View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LolaDobie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2006, 07:04 PM
I just joined, so have missed most of the conversation, obviously. But I noticed early in this thread were complaints about rescue sites being cliquey and down on members who breed dogs, or keep their dogs outdoors.

In my opinion, such sites undermine the very goals rescue people should be aiming for. In Ireland the animal welfare situation is really terrible, and we are finding that, if anything is to be achieved in improving this, we need to take all types of animal owner on board, find out what we have in common, rather than our differences, and work to achieve what we can, one step at a time.

Cliquey-ness among animal rescuers has been our downfall for years, and a few really awesome people who saw and recognised this are now transforming the animal welfare movement over here. Sure it's still gonna be a long, slow, uphill struggle, but recognising what was the biggest thing holding us back was the first step.

Anvil Ireland, the main organisation working towards this, is prepared to work with farmers, breeders, even the Greyhound Board, anyone that can be brought to see that many of the goals would benefit all.

Has anyone here seen the ANVIL site? I recommend a look:

And please noone attack me for posting this I am not trying to turn this into an animal rescue site. Just pointing out that the ones that exclude or victimise people, as described earlier, are merely shooting themselves in the foot.
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2006, 10:18 PM
I think its great here,I visit as often as I can,but never feel 'out of the loop' if I haven't managed to post for a while,and people here are so willing to help and offer advice or just have a chat, its great!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Im not Bonkers.................. my shrink told me Im perfectly ok
Probably cos you were making his couch look untidy and he never wanted to see you again
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Probably cos you were making his couch look untidy and he never wanted to see you again

Ooooooh Foxy, I so want to buy you a drink for that
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post

Ooooooh Foxy, I so want to buy you a drink for that

Mines a southern comfort and coke then please bod
spot
Dogsey Veteran

25-10-2006, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by LolaDobie View Post
I just joined, so have missed most of the conversation, obviously. But I noticed early in this thread were complaints about rescue sites being cliquey and down on members who breed dogs, or keep their dogs outdoors.

In my opinion, such sites undermine the very goals rescue people should be aiming for. In Ireland the animal welfare situation is really terrible, and we are finding that, if anything is to be achieved in improving this, we need to take all types of animal owner on board, find out what we have in common, rather than our differences, and work to achieve what we can, one step at a time.

Cliquey-ness among animal rescuers has been our downfall for years, and a few really awesome people who saw and recognised this are now transforming the animal welfare movement over here. Sure it's still gonna be a long, slow, uphill struggle, but recognising what was the biggest thing holding us back was the first step.

Anvil Ireland, the main organisation working towards this, is prepared to work with farmers, breeders, even the Greyhound Board, anyone that can be brought to see that many of the goals would benefit all.

Has anyone here seen the ANVIL site? I recommend a look:

And please noone attack me for posting this I am not trying to turn this into an animal rescue site. Just pointing out that the ones that exclude or victimise people, as described earlier, are merely shooting themselves in the foot.
Sorry but I dont think members of rescue sites are cliquey but find it extremely frustrating when someone posts on them about just buying a dog from some bloke down the road or Ive just bred my little cute pup cuz she's sooo cute! What do these people expect if the site is a rescue site? You may feel they do no good but many dogs have found new homes and been bought to safety because of the people on those very sites.

I think this site is cliquey in certain ways, you are not allowed to post links to rescue sites if they have a forum, even in PMs yet on some rescue sites they actively encourage posting of other sites.

Yes its very welcoming and friendly here until you question why someone bought a designer dog or why its ok not to own a dog for life.

However yes I do come on here still because I do care about dogs and will help where I can and I think there are also some excellent dog owners on here.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 07:34 AM
i disagree on some of the above I have been here since almost day one seen many posters come and go ....the rules are set for us all ....I am an occasional breeder and have never been slated by those who know my ethics i get on well with rescue members and listen to their point of views as well ...i understand their frustration and most understand why good breeders breed

when we did the birmingham trip me and scotbun spend most of the time together we both left that trip holding the upsmost of respect for one another

its called listening to all views ...thats what makes a forum tick
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Aww brings a tear to my eye that you Newbie's feel included, and I wipe that at the fact you realise most of the crew on here are bonkers
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 10:08 AM
I don't post on Dogsey much. I do like to read through the topics though. I find everybodys opinions interesting. Thats why i like dogsey cos you are aloud to have a 'opinion'.
Theres all different kinds of characters on here who 'click'. I like to have a laugh at the 'stronger' characters banter.
I am a back ground person in general. I like to sit at the back of the class & listen.
I think it all depends on peoples experiences. I had a really bad experience on a forum, to which i was made an outcast.
Some people don't like it if you don't agree with their advice! I was made to feel like s**t!
Its such a shame when that happens. Some people aren't open to help. They like to feel a martar. I look at it as their loss. My partner calls me a martar. Its all down to personal pride. Sometimes you've got to let someone take some weight off your shoulders. Never knock any help someone gives to you. As you will need it one day.
Any forum has a danger of a certain amount of trouble. I suppose we are all different. There is no right or wrong way sometimes. If it works for you then great. As a human race we have to learn to agree to disagree.
We all come on here cos we LOVE our dogs. I have read some things which make me cringe, but i put it down to a lack of experience. I certainly learnt a lot with my first BC Blue.
I love coming on here. I think you are all great!
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I think this site is cliquey in certain ways, you are not allowed to post links to rescue sites if they have a forum, even in PMs yet on some rescue sites they actively encourage posting of other sites.
Sorry, spot, but absolutely nothing you have mentioned is indicative of a cliquey forum. What you are describing is a forum with strict rules. That's entirely different to being cliquey.
Page 21 of 22 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 >