Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by beowulf881 View Post
I really don't care if anyone believes anything I say or not.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Great minds think alike.
Again

rune
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
'100 Silliest Things People Say About Dogs' by Alexandra Semyonova. It's not specifically about evolution but has a big section at the beginning about wolves and dogs. I'm not really sure how much credit to give her theory though because she says some stuff later in the book that I'm not certain I agree with.
Ok thanks

I'm reading dogs: their fossil relatives and evolutionary history. Ok so it doesn't sound as appealing as your book, but its very interesting so far, and there's some nice illistrations too.

I'm still on the chapters focussing on ancient canids and similar though unrelateed species.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Couldn't find Andrews ass on the web, can u send a pic of it to my message box?
Lol, love it...its the kinda thing I'd say.
beowulf881
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Lol, love it...its the kinda thing I'd say.
If his ass is that amazing, I want to see it for myself
beowulf881
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Ok - my fault. Rephrase.

What point would a wolfdog become a dog (IYO)?
I really don't know, and I can't really see that it matters.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:59 PM
I really don't know, and I can't really see that it matters.
Hmm - that says a lot for me.

Maybe we should call every dog a Wolf dog.

ETA - Why do you call your Boy a Wolfdog? If Defra classes f3 and beyond as dogs, surely it would be better just to call him a Cross, or choose the nearest breed he is alike to and call him a cross of that? (Mal x, GSD x etc)
(I do this with My pointer x, I know what breeds make her up, yet her appearance is more pointer like, so I often call her a pointer x)
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Something I've just remebered is the scientific reseach has also proven that chimps have 98% of the dna of humans, yet we too are 2 completely separate species. Suppose creatures with the same dnamust evolve differenly according to the different environment and conditions they are evolving in
Yeah, from what I've read and understand, species with similar DNA tend to have a common ancestor rather than having evolved from one another Such as your example of chimps and humans.
Ok thanks

I'm reading dogs: their fossil relatives and evolutionary history. Ok so it doesn't sound as appealing as your book, but its very interesting so far, and there's some nice illistrations too.

I'm still on the chapters focussing on ancient canids and similar though unrelateed species.
Haha on the contrary, your books sounds great! Especially if it has nice illustrations, I love the anatomical illustrations you get in science books! Might have to get hold of a copy once I'm done with the pile of books I've already got going
murph
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-06-2011, 10:02 PM
I just think that by the 5th generation you may start to see more consistant results, assuming there is an aim in mind.

I think F3 is just that little bit to close (jmo) to the pure wolf, to have started to make headway with removing undesirable temperament trates. If it was me breeding, that would be along with health, my first priority, getting things like the correct ear shape, eye colour, coat length are things that can come with time.

Out of interest where would you draw your line and why?
hard to say. Don't really feel qualified to say
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
Haha on the contrary, your books sounds great! Especially if it has nice illustrations, I love the anatomical illustrations you get in science books! Might have to get hold of a copy once I'm done with the pile of books I've already got going
Finally, someone else who appreciates anatomical diagrams and science books.

Hopefully it will let me post the link
http://books.google.com/books?id=cta...page&q&f=false

The other 2 I've got on the go are:

Extinct Animals: an encyclopedia of species that have disappeared during Human history
There's some interesting animals in there, but on the canid/like front, there's the Falkland Island fox/wolf and the Tasmanian tiger/wolf. Think there's another couple in there as well.

That also has ilistrations, along with a list of book/websites/articles etc for further reading on each species. It also has in the introduction info on the 7 mass extinction events, we're in the 7th right now.
Unfortunately, it can be quite expensive to get hold of. I suggest if you want it, you try and get it used/second hand unless you don't mind paying. Ebook versions are also a lot cheaper.

Then there's
Beasts of Eden: walking whales, dawn horses and other enigmas of Mammal evolution
Haven't read very much of it but, its already referenced ancient canid like animals, lacks on the picture front but is still interesting non the less.
Page 21 of 22 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 >