Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
"so called" "unethical" whatever you want to call them, they pretend and come across as ethical breeders but in-reality are not. The public and genuine ethical breeders should be made aware of these individuals when they're caught out.
I agree, but I'm confused as to what they should/are called. Unethical breeder doesn't really describe them, I always thought an unethical breeder was a puppy farmer or back yard breeder.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Paddywack View Post
I agree, but I'm confused as to what they should/are called. Unethical breeder doesn't really describe them, I always thought an unethical breeder was a puppy farmer or back yard breeder.
Yes thats right.

ANYONE (regardless of what they call themselves) that is NOT ethical, Is therefore ...........Unethical !

BYBs tend to ignore any relevant needs before breeding, any ethics (they just have pet dogs that they breed for money)

Puppy farmers breed on larger scale as a business, again ignoring all ethics and just for money.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 12:11 PM
To me, an unethical breeder would be someone who breeds dogs on a larger scale than a BYB (who may only have one litter every few years) but who does not breed as many (nor with as many breeds) as a puppy farmer. They may, in all outward appearances be a good breeder. They may register their dogs. They may show with good results. But when one looks closer it is found that they do very little (if any) in the way of health testing and really couldn't give two hoots where their puppies go - as long as they go! It is these unethical breeders, along with BYBs and puppy farmers, who are responsible for the most dogs in rescue.

Debs
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2007, 12:13 PM
not to show that dog showing is *automatically* a qualification for being ethical in any area?
health testing is a sign of ethical breeding.
what other things did you personally have in mind for ethical breeding? - not meant as a critique, i'm curious what you feel?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2007, 12:16 PM
So you'd call them fake Ethical breeders, or just fake breeders ?
well, they'd have be called fake ethical breeders, as you couldn't be a fake breeder if you had bred a dog
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 12:19 PM
No they'd be unethical breeders who lie imho.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
not to show that dog showing is *automatically* a qualification for being ethical in any area?
health testing is a sign of ethical breeding.
what other things did you personally have in mind for ethical breeding? - not meant as a critique, i'm curious what you feel?
To me, an ethical breeder is one who breeds for the betterment of their chosen breed. They will health test. They will have some way of independantly judging that their dogs are of suitable quality to be bred from (be that showing/working/obedience/agility/whatever). But most of all they will thoroughly vet the homes their puppies go to. They will be on the end of a phone in case of emergency or trivial query. They will take a lifelong interest in their puppies and always be on hand as the first point of call should problems arise. They will have in depth knowledge of their breed and will be able to advise their owners accordingly.

That's my interpretation of it anyway

Debs
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2007, 12:26 PM
thanx for that surannon - as the one asking the question "what is an "unethical breeder", i thought it might be interesting to find out first what paddywack felt constitutes an "ethical breeder?"
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 12:27 PM
So an unethical breeder is someone who carries out all the relevent health tests, breeds only to further thier line, but refuses to take back pups theyve sold?

If not what would you call the above breeder?
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 12:30 PM

I think 'unethical' is much to do with your individual ethics. For instance, a mating I know of that I didn't consider ethical - both parents health tested and screened clear, show winners and good temperament, but the mating gave a 25% risk of producing PRA. Breeder and stud dog owner were aware of this risk and gave the reason - preserving breed type, or words to that effect.

It doesn't take over breeding, or no health testing to qualify as unethical IMO.
Page 20 of 25 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »