Our sister sites
Our sister sites
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi All

An update on Casper.

He came home on Sunday as he hadnt fitted since Saturday morning - 6.30am. Luckily he hasnt fitted since, so i am keeping everything crossed.

However to top it all off as well as the vet thinking he has a brain tumor he was diagnosed with diabetes yesterday & had his first shot of insulin. I will have to obviously have to give them to him but i am scared of doing it wrong or hurting him.

I am still concerned as he will topple over & is still shaking as though he is going to fit, mentioned this to the vet today but he wasnt sure. Good news though his blood sugar level has come down, yesterday it was 16 today it was 10 so that was good news.

So at the moment it is trial & error we are just taking it one day at a time.

Many thanks

Amanda
michele44
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2009, 07:26 PM
he is doing well at the moment... and he has you with him to comfort him... our prayers are with you both xxxx
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi

Thanks for your kind thoughts

Thinking of you

Amanda
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Glad to hear you've got him home. I'm sure he'll be a lot happier. Fingers crossed you've got to the end of the fits.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Oh so sorry, I've only just found your post. I have PMd you anyway but in case you miss it I will post here too.

I'm really sorry to hear he has now also been diagnosed with diabetes. I can imagine how you feel.

With the fits, something else to consider might be anything toxic he might have eaten that could have resulted in fits, or a knock on the head. Or a thyroid problem - perhaps get your vet to test for this?

When a dog has an epileptic fit, there follows the post-ictal period. In Loki's case, this can last up to a week with a gradual lessening of symptoms. Symptoms include temporary blindness, compulsive pacing and general weakness of the body and disorientation, which can result in banging into things - I wonder if this might be the toppling that you are seeing? The shaking could possibly be post-fit behaviour or even minor petite mal fits but it is hard to say. Loki does this sometimes after a fit. In fact, now you mention it, he has been doing it a bit today, although it is a few weeks since his last fits.

Have you come across the Guardian Angels website? It is an excellent resource for canine epilepsy:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...m/site_map.htm

Hope he is okay.
Linda
xxx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2009, 08:59 PM
As you say, it's one day at a time, but glad to hear that he's home
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Hi Lucky Star

The vet asked me about anything toxic, to my knowledge he hasnt got hold of anything. Would they have tested for thyroid when he had his bloods done they didnt mention it.

My mind is doing overtime i keep trying to think, but the vet still seems to think it is a brain tumor, just wish i could see into his head myself. Its the not knowing at least with his diabetes i can do something for him & have something to deal with but not knowing if he definately has a tumor is hard.

The only thing that has occured recently was that the Sunday before he started fitting we were out in the woods & he was eating some grass which he always does with no problem. But this time he started to cough & was trying to clear his throat as though something was stuck.

He carried on doing this so i called the vet out as i was concerned that he had something stuck. The vet said that his throat was very red & gave him a injection of anti inflammatories/antibiotic which was a long lasting one.

The vet does not think this was any problem & has no connection to the problems since Friday. Im not sure but you have to trust them dont you?

Many thanks

Amanda
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Hi

Just wondering if any one has any knowledge/experience with diabetes. Casper my Collie X who is 13yrs old has just been diagnosed. At the moment he is having 1x injection of insulin a day, given in the morning.

I am absolutley petrified as i will have to give them to him & am concerned that i will either hurt him or do it wrong.

He was diagnosed on Tuesday, due to blood tests showing very high sugar levels. The blood was taken as he started having cluster fits on Friday & has never had them in his life before. The vet thinks he has a brain tumor, then we also found out that he is diabetic, but i have been told that he wouldnt have fitted with high sugar levels only low levels.

Many thanks

Amanda
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I have read your posts, glad Casper is back home, just wanted to send healing vibes from us here xxxxxxxxxx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2009, 09:33 PM
my lad royce had it, hes now gone to the bridge,

try not to worrie to much about it, it may take some time to get the insulin level right,

im sure you will be a pro at it within a few weeks x
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >