call her "raised eye brow" look, that would stop any fight, grumbling or too overly boisterous play between any of the other 10 dogs. Her appearance in the kitchen doorway if something was kicking off outdoors soon put an end to it.
Page 21 of 24 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 >