Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-05-2008, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=Aunty Amanda;1377070

Except if greyhounds had to die out in order for them to stop dying in their thousands, I'd accept that which I think you would disagree with

[/QUOTE]

Think Milne was stating that and her main point

Peters(greyhoundaction) has said t in the past the more greyhounds killed (To Claire at white lodge) the sooner the SPORT will be banned.
Aunty Amanda
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2008, 03:16 PM
No - big difference in what she's saying to what I am. I'm stating that if a consequence of banning racing was that the breed naturally died out then that would be a sacrifice I could live with.

I can't speak for anyone but me Galty as I've told you before (and I speak a lot!)

If I go quiet its because I'm away to work soon....
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't see why it should be banned altogether !

Just take away the money element, and the genuine people will be the only ones left racing their dogs for fun, instead of greed !
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Aunty Amanda View Post
No - big difference in what she's saying to what I am. I'm stating that if a consequence of banning racing was that the breed naturally died out then that would be a sacrifice I could live with.

I can't speak for anyone but me Galty as I've told you before (and I speak a lot!)

If I go quiet its because I'm away to work soon....
That maybe ok for you , but there are many people who would be very distressed to see such a magnificent breed lost.

For any breed of dog to be allowed to die out , simple because there is an element of its existence some people deem cruel, is just plain stupid, not to mention immoral.

Will you then move on to the horse racing industry.

Simply better to be a voice and help to change the industry for the better.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2008, 10:04 PM
As the owner of a big dog, personally I get bloody pizzed off with small dog owners who think it funny when their little dog snaps at mine. But thats a different debate.

As for small furries - I've always had a cat with my five and to date, no issues.

Want to take you seriously but frankly, I can't for some reason...

Anyway what has your post got to do with rescuing and rehoming greyhounds? Someone told me a few weeks ago its harder to get a greyhound from a greyhound rescue than any other breed rescue because they do such stringent homechecks.

And Emma Milne wasn't pointing out that greyhounds 'have their problems'. She was pointing out that they are'well known for their murderous instincts'. She misrepresented the breed as a whole. She also could have potentially set back the image that they are fantastic pets years. Which would have, of course, ended with even less of these dogs finding a home.

You should try rehoming a Flat Coat...infact even getting a Flat Coat pup through the society...
Yes, small dogs may snap at yours...this particualr small dog was killed in a savage attack by a greyhound. Haven't heard of many greyhounds being killed in a savage attack by a small dog.
AS for the rest of your post...what's the point in me responding when you don't take me seriously?
In all honesty the people who have done more damage to the rehoming of greyhounds are the people who flew off the handle over Emma Milnes article, Emma milne was writing in a dog magazine and those with greyhounds should have taken a breath before leaping in with both feet, her article would then have been the next days poo picker upper....

Originally Posted by galty View Post
No she was pointing out that all dogs attacks against other dogs where down to Greyhounds because the SPORT made them KILLERS.

She has also stated that Ped dogs because of the Illness they have, and cross breeds do not have,that no Ped dogs should be breed, only cross breeds.

You do not take the view that its down to BLAME THE DEED NOT THE BREED so the Genoicd of the Greyhound is the way to go.

And Lurchers.

And Whippets

And any hunting dog.

Or do you except the CRAP that this stupid women thinks that some Greyhounds are KILLERS so the whole breed has to die out.

Quote from her Artical

I am sure there are thousands of Greyhounds that have been rehomed successfully and am not suggesting that they are all bad, but do the good justify the actions of the bad, and can we afford to take those risks?

This is an attack on the Breed its self and not the Industry.

Other quote

[B] I am not a fan of dog racing and personally wouldn`t be at all upset if did not exist. There are people who would be upset to see the breed disappear,but if a breed of dog kills animals on a regular basis/B]
No I don't think Emma Milne said all dog attacks were down to greyhounds. Actually I think Emma Milne was blaming the deed (greyhound racing industry) not the breed.The quote you used is out of context, she was saying that yes, many greyhounds are great (strike her down now ) BUT that even though that is the case...does it still mean that rehoming racing greyhounds is appropriate??? She is NOT slamming the entire breed, she is slamming the industry...DEED not BREED
Aunty Amanda
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
That maybe ok for you , but there are many people who would be very distressed to see such a magnificent breed lost.

For any breed of dog to be allowed to die out , simple because there is an element of its existence some people deem cruel, is just plain stupid, not to mention immoral.

Will you then move on to the horse racing industry.

Simply better to be a voice and help to change the industry for the better.
I think more people are distressed at the fact that these dogs are dying in their thousands. In saying all of this, the greyhound being around 2000 years PRIOR to becoming 'racing dogs' kind of signifies that the breed would not die out.

Stupid? Immoral? Personally I think its compassionate but thats not a word I'd expect you to be familiar with or understand in any shape or form.

Change the industry??? Like the Greyhound Voice - top trainers and people involved in the industry who had a package to clean things up? How far did that get?

What are you on about with horse racing? Sorry - that makes me laugh because horse racing isn't my issue and probably never will be. I'm scared of horses!

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
You should try rehoming a Flat Coat...infact even getting a Flat Coat pup through the society...
Yes, small dogs may snap at yours...this particualr small dog was killed in a savage attack by a greyhound. Haven't heard of many greyhounds being killed in a savage attack by a small dog.
AS for the rest of your post...what's the point in me responding when you don't take me seriously?
In all honesty the people who have done more damage to the rehoming of greyhounds are the people who flew off the handle over Emma Milnes article, Emma milne was writing in a dog magazine and those with greyhounds should have taken a breath before leaping in with both feet, her article would then have been the next days poo picker upper....

No I don't think Emma Milne said all dog attacks were down to greyhounds. Actually I think Emma Milne was blaming the deed (greyhound racing industry) not the breed.The quote you used is out of context, she was saying that yes, many greyhounds are great (strike her down now ) BUT that even though that is the case...does it still mean that rehoming racing greyhounds is appropriate??? She is NOT slamming the entire breed, she is slamming the industry...DEED not BREED
Can't take anyone who uses that many seriously - sorry.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

24-05-2008, 03:19 PM
RSPCA press release with additional information below concerning Rebecca’s relationship with the vile and repugnant greyhound racing industry.

Bans For Greyhound Suffering

Rebecca Hagger (20) and Rosemary Hagger (51) both received 10-year bans at Peterborough Magistrates Court on 28 April (200 after previously pleading guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to three greyhounds and failing to meet the welfare needs of another four greyhounds.

Rosemary Hagger was banned from keeping dogs for 10 years and her daughter Rebecca was banned from keeping all animals for 10 years. Rebecca was also ordered to do 200 hours of community service and Rosemary was given a 12-month conditional discharge. The pair from Edgerley Drain Road, Peterborough, were each ordered to pay £250 in costs.

The RSPCA was contacted in September 2007. Inspectors found three greyhounds which were emaciated and had infected sores, contrary to section 4 of the Animal Welfare Act, 2006. The remaining four were underweight and had flea infestations and were living in dirty conditions with no food or water available, contrary to section 9 of the Animal Welfare Act, 2006.

A vet estimated that two of the dogs had been made to suffer unnecessarily for at least two months and one dog for at least one month.

In mitigation the defendants said that the dogs had belonged to Rosemary's husband (Rebecca's father) who had passed away.

The court heard that both defendants had worked in the greyhound racing industry and decided to impose a ban, despite Rebecca still having a job in the industry.

RSPCA inspector Kat Parfitt said: "Animals deserve much better than the conditions these dogs were kept in and should have access to veterinary treatment when they need it.”

Above text taken from RSPCA Press release 8 May 2008

END

Rebecca Hagger – licensed kennel hand, trainer and owner

Rebecca (known as Becky to her friends) Hagger was formerly a kennel hand for her father Frederick John Hagger; a trainer and owner attached to Peterborough greyhound stadium (one of 30 stadiums that come under the regulation of the National Greyhound Racing Club (NGRC)).
In 2007 Rebecca obtained a temporary trainers licence and was running the dogs at Peterborough stadium herself. It is reported that Rebecca shared ownership of the greyhounds with her father and was the sole owner after his death.
Racing Manager of Peterborough stadium Martin Race refused to say whether Rebecca was still allowed at the track and Noel Thompson representing the NGRC said: “As far as I am concerned if she is a licence holder or not has got nothing to do with matters has it?”
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2008, 03:24 PM
I think more people are distressed at the fact that these dogs are dying in their thousands. In saying all of this, the greyhound being around 2000 years PRIOR to becoming 'racing dogs' kind of signifies that the breed would not die out.

Stupid? Immoral? Personally I think its compassionate but thats not a word I'd expect you to be familiar with or understand in any shape or form.

Change the industry??? Like the Greyhound Voice - top trainers and people involved in the industry who had a package to clean things up? How far did that get?

What are you on about with horse racing? Sorry - that makes me laugh because horse racing isn't my issue and probably never will be. I'm scared of horses!

Can't take anyone who uses that many seriously - sorry.
How very grown up of you. It's exactly that sort of reaction that is damaging the message you are trying to put across.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2008, 03:32 PM
I
I would not expect you to know anything about how I feel or what I am passionate about ... as you dont know me.

If you are basing your statement on the fact I do not wish to see a breed extinguished... then thats fine by me.

YOU, are the one who said you would be happy to see the breed die out... where is the compassion in that.

To me that is extremism
spot
Dogsey Veteran

24-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I would not expect you to know anything about how I feel or what I am passionate about ... as you dont know me.

If you are basing your statement on the fact I do not wish to see a breed extinguished... then thats fine by me.

YOU, are the one who said you would be happy to see the breed die out... where is the compassion in that.

To me that is extremism
Many involved in greyhound rescue also agree. They would be very sad to see the breed die out but cannot stand by and watch the cruelty go on.

The compassion is in that there would be no more slaughtered, hanged, shot, starved to death etc greyhounds. If you would rather that went on then that is of course you right.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1rAB-P...oitations.com/

However as the greyhound is one of the oldest breed known why should it die out just because a sport that is fairly recent is banned?
Page 20 of 157 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 70 120 > Last »