View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 06:53 AM
A close friend of mine has just been through breast cancer and in al her searching for alternative remedies etc, heard great things about this. I hope it works for you.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 07:46 AM
It's good taken internally to boost the immune system, very highly thought of in rat circles.

After I had my chest infection last year I started putting it in my porridge which I shared with the rats
It's graded in umfs and the higher the umf rate the better. Local H&B have it but often not the higher umf. Higher the umf the more expensive just so that nobody gets a fright if they go to get some it isn't cheap.

Here's a link for anyone interested
http://www.manukahoney.co.uk/
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-09-2008, 08:44 AM
I have heard this is meant to be good. Noy heard about putting it on the wound though.
Anythings worth a try, as you have all been through so much with Jess's leg. Fingers crossed.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Hi Kirstie, sugar and honey can inhibit the growth of bacteria (for this reason they are used to preserve the fruit in jam) . In the days before the advent on antibiotics, these substances were widely used to treat wounds on the battlefield.

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:cgJh316C8mIJ:query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html%3Fres%3D9C0CE4D8123AF936A35757C0A966 958260%26sec%3D%26spon%3D%26pagewanted%3D1+sugar+b acterial+growth+war+wounds&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=u k

We tried Manuka honey on my Father's ulcerated leg, he was a diabetic with a very poor circulation so it didn't actually work for him.

Another thing to try on wounds which are slow to heal is an alginate dressing (seaweed) often used on leg ulcers in humans.
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:Q...lnk&cd=1&gl=uk

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:2...lnk&cd=4&gl=uk
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 09:23 AM
hiya not sire about on dogs but i use it as its meant to be good for the immune system!
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks everyone.

Minihaha, thats an interesting read. Someone had told me a couple of days ago that she had heard about putting sugar onto a wound but i hadn't read anything about it.

The one i got has a umf rating of 10+, which from what i have read seems to be the better.

Started applying it early evening yesterday, its very messy

Today (dare i say it again) her wound looks slightly better, not so swollen and aggressive looking. Second lot applied this morning.

So we will take it a day at a time, i've applied some more and bianca tried her hardest to lick it all off, so again they are seperated

I will know from experience, by mon/tues if its working as this will be when jessies wound tends to start opening again. Fingers crossed. We will see though! Anything is worth ago.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 10:34 AM
I've only have experience of this with my clients, one of which had breast cancer and an open wound on her breast.
The DN's had used most things and it never healed.

She eventually was using pure manuka honey under a dressing which did the trick, as much as a tumour can be stopped in it's tracks it was.

Mach sure it manuka honey, and there are also different grades usually the more expensive the better.
Also supermarkets sell it now, cheaper than in a health food store. Morrison's was about £6.99 a jar as opposed to H&B where it was more like £11.99.

It's good stuff and worth a try!
colliemagic
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2008, 10:47 AM
I've never used it myself but our Tissue Viability Team at work use it on patients wounds which are difficult to treat. Interesting to read it also works on dogs, useful to know.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 10:54 AM
My family and myself have used organic honey with great results on wounds and boils. I've never thought on trying it on the dogs. Manuka honey I've heard is the best, but it's v expensive so I've never used that type.

The only thing I'd be wary of is the smell attracting insects when outside.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Its fabulous stuff!!! I use it all the time on my skin ( i have severe contact dermatitis) and on the dogs. My step mother had some really nasty bites that left her in A&E . I told her about it and we used it on them. Within 2 days they were almost gone after 2 weeks of ABC's and anti-inflammatories.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >