View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:29 PM
SB the halal slaughter he saw was done in a different area, which fits with what you said.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Thanks so much again. He is very excited and very lucky, it's a fab school.

Lovely that he's so excited

In my area, the Catholic schools have the most amazing academic records. It's funny: personally I am not in favour of single faith schools BUT I can see that they often seem to get fabulous results!

I attended a mixed faith school and loved having friends from so many different backgrounds and religions.

I'm wandering off topic again, sorry guys!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
oooh yes..( slightly OT...I read very interesting piece the other day about companies who make a big thing about British Beef/ FR Eggs, but import their chicken from Brazil etc. Often frozen poultry is foreign)

Wonder where these countries fit in with "perfect rearing and slaughter"
I remember reading a while back about a particular consigment of shipping containers comming from China and the contents.Amongst the normal electronics,clothes etc were oven ready chickens which suprised me.I know China used to have one of the worst reputations for how they treat animals,but unsure if anythings changed.

ps.Something i learnt on a pub quiz years ago-all corned beef no matter the brand is made in Brazil!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
No not clutching at straws, one of
My close friends would be really ill if a dog came up and touched her. Truth. I am the same with cats. Fact.
i dont doubt it.

as i said impled in my last post, i think you are taking azz too literally

as in i think he is referring to your tenuous and stretched angles for an argument that doesnt exist in the first place

the reported women abused a diabled man's dog; her bad, end of
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Kosher meat is eaten by Muslims both in the UK and - as Smokey Bear rightly notes - in other countries. I personally know quite a few Muslims who buy meat from a local Kosher butcher. Meat is kosher according to the criteria I outlined above so nothing offensive there to Muslims in terms of theology -)

Jews who keep Kosher will not eat Halal meat - Halal rules are slightly less strict, which is why. The Kosher, or Kashrut rules, are actually rather complex when delved into, I've just outlined them very generally above -)
Here's an excerpt from wikipedia on Islamic Slaughtering:

Islamic Slaughtering

The act of slaughtering itself is preceded by mentioning the name of God. Invoking the name of God at the moment of slaughtering is sometimes interpreted as acknowledgment of God's right over all things, and thanking God for the sustenance He provides: it is a sign the food is taken not in sin or in gluttony, but to survive and praise Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala, as the most common blessing is, "Bismiallah", or, "In the Name of God". Furthermore, it is an asking of permission to take the life of the animal to be slaughtered,[dubious – discuss] and endows the slaughterer with a sense of gratitude for God's creation,[dubious – discuss] even prior to partaking in the meat of the animal.[citation needed]

Thus, the slaughter itself is preceded by the words "In the name of Allah (Bismillah). It is not regarded appropriate to use the phrase "Bismillah al Raĥman Al Raĥim" (In the name of God the Beneficent the Merciful) in this situation, because slaughtering is an act of subdual rather than mercy.
Either way it is a moot point - both rituals are out-dated and inhumane imo.

I appreciate that back in the day perhaps those methods were quite likely the most 'humane' - but we've moved on since then
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Good post Azz & well placed
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I remember reading a while back about a particular consigment of shipping containers comming from China and the contents.Amongst the normal electronics,clothes etc were oven ready chickens which suprised me.I know China used to have one of the worst reputations for how they treat animals,but unsure if anythings changed.

ps.Something i learnt on a pub quiz years ago-all corned beef no matter the brand is made in Brazil!

Things are changing slowly in China, like many other countries, culture change has to be approached with a pragmatic outlook; ie you catch more flies with sugar then you do with vinegar!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Things are changing slowly in China, like many other countries, culture change has to be approached with a pragmatic outlook; ie you catch more flies with sugar then you do with vinegar!
Wish i could find out whats eating my Sweet pea and Nasturtiums - admit i dont feel very much compassion towards them
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
And there are two sets of numbers next to each country, what do these stand for?
sorry forgot to put - the first number equates to number of horses killed for meat production the second number equates metric tonnes

from animal Welfare Council - US

the amount of horse meat sold and eaten in the UK is minimal and is imported from S. France, it was eaten regular in the UK until the late 30s and even later in the US
most of our European neighbours eat it though

a lot of animals that we see and keep as pets other countries eat such as dogs in China, South Korea - cats in South China, Peru - guinea pigs in the Andes - dont some countries eat rats? yet many in the UK keep as pets
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
sorry forgot to put - the first number equates to number of horses killed for meat production the second number equates metric tonnes

from animal Welfare Council - US

the amount of horse meat sold and eaten in the UK is minimal and is imported from S. France, it was eaten regular in the UK until the late 30s and even later in the US
most of our European neighbours eat it though

a lot of animals that we see and keep as pets other countries eat such as dogs in China, South Korea - cats in South China, Peru - guinea pigs in the Andes - dont some countries eat rats? yet many in the UK keep as pets
Thank you, yes I have eaten horse and of course rabbit which many people also keep as pets.
Page 20 of 41 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 > Last »