View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Monty was all kindness though, & COULD readv the Horse Body Language, & CM cant tell the difference between a scared dog & a dominant dog let alone read the body language
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Monty was all kindness though, & COULD readv the Horse Body Language, & CM cant tell the difference between a scared dog & a dominant dog let alone read the body language
All CM see's is dominance, he doesn't see anything else! He has based his whole philosophy on the fact that every dog wants to rule!
Becky
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Very well said ! It is indeed like poetry in motion.

But I think you and I are blind, don't you know! We misinterpret all this natural dog behaviour

The way Tai "pins" an aggressive dog is amazing to watch, and when I first saw it I honestly thought poor Woody was going to have his throat removed! The noise was unbelievable, you could smell the testosterone in the air, the violence of it was terrifying ... and yet there was no violence, neither dog had any mark on him whatsoever except for a bit of saliva. Woody learned his place, peace reigned supreme until his owner came to collect him.

I just wish I could video these confrontations and slow them right down so you could see each detail, it all happens far too quickly for the human eye to catch the subtle nuances.

Thanks for your support ... it gets very lonely on these CM rants sometimes ! I swore I was never going to get involved in one again, but here I am again
A wise old sibe owner told me years ago that to truely see how my dogs interact I must first turn the volume down in my head. Your right, the noise can so easily distract.

I did once video Darcy jumpin in one fluid movement from the top of her 'snowbox' to end a possible altercation between our two young lads. She pinned the more dominant (no noise this time, Darcy is like a stealth ninja!), released him when he showed respect for her position, then chased the other away and created distance between them. Went quietly back to the top of her 'snowbox' and left both boys in no doubt of who was in charge. Don't know what I'd do without her sometimes

Everything Darcy does is to ensure the pack lives in harmony. Not an easy job for her when the boys were establishing. She just raises an eyebrow now and the lads get into line. What a lass
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Does the owner of this dog know that your dog is allowed to intimidate and bully him - and that you allow your dog to physically attack his dog?
You can`t have much idea of training if you use him as an enforcer. In my house I set the rules, not my dog,
C&D : I really wish you would continue to press that "ignore" button ... because clearly you are SO vastly annoyed by me that you just cannot read my posts properly !!

I said ... repeatedly ... that Tai is attacked by other male dogs. This happened frequently with Hal, less so with Tai. I know why this happened with Hal, but I am at a bit of loss to understand with Tai, who is a gentle soul and very, very friendly. He will never, ever ever START a fight, or attack ANY other dog. However, IF he is attacked, he will defend himself. Sometimes, the other dog just keeps coming and coming at him, Tai is doing everything to try to calm the situation down, even running off, but no, sometimes the aggressor just keeps on attacking him. It is in these situations that Tai will rear up on his back legs and a boxing match starts which ends with Tai forcing the other dog onto its back, or the other dog submits, I am not sure which exactly, but either way Tai's mouth is clamped over the other dog's throat. Within seconds, the fight is over, the other dog is allowed to get up, a greeting ritual takes place and that's that, the dogs part.

My dog is NOT an enforcer, but if he is attacked he will defend himself. If you personally think I should allow him to be attacked, possibly to be injured, then you are not the person I think you to be. I suggest you stop trying to be clever and a wind-up merchant, and go back to ignoring my annoying remarks !!

Incidentally, the dog I was talking about is Woody, son of my old boy Hal. Woody was our dog for the first two years of his life, when unfortunately my daughter became very very sick, nearly died, and ended up living in various hospitals for a year. OH could not cope with running two businesses, the household, AND having to look after two large dogs whilst I was living in hospital with daughter, so Woody was rehomed to a farmer friend of our's. He is part of the family, and when he comes to stay with us, he has to abide by our pack rules. Our pack rules are that we are the top dogs, with Tai at the bottom, but Tai is boss of Woody. Woody now knows this
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by SibeVibe View Post
A wise old sibe owner told me years ago that to truely see how my dogs interact I must first turn the volume down in my head. Your right, the noise can so easily distract.

I did once video Darcy jumpin in one fluid movement from the top of her 'snowbox' to end a possible altercation between our two young lads. She pinned the more dominant (no noise this time, Darcy is like a stealth ninja!), released him when he showed respect for her position, then chased the other away and created distance between them. Went quietly back to the top of her 'snowbox' and left both boys in no doubt of who was in charge. Don't know what I'd do without her sometimes

Everything Darcy does is to ensure the pack lives in harmony. Not an easy job for her when the boys were establishing. She just raises an eyebrow now and the lads get into line. What a lass

A true alpha female! That's a lovely story, thanks. What a wise woman as well saying about turning the noise down, I will try that next time because those emitting from Tai's mouth are very scarey! I know him now and so don't panic, but that first time with Woody scared the pants off me! I had visions of huge vet bills, traumatised Woody's, angry owners etc. etc., but it was all just that ... a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. I have learned now to keep back, not to flap, get hysterical, but to leave well alone ... and most important of all, to get the other owner to stay calm too. Invariably, the discord is over in seconds, and the pinning doesn't enter the equation. But particularly with GSD's, Tai has to be extremely dominant to save himself from serious injury. He never, ever ever inflicts injury on the other dog though. His control is amazing. He truly is a wonderful boy, and we are so lucky to have found him.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Re the Kicking Touch/nudge whatever....if i want my dogs attention i say its name!!! Much easier!!!
Yes Mish indeed, but don't forget collies are very, very different from my type of dog ! I always say "Tai" to get his attention before I issue any command. He virtually always ignores the follow up Sit command when we are standing at the kerb. I virtually always have to do the nudge on the shoulder. So what? It doesn't matter, it does not hurt him, it does not hurt me, he is not an Obedience dog, and I would never want him to be perfect, I love his little foibles of independence !
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
so are you telling me that every dog used in obedience was born that way? it's common knowledge that some of the best trained obedience dogs were once the dogs you described on dw. my point was that they reached their highly trained state without the methods applied by cm.

Whoever said he was the only pebble on the beach?

Whoever said that every Obedience dog was born obedient?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Indeed, a lovely man. But horses are completely different from dogs. They are flight animals, and although live in herds, do not have anything like the same pack instincts as dogs. Joining up with a horse is completely different from being able to "speak" to your dog. I don't believe Cesar is fluent in doggy speak, but he is well on the way.

Interesting what you say about him not being able to tell the difference between a scared dog and a dominant dog. Depending on the cause of the fear, maybe a scared dog, out of fear, will start to display dominance as a protective cloak? Cesar says that dominant dogs do not want to be dominant, they do not want to be pack leader, but they are being forced to be just that by their weak owners. I go along with this ... and I have seen it in action with a couple we met with a JRT. The poor little chap was so aggressive, but so scared at the same time. He was overfed, overindulged, overpampered and ruled the roost, but had none of the fire power to be able to do so effectively. His life was constant misery until we put them onto the Dog Whisperer.

The rest, as they say, is history! On that note, I've got to go take Tai for his walkies!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Could you change the record Jackbox? This same old same old is getting very boring. I have told you repeatedly that I have seen most if not all of those that have been shown on the freeview channel on my digital tv. There may be ones available that are on Sky, but I don't have satellite, so I haven't watched those naturally.
Oh deary me... one could say the same back to you with almost every one of your 1500 posts, following the same old , same old

Its also worth a though, you have challenged people for taking a negative view on CM , when they have admitted to not watching his programme........YET!!! here you are adamantly defending him blindly on the one time you saw an episode of him pinning and stringing...one dog!!

Now isn`t that a little hypercritical...

I repeat for the very last time ... I have NEVER seen CM kick a dog, except for the once with Shadow.

I have NEVER seen CM "string up" dogs. I have seen dogs effectively "string themselves up" by fighting back in a temper tantrum because for the very first time in their spoiled lives they have met their match.

I have never seen him "alpha roll" a dog. I have seen him pinning red zoners ... in exactly the same way as my boy Tai does when attacked by other dogs. And as wolves in the wild do.
And yet again, just because you have not seen it , does not mean it does not happen........others HAVE seen it, and are NOT making judgments on what they have not seen....
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Yes I have. And from a pure wolf who I was privileged to have her allow me into her enclosure WITH her pups. She was extremely gentle with them of course, but several got nips from time to time for various pieces of recalcitrance known only to them!
Your last paragraph I am bewildered by to say the least! A bitch mother, any mother for that matter, is SO much more than succour, love and attention!! I sincerely hope if you have children that you don't just lavish love and attention on them, but with absolutely no rules, no discipline !! ?
So this wild wolf was in which country ? The USA ? Canada ? Russia ? There are no wild wolves in the UK(there are wolf packs but they are not wild they are captive) & as far as I no there are no wolf packs that segregate the"Breeding"female into a compound naturally that I know of(didn't even know that wolves used compounds to rear their young in, thought it was in a den)in any continent. Did the other members of her pack allow you enter her"compound" ? How old were her cubs ?

The footage I have seen was shot by David Mech & his students/associates. There were no close ups inside the den, but as in the wild Wolf cubs are weaned by the age of 4 weeks from the"Breeding"bitch freeing her up to go hunting, the footage started at around 2-3 weeks of age when the cubs first left the den. From 4 weeks of age the rearing of the cubs is done mainly by the older siblings of the cubs. The only interaction that could be compared to the pinning etc was done to stop a behaviour, not to get the cubs attention on the older wolf.

I'm very interested to know where you met this wolf as the only ones I have been able to get close up & personal with have been captive wolves, it would be(in the experts opinion)way to dangerous to invade a pack's base, especially when there are cubs.

You obviously do not understand what I wrote so I will try again in a more simple form

Bitches do not have to work to gain their puppies/cubs attention, because when puppies/cubs are young their whole world revolves around their mother & so she does not have to seek their attention, they will actively seek hers. Some adults will still react to their mother many years down the line & give her attention without her having to seek it. This also happens with siblings as my youngest has proved with his litter brother & sister, who he sees on an irregular basis !
Page 20 of 125 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 70 120 > Last »