Female 

24-04-2005, 06:37 PM
very much so Jen

I wont even put my name and address in the show catalogues just incase
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Not worried at all.Abe would never accept a stranger in the house or garden without me with them,so they would instantly become doggie fodder.His size helps though as no one could pick him up and run off!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 06:54 PM
There have been instances where dogs have been taken from outside shops one was reported as being held for randsom, the theives said they had removed some toes off the dog I have also heard of people just walking their dogs and had them taken off them this is a ridiculous situation but something we should all be aware of.

MO
derbyrottie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2005, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=Jenny]
ive heard a few times of dogs being stolen right from the owners hands out on a walk!
QUOTE]

there were a few reports of this happening at some woods and a park not too far away from where i live but that was proved to be down to a certain group of people who wanted to get some quick money as all the dogs they stole were pedigrees. However, i'm still abit weary of walking bronson on my own, especially for his evening walk, as we have to go through a small park where the kids meet up to get to the fields, when hes older i dont think id be so bothered though but its still a concern while hes a puppy.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Always, especially as ours get so much attention and loves people so much. I get paranoid about being followed into the fields.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 07:46 PM
I always worry about my lot being stolen. Fortunatly, if anyone comes onto the land, they'll go away with more than they bargained for
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 09:44 PM
I worry about this a lot

Especially as Archie, like Blackie is so friendly with strangers.... Sometimes I think I've done too much socialization!

I think all we can do is keep our eyes open, unfortunately it does happen a lot
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 10:59 PM
I worry about my boys being stolen for the simple reason being pedigree blue merle pups and they look different especially with there pink noses and blue eyes people seem to take a great interest asking questions like are they chipped where do you keep them are they good with strangers it makes you wonder are they just taking an interest in your dogs or is it for some other reason
Bobby-Digital
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Hi people
as some may know i am brand spanking new here. I have to say i am worried about my dog being stolen. I think what breed you have is a major factor in the dogs being stolen. Dogs like rottweilers & german shepards are more guard dogs and are more stand offish to strangers. However dogs like staffies which is the breed i own are naturally friendly to strangers and thus many are stolen each year. I think its a kind of paradox that one of the most people friendly dogs are stolen for the evil art of dog fighting. Many staffords in my area in Coventry have been stolen, in fact last year 3 staffords were stolen from differnt houses in the same street within a 2 week period. This street is a couple away from mine. These dogs are just a target for illegal dog fighting.
I don't worry too much about him being taken off me on a walk as i am quite a big guy and always have him on a lead, i also make sure that he is not on his own in the back garden. I never leave him outside a shop and never leave him in the car on his own.
I don't know what i would do if he got stolen !
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-04-2005, 02:18 PM
If I'm ever "Doon Sooth" with my pair, I never let them out of my sight, so that they can't be tormented, let alone stolen! One time only. Kali was tied outside a shop, and a kid started poking him with a stick. My pal dashed out (damn quick for someone with a false leg), smacked the kid on the head with a shopping bag, took the stick and started poking the culprit with it "Leave my <bleep> dog ALONE!". Technically, assault, but the little <bleep> was asking for it :smt096

Up here, it's generally safe enough, especially if you have Border Collies. As I've said before, if you walk through town without a BC, someone may well try to give you one! Like Ian, though, I try to tether Snorri in the foyer, where he's visible to everyone. Provided it's not too warm, Kali stays in the car. For some reason, they fight when left together in the car, although they are fine everywhere else

It's one of the things I like about Orkney, there seems to be a respect for animals that has disappeared in other places. We do get rare cases of cruelty now and again, but these are usually cases of neglect rather than deliberate action (not that there's much difference, from the animals' point of view). I've never heard of a dog being stolen here.

As for walks, I can't go any distance with the Boys now if they're on the beach (best substitute), a thief would have to catch them first, and I doubt that even Linford Christie could do that ) - when they're on the beach, they go deaf..........

Snorri
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >