Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
When you say you only let Dale go with dogs you knew, do you mean that he was still on the line when he was playing? And if so did you have any problems?
Yes he was on line but he played with friends' dogs on walks so I knew they all got on well. In fact the line never tangled but I always worried that it might. I did hear of someone whose dog got tangled with another dog and trouble started because they couldn't get away from each other so I was always a bit uneasy.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:39 PM
good advice guys-but just make sure once you start using a long line you dont rely on it too much and stop training. the more positive reinforcement your dog gets from coming back to you, even if you have to physically encourage the dog with the line make sure they get a good reward whether it be food/toy or fuss as it will all encourage a good recall!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:40 PM
I agree that it is worrying to think of them getting tangled. Still perhaps worth a try on a not very long line. I am thinking of using it with dogs that she knows and has played with before.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I have been thinking about your problem overnight. Do you have a friend or two that have dogs that are friendly with yours? You could try doing recall training (with very high value treats or a toy) when your dog is playing with friends dogs? Keep your dog on a long line and if she doesn't come when called, you can reinforce the command and make sure she comes. Then praise like mad when she comes to you.

Also if you have friends with dogs who do have a good recall, then get them to call their dogs when you call yours and 9 times out of 10 they will all come.

Is the shep your only dog? What is her name btw?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Another thought is that she is 10 months old, so is definitely at the stage where she will be pushing her boundaries
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:44 PM
She has always had lots of reinforcement for coming back but I have not yet discovered anything that is as reinforcing to her as playing with other dogs ... but we are still working on it!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Her name is Tala and she is one year old tomorrow.
I do restrict her to playing with dogs that I know have a good recall and she does come back with them but not close enough for me to get hold of her so I always have to ask one of the other owners to take hold of her collar. It seems to have become a game and I thought it would be good to interrupt it and teach her that she cannot stay away from me. She totally ignores treats and toys at this time - they loose any value they had. The only thing she has ever come to me for is water, when it was very very hot. Seems a lifetime ago!
She is my only dog at present. I used to have two, a goldie and a shepherd and I lost them both within three weeks of each other two christmasses ago. But they were both fifteen so had a good long life.
Not sure whether getting another dog would help or not. She would have someone to play with but worried that we would not be able to build as much of a bond. When she is out of the house everything is so fascinating to her that it has taken much time and persistence to get her to concentrate on and play with me.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Sounds like the problem I had with Dale. How is recall around the house and garden? I eventually got Dale coming by really making sure he did as he was told around the house, making sure he didn't pull on lead, go out of doors first etc. so he learned his place. Then I used the line to make sure he couldn't ignore me. I also called him by crouching down very low and using a high excited voice and if he didn't come standing very tall and growling then bending down and calling again. I know if sounds a bit daft but it worked for me.
Oh I also stopped using treats. No idea why but it worked.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 10:54 PM
She seems to me quite respectful in the house, more so actually than the dogs I had before who used to try to rush through the door first. And she is obedient in the house. I do crouch down when I call her and if there are no dogs around she comes rushing to me. I will try growling and standing tall. Don't care how daft I look if it solves the problem!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Not sure whether getting another dog would help or not. She would have someone to play with but worried that we would not be able to build as much of a bond. When she is out of the house everything is so fascinating to her that it has taken much time and persistence to get her to concentrate on and play with me.
I wasn't really suggesting you get a second dog to help with Tala's recall. I was just interested I have four dogs and have found that Yogi (six months) comes back well, most probably due to the fact that my other three have good recall and he follows their example.

It sounds as though you have tried all sorts of things. How often do you play with her away from other dogs? From a young age, I have got Yogi really keen on his ball on a rope. He only gets to play with it when I play with him and then it is put away. He ADORES this toy and it means more to him than treats, other toys and even comes a little before playing with other dogs. You could try playing with Tala every day with a special toy at home and only let her have it when you are playing with her. Try playing raggy with it and letting her have it occasionally, but make sure she gives it up to you when you ask. Once she is really into the toy, take it out with you and see whether it has enough value to get her away from her doggie friends.

Another thought - do you only call her to you, to put her back on the lead and take her home? If so, you need to try calling her sporadically while out, holding her collar for a few seconds and a bit of praise or a treat and then letting her go again. Many dogs I have met with a poor recall is simply because they think their owner calling means they are going home and fun is over.

Any more piccies?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >