Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Does the cooking of beef, pork etc affect how it is digested by dogs?

Presumably roast beef is harder to digest and not as good for dogs as raw beef?
Cooked fat from any animal can not be digested by the dog at all and cooked pork fat in particular has been linked to pancreatis so that one should be avoided.

As for cooked meat - all kibble has cooked meat in it - usually cooked and ground into a fine powder first in the form of meat meal, then extruded (pressure cooked) with the other ingredients at ridiculously high temperatures again to sterilise it.

As a raw feeder I believe that cooking breaks down the meat tissues and so the work of the stomach, intestines and digestive juices has already been done for it before it is even fed to the dog, so these organs are left improperly exercised with long-term health implications. Alas, I'm in the minority and dogs have to make do with what pet food manufacturers deem suitable!
Gillbo64
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Wow, now I know why my Nico only made it to 15, I should've stopped him helping himself from my veggie patch!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2008, 03:21 PM
I didn't think beef and pork were toxic, mine all have beef mince occasionally and usually get the meat trimmings, fatty bits and gristle raw that I trim from our chops... Am I killing them???

They don't get broccoli, but mainly because it makes them windy
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Beef and pork are toxic to dogs? How ridiculous I'm sure you can get 'beef' treats, and tinned food. Plus I buy dried cows ears and pizzles and beef tripe from a pet food website. Also I feed whole beef heart, brisket, ox liver, pork chops, pork shank, pig heart, pig liver, trotters.....

I once gave Bryan a tummy upset by feeding him too much broccoli stalk (back in the days when I was feeding kibble) but I don't think it's toxic.

It's like saying onion is toxic to dogs -if they eat a whole big pile of them it may cause aneamia (sp?) but a tiny tiny bit won't do any harm. Same goes for apple pips - yes they contain cyanide, but how many apple cores would they have to eat before te cynaide would be in large enough quantity to poison them?
lurcherx2
New Member!
Male 

26-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Dogs, just like their wolf ancestors are carnivorous and do not need to eat vegetables. Raw beef and pork in large chewy lumps preferably on a bone are perfect food. Whereas non meat protein and carbs in kibble and other prepared foods are toxic to dogs.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Mine have broccoli and cabbage stalks like others have bones. Dog have in this country and still do in others survived on table scraps so to tell people things are toxic without explaining yourself is misleading and stupid.
Gillbo64
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by lurcherx2 View Post
Dogs, just like their wolf ancestors are carnivorous and do not need to eat vegetables. Raw beef and pork in large chewy lumps preferably on a bone are perfect food. Whereas non meat protein and carbs in kibble and other prepared foods are toxic to dogs.

try telling mine that lol, I grow my own veg & the two rows of peas nearest the path are always covered in half pods, Lizzie nicks bits off the cabbages, Charlie loves carrots & potatoes (he helps himself from the shed!)
lurcherx2
New Member!
Male 

26-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Gillbo64 View Post
try telling mine that lol,
Lol - need does not equate to want seriously though, the potatoes would worry me, but fibrous non-carby veg should just pass through without too much bother. Either way, all veg - apart from some carefully stripped blades of grass, is surplus to requirements.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2008, 08:46 PM
On a previous episode of dog borstral mic martin had a go at some people for feeding their dog pasta. Then it showed them feeding 'proper' dog food, which happened to be Bakers. I know what i would rather feed my dogs and it aint the bakers.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2008, 09:00 PM
I saw that one Loki's mum and I said exactly the same thing!!!!!!!!!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >