View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2010, 08:49 AM
1cutedog - it was on the tip of my tongue to ask her is she could email me a copy wish I'd done it now. Still tomorrow will be here soon and I'll be peering out of the window looking for the postie!
Have you checked that this behaviourist is a member of Apbc? Might be worth doing that cos one that I was contemplating going to had a brilliant website and although he stated he was a member he wasn't on their membership list and then I was told in confidence about some of his methods which made me decide to avoid him.

Don't be so hard on yourself you'r not a bad mum at all you just have a rebel that doesn't want to give in easily.

Our last dog, same breed as Bessie, I had trained to stay on her own within two weeks as I had to go back to work but with Bessie it just didn't seem to work the same. I went through the "what have I done wrong" stage but pinpointing it won't do any good anyhow. It's happened and now I have to try and put it right.

Bitkin that would explain a lot if Jimmi was used to always being with other dogs or humans. But with perserverence and dedication you will win through in the end I'm sure.

Cintvelt thank you so much for your words of encouragement it's something we badly need when nothing we do seems to make any difference to these stubborn dogs of ours! We have a grandson just a couple of months older than Bessie and from the first we have always likened their behaviour to each other lol.

Adam thanks so much for your input but like 1cutedog says we already do everything you suggest - it just doesn't seem to make any difference.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Cardaph I do hope your report turns up tomorrow it must be terrible waiting on it, I know I am really impatient for things like that.

I haven't checked any behaviourists out yet but if I'm going to use one I will, plus whoever I choose will get a right grilling from me before I decide whether I think they are suitable to 'mess' with my Lana

I'm going to give Lana time to settle in here as it's only been two months and I was very unsettled myself to begin with and then maybe try again. I'll play it by ear and see how it goes with her.

I can't believe how much I am looking forward to my two hours of freedom tomorrow, feeling quite excited. It just shows what a boring life I lead It's going to be brilliant going out and not having to worry about Lana and hopefully she'll have a good time at the dog sitters.

Let's hope your postie arrives early tomorrow and has the report with him/her.
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Guess what? No flippin report in today's mail! The steam was rising I can tell you, I've just phoned the office and told them to email me it.. The girl is going to check it out and do so she said she can't understand why I haven't received it yet. No neither can I!

I think you are wise to let Lana settle in a bit more it's early days if you have recently moved.

Know exactly what you mean getting unworried time out on your own lol. I still love escaping to the shops on my own without dog in tow. And I think we actually need that time out and away from them otherwise it just gets too much to cope with
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2010, 05:38 PM
How frustrating is that. I hope you've received it by email by now.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Oh Cardaph, how irritating when you have moved mountains to sort Bessie out and suddenly it all comes to a halt because you are waiting for something which should have arrived days ago. I do hope that report arrives soon.

Yes - I agree with both of you that time away is so important; I admit to feeling like a different person after half an hour or an hour away just mooching about, but of course this is in the secure knowledge that husband is in charge back at home. 1cutedog, I totally understand how you feel about going out (hope you have a lovely time, and don't spend too much after all that time away from the shops!) - something that we took for granted has suddenly become a complete luxury!!

Jimmi is still steadily improving when I go out and leave him - in fact now I no longer sneak out of the door when he is not looking, just say "won't be long, back in a minute" - husband says that he is fine, and although he keeps going to the window, it is done calmly and when I return he is not over the top. I am hoping that all this will help with him being left totally alone eventually.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Oh Cardaph, how irritating when you have moved mountains to sort Bessie out and suddenly it all comes to a halt because you are waiting for something which should have arrived days ago. I do hope that report arrives soon.

Yes - I agree with both of you that time away is so important; I admit to feeling like a different person after half an hour or an hour away just mooching about, but of course this is in the secure knowledge that husband is in charge back at home. 1cutedog, I totally understand how you feel about going out (hope you have a lovely time, and don't spend too much after all that time away from the shops!) - something that we took for granted has suddenly become a complete luxury!!

Jimmi is still steadily improving when I go out and leave him - in fact now I no longer sneak out of the door when he is not looking, just say "won't be long, back in a minute" - husband says that he is fine, and although he keeps going to the window, it is done calmly and when I return he is not over the top. I am hoping that all this will help with him being left totally alone eventually.
That sounds just perfick Bitkin, you say it in a nonchalent, relaxed manner, so Jimmi takes it the same, that's brilliant! You ARE progressing and I don't want to be presumtuous, but I'm guessing, as soon as the PAIR of you venture out, and you just say that same line, with the same relaxed attitude, he'll just mooch off and go and lie down - I'll have everything crossed that he will, and I actually believe that he will, so you must too - and remember, no looking back, no peeping through windows!!!

I'm glad you seem to have got yourself sorted too 1cutedog, so enjoy your 2 hours of freedom tomorrow you've certainly earned it!

I hope your report comes through whichever way Cardaph, and I think you were right to vent your wrath at them, but good luck with it all.

Now pass that bottle please if there's any left in it!!!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Thank you Helena - as always you are so encouraging.

*passes bottle - fortunately it is very magic, or it would be empty by now
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I reckon Cardaph is busily reading her notes and training Bessie to stay at home alone
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 09:24 PM
How is everyone doing?

I have nothing much to report, except that Jimmi has added a new problem to his repertoire....but we are on top of it and it is nearly sorted so won't bother putting it on here as it is not part of SA anyway.

Saturday is the day that he will be left here in charge of daughter for a few hours..........I am a litle nervous

*fills glass from magic bottle - the glass being pint sized
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Hi girls had a day off yesterday and met a friend in town for coffee and a chat then some window shopping - my time out time!

Got the report with a follow up phone call asking how we were doing and apologising profusely for it not getting to me sooner so will say no more about it. Actually starting the work today - I'll type the first paragraph of her conclusions:

"The difficulties being experienced with Bessie focused on her inability to be left. When separated from family members she becomes vocal, this has led to the family not leaving her at all. Bessie's behaviour has been evident since she was at least 16 weeks old which would indicate that she has never learnt to be isolated, as in this situation she gets less attention. As Bessie is a very clever dog she has learnt to direct her mental ability into inappropriate behaviours such as barking.

I know the present situation can be improved greatly if everyone with her applies the following information consistently for the next 8 to 12 weeks. "

Then she went on to list the things we have to do 7 paragraphs in all. Nothing looks too hard to put into practise and we have already cracked one with her not sleeping in the bedroom - can't believe how easy that one has been (up to now!)

Hope Jimmi will surprise you with how good he is being on Sat. Bitkin.

How are things with you and Lana 1cutedog have you managed any more time away from her?

Helena thanks for the good wishes - we all certainly need them! It's so good to know we aren't battling this on our own and can come on here and have a moan about it.
Hopefully one day we will be saying yeah we've cracked it!
Page 20 of 44 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 > Last »