View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Shooting is an appalling way of dealing with an animal which can easily be trapped and either pts in a humane way or neutered and given other relevant vet treatment.

Happens all the time. The shooting option is taken by those who want to enjoy the action of shooting a living animal and justify that by saying they are dealing with 'pests'.

rune
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I like most animal, including "Wolves" but I also believe in manageable numbers, and I have no issue with humane culling. Your feelings on Cats are pretty clear to me.
yes i can see you like Wolves you even try to justify them being illegally removed from the Endangered Species List

it shows you love foxes aswell

You have constantly targeted Cats, as I said thats fine by me, Im sure they wont mind. How about instead of attacking peoples pets, you take a look at the things I mentioned, like Trichomoniasis for starters.

An excerpt for you:

Mind you, it could be those pesky Cats! I mean dropping a THIRD!! Darn moggies. I expect all those bodies we were collecting for examination were left by Cats too, we just happened not to see them!
and WHY should i not mention cats in this thread when its relevant! bird diseases arnt are they .....however you try to ignore it everyone knows cats kill birds and other wildlife!!! just because birds have to deal with other problems like Trichonomiasis dosent mean cat owners should dismiss the fact that free roaming cats are devestating to birds aswell.....And infact because birds are suffering from such diseases makes owners even more irresponsible that they also have the added pressures of cat predation on their numbers!!!

so just so im absolutley clear here....are you saying that the 9 million domestic cats (a large number of which roam free) are doing no harm to our wildlife????? and this predator is the only one that you think dosent need to be controlled???? (with the exception of the ferals you want shooting)

Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Whoa - just did double take - shooting feral cats as a means of control, did I read that wrongly?

I waited a very long time - years in fact before my llifestyle suited having a cat, then of course I got one and few months later another one

Cats are smart, I have heard it said that you can't train cats, well our two - six and eight months I have trained to "sit" - using reward based treats, the same as I would a puppy and they learned exceptionally fast

Noushkaos - that is a lovely little cat, bless you for taking care of her and making the end of her life so happy.
thank you, she was a little sweetheart x
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Shooting is an appalling way of dealing with an animal which can easily be trapped and either pts in a humane way or neutered and given other relevant vet treatment.

Happens all the time. The shooting option is taken by those who want to enjoy the action of shooting a living animal and justify that by saying they are dealing with 'pests'.

rune
I agree but to trap and "humanely" PTS a feral Cat, how would you do it? Personally I could never ever shoot a Cat, however wild it is, but I know that a feral cat is literally wild to an incredible degree.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
yes i can see you like Wolves you even try to justify them being illegally removed from the Endangered Species List

it shows you love foxes aswell

and WHY should i not mention cats in this thread when its relevant! bird diseases arnt are they .....however you try to ignore it everyone knows cats kill birds and other wildlife!!! just because birds have to deal with other problems like Trichonomiasis dosent mean cat owners should dismiss the fact that free roaming cats are devestating to birds aswell.....And infact because birds are suffering from such diseases makes owners even more irresponsible that they also have the added pressures of cat predation on their numbers!!!

so just so im absolutley clear here....are you saying that the 9 million domestic cats (a large number of which roam free) are doing no harm to our wildlife????? and this predator is the only one that you think dosent need to be controlled???? (with the exception of the ferals you want shooting)
Im saying if the LAW says Cats need controlling then Id be happy to comply. If the LAW says they should be kept in then so be it. Point is, the law doesnt say that does it. However, as far as Foxes are concerned, we are allowed to control and manage the numbers of them, they are a vermin species and need to be addressed as such. Hope that helps you!
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Im saying if the LAW says Cats need controlling then Id be happy to comply. If the LAW says they should be kept in then so be it. Point is, the law doesnt say that does it. However, as far as Foxes are concerned, we are allowed to control and manage the numbers of them, they are a vermin species and need to be addressed as such. Hope that helps you!
lmfao so basically you take no responsibility for your pets predating our wildlife then and you use the lack of a LAW as an excuse! hahaaaaaa ...oh well as the saying goes 'theres non so blind as those who do not see' hey

and who says foxes are a 'vermin species'??? certainly not DEFRA!.........oh wait that'll be YOU wont it
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 09:44 AM
I agree but to trap and "humanely" PTS a feral Cat, how would you do it? Personally I could never ever shoot a Cat, however wild it is, but I know that a feral cat is literally wild to an incredible degree.
they do it twice a year in Ibeza. I have a friend who helps out every time and sorts out any that need follow on care.

So I don't KNOW how exactly but I do know it can and is done.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
lmfao so basically you take no responsibility for your pets predating our wildlife then and you use the lack of a LAW as an excuse! hahaaaaaa ...oh well as the saying goes 'theres non so blind as those who do not see' hey

and who says foxes are a 'vermin species'??? certainly not DEFRA!.........oh wait that'll be YOU wont it
Absolutely classic reply, did you NOT read my posts where I said my cats cannot get off my property?

Foxes are a nuisance in the wrong areas, whether you agree with me hold no interest for me at all.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 10:49 AM
they do it twice a year in Ibeza. I have a friend who helps out every time and sorts out any that need follow on care.

So I don't KNOW how exactly but I do know it can and is done.

rune
If you find out Id be interested to hear how they go about it. Ive trapped Cats in colonies for neutering, whereby they use a "crush" cage to sedate them, but I cannot for the life of me see them going to so much trouble (although it wouldnt be for us) if they were going to kill them anyway. I suppose shooting is the easiest and quickest. Im talking truly wild colonies, not town Cats in groups.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 11:05 AM

rune
I'd rather know an animal was shot rather than trapped (in most cicumstances) or poisioned . Seen too many cats, foxes, rats die from being poisioned because people have thought it was "kinder" to the animal . I come from a background where my uncles, friends etc all shoot and have grown up in the countryside/farms - only twice in my life have I witnessed someone missing a shot, and the animal having to be shot again. Death is almost instant. Although, I know there are many people out there who can't shoot for toffee, and cause more harm than good!

Either way there is no "nice" way of controling numbers of species, or "pest" species, but something has to be put in place to avoid "tipping the balance" and causing more chaos. Neutering is good- if you can catch the animal, but you can stress the animal out in the process, and risk the chance of taming the animal whilst it is in care, which causes problems in itself.

All I can say is I wish humans didn't try and play god! Causes more problems than it is worth.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Intelligence certainly. They are way up on dogs! Honestly. How long does it take to house train a dog? It takes a Cat no time, nothing at all. Just show them the litter tray, sorted! Like I said they can take off for many hours having never left the house before and just come home, dogs would be totally lost!

Their intelligence is "different" to dogs. Dogs will do things because you tell them to, Cats do it because they want to, or they just dont!

"They wont be bullied, coerced or bribed.
"

Odd way to describe training a dog and / or pup.
Page 21 of 37 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 > Last »