Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Some people seem to think that dummies/bottles can confuse the babies who are being breast fed.....but i have been working with children for 20 years and have never met a confused baby! They seem to pick up very quickly the differences between the two and the type of sucking that is needed for each one.
That sounds good to me.

Karen & Hannah became 'breast feeding examples' a few years ago. Whatever the views (and here's not to discuss )Hannah fed till about 18 months and was the subject of many a workshop. In all her time though she never took a dummy.

Last night Fiona was crying and I popped one in. She took it straight away and stopped crying. I just thought

If she's NEEDING a feed then she's very quick to tell me to ****** off with the dummy.

My problem tonight (right now) is that she's got a dummy in and she falls alseep sucking it. Eventually in pops out and Waah waah waah. I rush up and get it back in - can't just shove it in, I need to touch her lips with it and let her find it then put my hand against her cheek as if it's boobie. It works providing she's not wanting milk.

The beauty of no dummy is that they simply don't need it.

We'll see how we go.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
My problem tonight (right now) is that she's got a dummy in and she falls alseep sucking it. Eventually in pops out and Waah waah waah. I rush up and get it back in - can't just shove it in, I need to touch her lips with it and let her find it then put my hand against her cheek as if it's boobie. It works providing she's not wanting milk.
Those are beautiful pictures Phil, and OMG, shows even more how alike they are!

As for the dummy, Charlie was given one by special care to increase his ability to breast feed (Yes I know, nearly 10lbs and in special care lol) as he couldn't be with me and they wanted him to keep sucking!

As for the dummy popping out, we perfected the art of Mr. Green Teddy . A teddy he was given (not one of our favourites) who could be placed about an inch from Charlie's mouth as he had his head on his side.
Charlie would get sleepy, dummy would slowly slip from his mouth except it then hit Mr. Green Teddy who stopped it falling out! Sorted!

And people asked me how I got Charlie to sleep from 11pm to 6am from the word go, no sleepless nights for me! Ha ha!

Only downfall is he got quite attached to that grotty ted and we still have it today!
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 12:04 AM
I notice you are using the Mam soother, I can't tell the size from your pic. but I used the tiny Mam soother (0-2 months) for the first few months that might stay in a bit better as its lighter than the bigger ones .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAM-TINY-SOOTH...d=p3286.c0.m14

The textured strip on the teat helps to keep the soother in babies mouth as it is not as slippery as normal silicone.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
I notice you are using the Mam soother, I can't tell the size from your pic. but I used the tiny Mam soother (0-2 months) for the first few months that might stay in a bit better as its lighter than the bigger ones .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAM-TINY-SOOTH...d=p3286.c0.m14
Ooh I've no idea.

As I said - Hannah didn't do dummies. Fiona has a selection which we're just trying out. I'll let you know what it is and thanks for the tip.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 05:41 AM
Oh Phil....... what lovely photos of your two gorgeous girls.

Talking of gorgeous girls, how's Karen?

Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Lovely photo's

Mia had a dummy AND she breast fed no problem, they do say dummies help prevent cot death too, dont know how true it is though.

We only allowed Mia to have her dummy when she slept, as soon as she was awake it was taken away, i dont think they do any harm at all
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Just had to say - precious pictures xxxx
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Great pics!! Hannah looks so happy to be a big sister at last
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Beautiful photos of your beautiful girls.
Both my Boys had dummies (they were bottle fed) not sure if that makes any difference.
They both gave them up of their own accord at around 6 months old.
I think if it keeps them happy and gives you some rest no harm done.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Absolutely beautiful photos Phil - your girls are both lovely.

Ben wouldn't take a dummy either.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >