View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jo_W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Sorry am I missing something? Did Rachel not say that she was leaving Ela with her mother and father-in-law and their 2 dogs when she takes Cassie out?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Need a bit of advise about what to do about Ela and her Separation anxiety issues, not related to us but Cassie.

We will be working Cassie in the fields again over the next few months and have decided not to take Ela with us. She is to young to run with the dogs (it would damage her hips) and keeping her on the lead while Cassie runs about chasing rabbits (an from her point of view having a ball) will drive her nuts. We are going to leave her with my mother and father in-law and there two dogs.

The problem is she gets really upset when Cassie is taken somewhere with out her. Would you treat this the same as with people and take Cassie out for a few mins at a time until she gets used to it?
this isnt what is known as separation anxiety though

krusewalker, the pedant
Jo_W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Rachel, when you say separation anxiety what do you mean? How is she behaving?

My Jet screams blue murder when I take the others out but it only lasts a short time and then she just sulks until we return. She may be mightly pissed off that I've left her behind but she doesn't suffer with separation anxiety (she did when she was little though when I left her!!)

Jo
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
If you knew you were going to be taking Cassie out hunting in all your years of research that you claim you did was it not most obvious that nearly all breeders state that NIs dont like being on their own and make very bad only dogs. Just suddenly dawned on me you said you researched the breed for years.
Does this not answer your question - it is only while Ela is a pup that Razcox has a problem:

Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
When she is a bit older she can come run too
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 08:54 PM
When I got my Bullie pup she was walked on her own with me for the first 5 months, she has no seperation issues at all, might be some thing to think about if any one is bringing a new pup in...hope Ella settles, don't give in to her they know how to play up...Inka was always used to having his brother round, but has fitted into a whole new routine without him, misses him like mad though but accepts being left now, keeping to the same routine is the key I think, they fell secure in routines.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Does this not answer your question - it is only while Ela is a pup that Razcox has a problem:
Thanks for clearing that up for kcjack hali!

2 hours maybe once a week for a few months is hardly a resaon for having a go!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Jo_W View Post
Rachel, when you say separation anxiety what do you mean? How is she behaving?

My Jet screams blue murder when I take the others out but it only lasts a short time and then she just sulks until we return. She may be mightly pissed off that I've left her behind but she doesn't suffer with separation anxiety (she did when she was little though when I left her!!)

Jo
We haven't gone out yet (my brother in law is on hoilday and the fields have only just been cut) but i am a firm believer in prevention. If i can do a few hours work now to make things a little easyier or Ela i will do.

When Cassie is taken outside or even upstairs without her Ela goes nuts and starts crying and making a huge fuss. She will also find something to chew to try and get our attention back to her. I might not be classed as separation anxiety but more pissed off puppy!

I am taking Cassie away for a few mins and putting Ela in the garden on her own for a few mins. So far so good the next step would be to put Cas on a lead go out the door and see what happens . . .
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 01:48 PM
2 hours a month then surely you can take her?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 02:31 PM
I could take her if i didn't mind the effect running over fields for two hours a week would do to her hips! A 5 month old large breed pup shouldn't do that level of exercise . . .
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 02:43 PM
As stated in the OP she goes nuts on the lead when Cassie is running around. Add a prey animal into the mix an i don't think it would be fair to take her on a lead and not let her join in. It would be like taking your kids to the fair but not letting one go on any rides while the rest do.

As for the comment about wolves as has been noted NI are not wolves they are dogs. Wolves don't get wormed on a reg basis either so going by your statement i shouldn't bother with that either!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2