View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Oh and in southampton and winchester we are also very close to the new forest....which, at the moment, is very dog friendly as long as you respect the wildlife.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Southampton, winchester and Gosport! We have loads of country parks, the common, river side walks, beach walks, parks, woods, farly mount, forestry commision land etc etc.

Tonks and i rarely do the same walk twice in one week.
Rye Bay....thanks to our campaign, safe walks for miles with good visibility, nature reserve, beaches (huge), salt marsh and friendly farmers...having spent last few days on The Weald looking for lost dogs (not yet found ) I would not live there....miles and miles of beautiful countryside but too many deer to tempt my two, and poor visibility...most wooded area of SE, much of it ancient.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 10:02 AM
southhampton, Winchester, Rye bay...have made a note. Thanks! Perhaps in future we`ll all be huddled together in enclaves like the ancient Celts against the Roman Invaders
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 10:08 AM
This is so sad.

Have sent the link to my brother who lives down that way and often goes camping with family & dog in the New Forest.

He is going to fill in the form and send it off when he gets a minute.
tova
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Rye Bay....thanks to our campaign, safe walks for miles with good visibility, nature reserve, beaches (huge), salt marsh and friendly farmers...having spent last few days on The Weald looking for lost dogs (not yet found ) I would not live there....miles and miles of beautiful countryside but too many deer to tempt my two, and poor visibility...most wooded area of SE, much of it ancient.
Aah, Rye Bay. Many happy memories of long walks there. And The Weald. There was a herd of deer where we did our regular walk- but we didn't see them often and fortunately I always saw them before the dogs did. The visibility wasn't too bad where we were either. Beautiful.
jumbosdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-09-2008, 12:02 PM
HI All, OK I've been following this issue for a while now and this is my take on it all.
Everything in this post is my opinion and mine alone so please no snide or rude comments please

1 Its a draft policy open for consultation which I believe ends on Oct 31st, the give away is consultation
2 NFDog, well they have never been best of friends with the Forestry Commission and have on various occassions been lacking in compromise at times ( my opinion based on experinces and no I DO NOT work for the FC) Scare mongering is not the same as consulting.
3 Dog Free car parks, Well think about it, honeypot sites in the New Forest are accidents waiting to happen. Ever been to Bolderwood or Balmer Lawn in the height of the summer?
small car parks , hundred or so people there. Is a place that you would be happy walking your dog? Me definately not. Just imagine you and your dog minding your own buiness, annoying child runs up scares, pokes or whatever to your dog, thay turn and snap..... dangerous dog in the eyes of the parents and the law is on their side, is it worth the risk? Also if you have been there when the crowds go home? bottles, empty cartons, chicken bones from the obligatory illeagle BBQ and glass all over the place, do you want your dog running through that?
I know what my answer is and what of the dog poo issues, little Chesney on holiday in his £200 trainers runs through the mess and every dog owner that has ever walked this earth will be to blame
Me i want to walk and explore the forest in peace and quiet so i can sit and hear nothing except the Forest breathing( and yes it does just sit amongst the trees, clear you mind and listen......) and the rustle of the dogs running and enjoying themselves.
If a car park is closed then walk, thats the give away, dog WALKING! go to another part and explore. Do people really do the same route at the same time from the same carpark everyday? Is that a walk for you or your dog or is it a chore? think about it.
Anyway thats my tuppence worth and before i get berated yes I do live in The New Forest and yes I do work in the New Forest and yes I spend most of my free time with my best fourlegged mates exploring the New Forest
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
southhampton, Winchester, Rye bay...have made a note. Thanks! Perhaps in future we`ll all be huddled together in enclaves like the ancient Celts against the Roman Invaders
Up the Celts!!!!
boris
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by jumbosdad View Post
HI All, OK I've been following this issue for a while now and this is my take on it all.
Everything in this post is my opinion and mine alone so please no snide or rude comments please
<snip>
I used to live in Sway myself and walked my dog all over the forest, in the winter months we were frequently the only users of the car parks. Personally I'd rather see the grockles being banned than the dogs.

Ian
jumbosdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-09-2008, 12:28 PM
i coouldnt agree more , but their money does help the local businesses!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by boris View Post
Personally I'd rather see the grockles being banned than the dogs.

Ian
But it`s their money that pays for your amenities. And it`s not only incomers that misbehave surely.
I remember the Countryside Alliance march on London. One comic suggested Londoners should all go out and bellow at them "Git orf my Land!" Banning dogs from car parks won`t solve any of the problems you talk of.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >