Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I've been reading up on the latest posts in here, and I'm getting the gist that dogs have to be restrained in the back of a car now, so I have a question please, which is, is it necessary to restrain your dogs in the back of an estate car even if you have a proper dog guard behind the front seats then please??? I have the back seats down you see and both dogs are free to move about in the back, but behind a very strong, made for the car, dog guard which I thought would be ok, but it seems not then??? I only ask coz I'm a worryguts!!
What you need to consider is the distance your dog will travel in the car, during an accident. The greater the distance, the greater the force of impact and the greater the chance of serious damage to front passengers and the dogs themselves.

I do not think that having dogs loose in the back, even with a front seat guard is enough I'm afraid.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Because I am sick fed up with the attitude of some members. They do what they feel is right and condemn anyone who does different. I will make decisions for my dog, and not let over people belittle me and try to make me feel bad for what I decide. I should not need to explain myself, or my decisions, to anyone and if I do, it will be my choice. When I wrote that post, I was disgusted by some of the posts I had just read, so I didnt wish to say anymore. It also was to give me a chance to see what, if any, conclusions people would jump to.
What posts have disgusted you? Why haven't you answered my question about restraining Jake? All I want to do is try and understand why some people choose to take such risks with their dog's and other people's lives.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
So do you restrain Jake or not? If so, how?

Does the fact that one border collie would slam into you and Patrick with the force of nice, 12 stone men not worry you at all? This will instantly kill you both and the dog/s if you brake at 60mph?
How can it when I have a guard
when we travel to scotland there will be a guard too behind our seats.

Jackbox ...
As for ''getting heads around things'' I look on forums and read other people threads I have trouble getting my head round.

However I think well what ever sails thier boat.....

So No I do not have my dogs harnessed, but they do have guards, no they don't stick thier heads out of windows, but they have air con on, No foster children do not go without seat belts.......

and if no-one likes it slam away. I find too many people stand on thier ''perfect high horses'' and look down thier noses, know what, I doubt they are as perfect as they would like us to think
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
That's exactly what I do but I don't have the dog guard behind the front seats and i open the windows too far.

I'm very confused as to what it is i'm doing wrong aside from the window's down for Monty to hang his head out now.
Get the dog guard & shut the windows & youll be sorted
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Get the dog guard & shut the windows & youll be sorted
Simples!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 07:11 PM
i do not think a harness is any safer than a guard, just different. depends what you want.

Mine are caged , which is how id "ideally" like it. Cages can have their disadvantages, i heard of a horror story of a dog in a crash in a cage that acted like a wire cheese grater, howver the dog would have been dead already, dont want to think of my dogs like that. but i consider cages THE best way for "my" dogs to travel.

I was in a contested accident a few years ago where in court the other sides(lying idiot) tryed to say that the dogs had distracted me, luckily i was able to prove what good travellers they were & they were safe & of no danger to me when driving. But still not niceto be questioned in court!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 07:27 PM
In Chris' car (a Saloon) Teagan has to go on the back seats.
She is harnessed in, but when we have had to break suddenly, she still hits the back of the front seat, and falls on the floor behind the seats!

In the boot of my car (CR-V), she only goes as far as the back of the back seats. She can't go over them as there is a dog guard (plus the seats are pretty high).
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
How can it when I have a guard
when we travel to scotland there will be a guard too behind our seats.

Jackbox ...
As for ''getting heads around things'' I look on forums and read other people threads I have trouble getting my head round.

However I think well what ever sails thier boat.....

So No I do not have my dogs harnessed, but they do have guards, no they don't stick thier heads out of windows, but they have air con on, No foster children do not go without seat belts.......

and if no-one likes it slam away. I find too many people stand on thier ''perfect high horses'' and look down thier noses, know what, I doubt they are as perfect as they would like us to think
A front dog guard doesn't stop the force of impact All it does is stop the dogs climbing into the front cabin.

It's not so bad as long as the rear seats are up because the distance travelled is reduced, but it's still not a safe way to travel. That is a fact, not something I have made up for fun to show myself as being on my high horse and looking down my nose.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
In Chris' car (a Saloon) Teagan has to go on the back seats.
She is harnessed in, but when we have had to break suddenly, she still hits the back of the front seat, and falls on the floor behind the seats!

In the boot of my car (CR-V), she only goes as far as the back of the back seats. She can't go over them as there is a dog guard (plus the seats are pretty high).
Very safe and sensible.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
What about in a crash & he gets out & runs away? Lost or a cause of another crash. This is the MAIN reason why mine are restrained so in the case of a accident i know they will be safer.

The only thing that worries me is in the case of a fire they would be harder to get out. In that case id die trying to get them out if it came to it.
I havent said whether he is restrained or not. If he isnt restrained he could get loose in a crash, or jump around being distracting etc. But restrained in a harness could, like you said, make him difficult to reach in certain situations eg. fire. Also, having a dog in the boot could prove fatal if a car crashes into the back... Every option IMO, could cause problems and it is our decision to make the one we think is best.
Page 20 of 49 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 > Last »