Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
warlord0
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I'm so sorry to hear this. This episode is classed as a cluster, I'm afraid. I am very concerned that she has had so many - do you have any rectal diazepam to use during a cluster? These come in tubes to be inserted and are to help try to stop the cluster and reduce the severity.

If she's not going into the full spasm, she could be coming out of it on her own?

Forgive me if I'm telling you stuff you already know.

If I can help at all, please shout.
Appreciate any input, always grateful. I thought clusters were more than one per hour?

I don't have any rectube yet. My vet has ordered some today.

I don't know how she's coming out of it. It's the first time its happened that she's come out of one so early. I'm grateful for the small mercy. The full spasm really taxes her.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Clusters are approximately more than one in 24 hours with the dog regaining consciousness between events - here is a good website and helpful definition:

http://www.canineepilepsy.co.uk/Research/status_epi.htm

Another excellent resource is the Guardian Angels website:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...m/site_map.htm

The concern is that a dog can go into stats epilepticus, which is essentially where it doesn't regain consciousness between fits - this is life threatening and requires emergency treatment. Also, it is thought that the more fits they have, the more they will have so it is important to get them under control as much as possible.

It is good that you are getting the diazepam.

You probably realise that with Pb, there is a risk of liver damage and also, the dog can become tolerant to it over time. Milk thistle can help with protecting the liver.

KBr is often used alone if the dog cannot take Pb, and as an adjunct to Pb in refractory epilepsy - also in dogs with liver problems.

You know how to look after your dog during a fit. She might be temporarily blind afterwards and wonder about disorientated, bumping into things. This is the post-ictal phase but is temporary. It is a good idea to offer food (because it takes it out of them and they are usually very hungry) and water to avoid dehydration. I usually give something like a rice cake with cream cheese/honey to bring up blood sugar levels and a small amount of organic ice-cream (which I read about on the Guardian Angels website) but Rose on here often gives chicken breast in water so that her dog gets water too - and it works. Sometimes I give mashed spud, that kind of thing.

Have you looked at diet at all? Preservatives in some dog foods have been linked to fits.

I'm really sorry to hear that Roxy has just recently started to have fits. It is such a horrible condition, especially when the fits come in clusters and very scary.

During an emergency, if the dog continues to fit, they are usually taken to the surgery and sedated. The vet may use iv Pb and/or valium to try to break the cluster.

It is normal during, and after, fits for the dog to be disorientated and pace around, hungry and salivating. Loki's post-ictal phase is particularly awful and just as bad (for us!) as the fits themselves.

I hope that she stops really soon.

xxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Sorry Just to add - as we know that Loki's fits always cluster, we now give two tubes of valium after the first fit (providing we're here when it happens), the third, the fifth then start thinking about getting vet help after that, depending on how he goes and based upon our experience.

He was last sedated in November 2007 and we'd managed 7 months fit-free, which was a bit of a record. However, he is now going roughly about a month but with less fits. We have asked about adding Keppra (levetiracetam) to his meds, which is a newer drug that hasn't been used in many dogs, however it appears to have a 'good' side effect profile.

Sorry again - in case you're not sure ...

The best time to give valium is after the intial spasm and after the 'paddling' - there then follows a period of calm and it is then that we give the valium.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 09:18 PM
So sorry to hear about Roxy. Our Cassie was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy last July. She had her first fit in the morning and a second in the middle of the night. The vet prescribed us the phenobarb from then on and started with 2 a day. She didn't have another fit til the end of October when again she had one in the middle of the night so the vet added a third phenobarb. We were then fit free until last Monday morning when she had a fit and the vet decided to add the Bromide to the meds. Tuesday in the middle of the night she had another fit at which point the vet prescribed 2 diazapam a day for 4 days to stabilise her. We're now back down to the 3 phenobarb and the 1 bromide and are hopeful that this will be the right combination.
You must be worn out from the last 24 hours but Lucky Star has given you some fantastic advice and Snorri's article should help too. Our vet keeps reminding us that the fits are much worse for us than for Cassie as she has no idea what's happening and is in no pain. It's us watching that suffer for our poor furry friends. I hope your vet gets Roxy's meds sorted soon. Good luck
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 09:48 PM
So sorry to hear about your Roxy. Our thoughts are with you and her.

I hope things improve soon
warlord0
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Sorry Just to add - as we know that Loki's fits always cluster, we now give two tubes of valium after the first fit (providing we're here when it happens), the third, the fifth then start thinking about getting vet help after that, depending on how he goes and based upon our experience.

He was last sedated in November 2007 and we'd managed 7 months fit-free, which was a bit of a record. However, he is now going roughly about a month but with less fits. We have asked about adding Keppra (levetiracetam) to his meds, which is a newer drug that hasn't been used in many dogs, however it appears to have a 'good' side effect profile.

Sorry again - in case you're not sure ...

The best time to give valium is after the intial spasm and after the 'paddling' - there then follows a period of calm and it is then that we give the valium.
Thanks again, and it's worth noting that I prefer to be told told something too many times, than not at all.

Much of what you describe fits the bill exactly. The ravenous appetite, paddling and pacing - 100% spot on.

I'm moving into the arena of investigating foods. Only trouble is she's had a bad history of not eating at all. She used to be extremely fussy - not even taking bacon or sausage. I spent months cooking boiled chicken and rice, which was all she would eat.

We now feel lucky that she eats anything. I think the Pb has given her an appetite! But you're right, I am aware and concerned about liver damage - it was a question I asked the vet on first prescription. But the balance of fits over liver damage means the control of fits must come first.

These "small" fits means we don't get the paddling, pacing and appetite. Just the initial chomping.

Edit: I meant to ask what the effect of the Diazepam was. Do they lose conciousness and just sleep through it? Basically still fit without the physical aspect?
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-01-2009, 10:30 PM
For the last 3 years of his life, Snorri-dog lived on raw beef mince - "supermarket's own brand" stuff. As it was originally intended for people, there was a bit less likelihood of added crap in it. Later (after he'd had a bout of pancreatits - as if he hadn't had enough problems), we added Royal Canin Digestive Low Fat kibble.

Giving him mince wasn't much more costly than giving him canned food, and there were never any leftovers. If your dog is epileptic, he/she is always going to cost a little more. At least you know what's in his dish!

Snorri
warlord0
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
For the last 3 years of his life, Snorri-dog lived on raw beef mince - "supermarket's own brand" stuff. As it was originally intended for people, there was a bit less likelihood of added crap in it. Later (after he'd had a bout of pancreatits - as if he hadn't had enough problems), we added Royal Canin Digestive Low Fat kibble.

Giving him mince wasn't much more costly than giving him canned food, and there were never any leftovers. If your dog is epileptic, he/she is always going to cost a little more. At least you know what's in his dish!

Snorri
That sounds like worth a try.

You don't have to tell me about cost! All this as uninsured is proving very costly. A change of vet was even needed so I could get realistic prescriptions. The change alone reduced the bill by £285 per year - just for drugs.

I can't say "saved me £285" as I'm likely to be spending way more than that on other Roxy related treatment, foods etc.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-01-2009, 11:25 PM
BTW - if you're going to try raw mince, may I recommend adding one tablet of "SA37" to it? SA37 is a vitamin supplement. Simple raw meat does not contain all the vits a dog needs, hence the addition. SA37 also comes as a powder, but I find the tabs more convenient.

My Kali eats the same diet, and he is still flourishing at almost 15. He was Snorri-dog's half-brother (and uncle )

Snorri
warlord0
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
For the last 3 years of his life, Snorri-dog lived on raw beef mince - "supermarket's own brand" stuff. As it was originally intended for people, there was a bit less likelihood of added crap in it.

8<
Just an update really. We've got Roxy on the (frozen/thawed) raw mince for one meal a day so far and she loves it. Mixed with some warm brown rice, which warms the meat a little, and she devours it.

Totally, unexpected! She's usually so fussy she wont take anything different... unless it's chicken she's not interested.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >