View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 04:11 PM
He's not really interested in the nylabone. He likes it for teething purposes, i.e. to bite down on, but otherwise he's not bothered with anything unless he can annihilate it and eat it! I wonder if he's part boxer or lab ;o)
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't feed rawhide ever..

I was told that samoyeds couldn't digest it so not to feed it and I never have..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
He's not really interested in the nylabone. He likes it for teething purposes, i.e. to bite down on, but otherwise he's not bothered with anything unless he can annihilate it and eat it! I wonder if he's part boxer or lab ;o)
I don't like Rawhide either.
Pidge for teething try a whole raw carrot, you can freeze them too to sooth sore little teething gums, also try dried fish (from the pet shop or online) it's also good for teething.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Ours are different....they do have them.
I've never experienced a problem with any of my dogs, I've had several good comments from the vets on how great thier teeth are, Reah's now a oldie, and touch wood, has never needed a dental, and my old Collie (sadly now at rainbow bridge) went 23 years with no dental required.
Fortunately mine do chew them properly although they do get sticky which is the down side.
However if I am going out I don't leave them around, as I have always supervised as they could choke, but then it's possible to choke on other things as well as rawhide chews.
Mine have never bothered with the nylon ones either.

You could try a stuffed kong (you may already have one) if your worried.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2009, 08:07 AM
How about paddy wack. I would imagine they could still get too big a chunk off this too though. I would perhaps just supervise carefully. You can buy none knotted ones which are straight.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 08:22 AM
I dont like them either, Diesel is ok with them but Amy has trouble, she doesnt chew, so when its small enough to get it all in she will just try to swallow it, scared the life out of me a couple of times so i wont give them to her anymore.
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Rawhide bones are something that i don't give the dogs anymore.This is an old post that tells of my experience with rawhide bones.

" Both my dogs chew on recreational bones and also have a regular supply of bone in their diet whether it be chicken wings, necks, carcass etc. The only ever problem i have had is with rawhide chews. When our American Bulldog was younger he was given one of those knotted raw hide bones and he was happily chewing away until it went into a soggy mess then he tried to swallow it, only for it to get stuck in his throat. Now if this had happened with a chicken carcass etc he would easily bring it back up [and has done] but due to the rawhide turning into a soggy mess it got stuck to his throat lining and he could not regurgitate it. Luckily i was on hand to put my hand down his throat and grap hold of it. This was a big lesson for me and needless to say he will never have rawhide treats again as this could have turned out fatal....Cheers..Ian..
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Never had a problem with the rawhide... though I always supervise and do not feed the knotted ones or the dinky ones, mine have large roll type ones... bigger than their blubbery chops
However if you don't like them, kongs are good, as are frozen carrots....
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 11:30 AM
I give pigs ears my 2 love them. If I do give a chew I never give the knotted ended ones and stay with them till they have finished, Zak is not too keen anyway but will pinch the softened bits while Zeita chews them for ages but never swallows big chunks she just keeps chewing until nothing left or Zak has sneeked it off her
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Pidge

I know you are a veggie so would find a trip to the butcher deeply unpleasant, but a raw beef knuckle would keep Woody occupied for hours.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »