View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Completely agree that boys make you fat! I've always been on the "cuddly" side, but gained a LOT of weight after I got married. When we separated, I lost two stone on a diet of Ben & Jerry's, cups of tea, the odd slice of toast and a pack of cigarettes a day I was doing so well keeping it off when I started eating properly again and then met my OH... in January 2007, having lived together for six months, I suddenly realised I was 15 stone - my all time heaviest! I had spent the winter eating all sorts and everything, and I had taken a break from horse riding to give my horse a "holiday" at grass to try to save some money.

I've been on and failed diets my whole life. I struggle to stick with them, then if I "cheat" and go for a meal out or have an icecream, I start "punishing" myself by binge eating. I have an incredibly unhealthy attitude towards food, but no professional that I've spoken to about CBT seems bothered. Something clicked for me last year, and I just watched what I ate. I realised that what I considered a "portion" was actually two or even THREE times the recommended amount so I started to weigh out food. Nothing was forbidden and if I fancied that scone with clotted cream and jam, that was okay, so long as the calories and fat were listed and I compensated with a salad for dinner. I stuck with it long enough to lose a stone, and I was riding again and swimming at least once a week. Getting rid of that stone is probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do!

As winter began, I started having more trouble with my joints, particularly my hands, and my horse became lame so I started on that slippery slope again. I was convinced I had put the whole stone back on, but at a weigh-in at my doctors surgery, I realised I must have gained some good habits as I hadn't gained anything - I'd actually LOST a pound compared with the last time I'd weighed myself a few months beforehand. I'd just gone wobbly again since I stopped my exercise regime.

Over Christmas, I have most DEFINITELY gained weight, as my work trousers were tight when I came back to the office on Monday. So this week, I've started again. I've realised that if I can lose a stone and keep it off, then I can keep going. I've got four stone to lose, but I'm hoping to lose just one before my best friend's birthday in April We used to be a similar size, then she lost some weight and I gained it, and now whenever I see her I feel jealous that she can fit in her jeans! The next time we'll see her is her birthday, so I want to be able to feel good about myself.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2009, 11:39 AM
I put on a lot of weight when I had my son...then lost it a year later for my friend's wedding...
It has taken 8 years but I have put most of the weight back on. Not sure why, probably eating too much and not walking as much since I'm not training the pups.

I could do with losing a stone and a half but would be happy with a stone as then I would be back in my comfort zone...wondering if I can do it in 2 months....maybe three.....

Last time I did it by cutting back on what I ate and watching my fat intake really carefully. It meant I could still have a bag of crisps (low fat weightwatchers) or a little pudding (as for crisps)...

I find it hard being a veggie as lots of veggie recipes can be tasteless without a bit of fat or chesse in.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Sez & Amber View Post
I realised that what I considered a "portion" was actually two or even THREE times the recommended amount
Same here!

It used to be normal for me and OH to eat 2 chicken breasts each, plus 4 or 5 large serving spoons of mashed potato each, and 3 or 4 large serving spoons of veg each, for one meal

Or eat a lasagne designed to feed 6 adults between 2 of us, with a whole baguette of garlic breach EACH!!!

Oh god, the shame....

Me practising showing Murphy this summer (14st something)

Me showing Murphy (14 st something)

About 2 years ago
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2009, 12:35 PM
i used to be very depressed cos i couldnt get to 7 stone! but since being married and having tabs to get pregnat first time(15 years ago) and the having another 3 kids each year ive put on a few stone! not too much but would like to lose just under 2 stone and have started eating healthily but doing more exercises to tone up, so maybe me not losing at the mo is the muscles weighing heavier. thats my excuse nayway
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2009, 12:43 PM
I lost about 2 stone before christmas by cutting out an evening meal (I have a main meal at lucnh and maybe soup or fruit for tea)
My main reason was my job....I work often between 3pm and 9pm - then get home eat and sleep...not good.

My diet coke habit is bad.....but one thing at a time...

I have just pigged out on a packet or fingers.....bit down over my BC dog (Tassle). Feel a bit sick now, but won;t have dinner.

I am surpruised I haven't put anything on over christmas, but I have been a bit poorly so it could be that. I have also started playing volleyball....2 nights a week at the moment..and they work us hard.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2009, 01:26 PM
So the focus is: more exercise, less crap and potion control - easy? Yeah right!

Iso, everything you say you now do is what I have always done. I cook everything form scratch, eat healthy ingredients, plan my meals two weeks in advance and I only ever drink water (or wine ;o). Yet I'm still huawge and not losing ;o(
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2009, 01:42 PM
I highly recommend trying my-calorie-counter.com I found it the easiest way to keep track of what I eat.
If you put in your height, current weight, build and level of activity, it tells you approximately how many calories your body needs per day to maintain your current weight. If you then reduce that by 500 calories per day, you should lose 1lb per week. It may not be a huge loss, but over time, it works, and is so much better for you than dropping a lot of weight all at once.

There's already a database with a vast variety of food on it, and the information on each item (such as calories per portion, fat, salt, etc) but you can easily enter your own products as well. If you're like me and often realise you need to enter something you don't have the packaging for anymore, I've found most companys' websites have a product list with the nutritional information of each product on. Failing that, Google it and there's several websites out there with similar databases that you can pinch the info from
whippetwatch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
potion control
I wish -a magic one for instant weight loss?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Oh, ooops, I meant to say PORTION! hehehe.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2009, 05:32 PM
I'll join too

When I first got ill in 2000 I stopped eating and got really thin - you could see my hip bones when I stood up. Then I had to go on steroids to shrink my brain tumour and I piled a lot on.

Then I was really ill for another 4 years and was really skinny again.

Then I met my OH in 2006 and got FAT!!!!! It was because I was happy - I was just eating too much. I went on Slimming World and lost about a stone, but then I got ill again and ended up in hospital so it all went out the window.

I weigh 11 stone 9 now and am 5 foot 4 so I'm quite overweight. My downfall is cakes, biscuits and chocolate. I mostly cook meals from scratch using organic so generally I eat healthily.

But then the biscuit magnets get me at about 3pm.

One of my new year's resolutions is that I'm NOT going to buy any cakes/biscuits etc. I might still do some baking though

I'm starting back at bellydancing next week and am helping out my teacher. So I'm doing 2 classes one after the other - 3 hours altogether. Plus I'm trying to walk further with the dogs (a bit difficult cos I have IBS so don't like to be too far from home ). And I'm going to get out more on my bike.

I want to lose a stone initially then see where I go from there
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »