View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Comments made included, " whats she thinking off taking a mongrel like that in the ring", and, "look at that awful back, where`s the slope on it ?", all done with sniggering and ridicule.
I was a child [ Junior ] handler at the time and thats what the adults were coming out with.
Patch how awful! I'm quite shocked. In all my years in showing I've never heard comments like that round our rings. No wonder it put you off.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
The nearest reflecting his build on the link you gave is Son of F15 [ 16th photo down ].
F15 and F16 are fabulous looking GSDs ... the first few at the top of the page are horrendous in my opinion (and I am a GSD lover!).
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Which is literally what happened the one and only time I showed my first ever dog, a Pedigree Alsatian, [ the only dog I ever had from a breeder, back in the 70`s ].
The nearest reflecting his build on the link you gave is Son of F15 [ 16th photo down ].
Comments made included, " whats she thinking off taking a mongrel like that in the ring", and, "look at that awful back, where`s the slope on it ?", all done with sniggering and ridicule.
I was a child [ Junior ] handler at the time and thats what the adults were coming out with.
Why ?
Because I was daring to Show a dog of older `type` than the slopes which were in by then, [ and which have got increasingly worse imo, especially in the US Show Alsatians which can`t be realistically claimed to be anything but cariacatures of what they once were ].
If I had my beloved boy now and wanted to Show him, he would probably face a physical barricade to stop him getting in a ring at all, never mind be laughed out of one.
That really is terrible. The penchant for sloping backs is what put me off getting a GSD - the physiology of the slope looks wrong and I've seen some around here trying to run - I grew up with one that had a wonderful, strong straight back too.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
That really is terrible. The penchant for sloping backs is what put me off getting a GSD - the physiology of the slope looks wrong and I've seen some around here trying to run - I grew up with one that had a wonderful, strong straight back too.

There are still a few about if you look hard enough. Obedience lines or working line GSDs are a good place to start

Flame has a good straight back and is a mix of obedience/working trials and police dog lines.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
If they were the sort of people who'd rehome a dog because it didn't turn out good enough for the ring there's no way in hell they'd ever even get ON my list let alone get a puppy! This is what I mean about vetting owners BEFORE the puppy becomes available. I don't think people are getting the idea that not all show people are the horrible heartless breed ruining gits that they're portrayed to be on this forum!

I don't think any of this is meant as a personal attack on you Debs, but the argument from the other side seems to be saying that anyone who breeds dogs for any reason other than the showring or work, is a puppy farmer, or at least unethical.

I, and others (I presume), would just like to put forward the notion that not everything in the showring is as rosy as some would have us believe.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
There are still a few about if you look hard enough. Obedience lines or working line GSDs are a good place to start

Flame has a good straight back and is a mix of obedience/working trials and police dog lines.
Thank you Moobli - that is where I would look in the future if I were lucky enough to get a bigger house and garden and another dog ...
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Patch how awful! I'm quite shocked. In all my years in showing I've never heard comments like that round our rings. No wonder it put you off.
Before it happened I was taught ring craft and how to be a good Junior handler by a Setter breeder who kindly allowed me to handle her dogs then she worked with me to get my boy ready for the Show ring.
Because of what happened with my boy, I never set foot in a Breed show ring again and never will. It took many years before I was persuaded to even try a companion show, [ at least 20 years as it goes ], and deep down I think its why I dont bother with `correct` ringcraft at all and enjoy my crew being utter clowns in the Fun ring, I just don`t ever again want to feel the association to how I was made to feel, it has never left me.
It was`nt just the conformation side but to have my beloved boy ridiculed, that was unforgivable to me, he was such a special boy that I can never have another Alsatian, none would ever come close to him in my eyes and I know that would be unfair on another no matter how much my heart is rooted in the breed
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
I don't think any of this is meant as a personal attack on you Debs, but the argument from the other side seems to be saying that anyone who breeds dogs for any reason other than the showring or work, is a puppy farmer, or at least unethical.

I, and others (I presume), would just like to put forward the notion that not everything in the showring is as rosy as some would have us believe.
I've already stated that there are show kennels that are just the same, there are also working kennels, agility people, obedience people who are equally as bad. There are Accredited Breeders who I wouldn't sell a puppy to either.
Becky
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I've already stated that there are show kennels that are just the same, there are also working kennels, agility people, obedience people who are equally as bad. There are Accredited Breeders who I wouldn't sell a puppy to either.
Becky
This still doesn't explain why you are so against breeding dogs that don't conform to the present day show type ie resemble the original type, without exaggerations.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
This still doesn't explain why you are so against breeding dogs that don't conform to the present day show type ie resemble the original type, without exaggerations.
where have I said that?
Becky
Page 20 of 54 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 > Last »