Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Sorry have no idea other than to get a cat!!

But HOW CUTE! I would keep them, lol!
he is very cute, which is why i could never kill them....
cat isnt an option as Bruno would eat the cat !!!

Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
We used to live in an old house next to a churchyard and had mice every winter Oil of peppermint on cotton wool where they are coming in worked very well make sure it's oil not essence though
will give that a go - however we arent exactly sure where they are coming from as think its behind the kitchen units where the pipes come in...so would have to take the units out.
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
I have always found the humane traps with a bourbon biscuit inside worked a treat!
will give it a bash although its a waste of a lovely bourbon biscuit !! lol
he likes the peanut butter - but is wise at getting it out of the trap.
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I have kobi cat so never see any mice,,,,, well sometimes left over bits
nice thanks for the lovely image shona pmsl.
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
You could always get an exterminator in.... then they could deal with poison/traps etc for you?
couldnt do that either !! told you am a wuss, would rather catch them and release them somewhere else
Originally Posted by Katiecoos View Post
He looks so cute, but can understand why you dont want him and his family in your house.
indeed !! just got to find the rest of his family now !
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Problem is, that unless you catch all of them, and take them miles and miles away, they will just come back!

A pair of mice can have about 7 or 8 babies I'm sure, and the babies are sexually mature at about a couple of months old, and will mate with each other.

We had mice in our garage/shed and within about a month of me ignoring them, hoping we'd co-exist, they had eaten all my winter stored fruit and veg; plant seeds and bulbs, got into the dog and chicken food; and even chewed through electric flex.

We got rentokil in... tho' I must admit to staying well out of the way!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I live near fields so often used to get them in about this time of year when it got colder. If you have seen an adult and a baby, you have an entire family with uncles, aunts, cousins, brothers, sisters and mum and dad, tucked away somewhere.
I got a plug in thing that I got from Woolies, it sends an electronic signal around the house that puts them off from coming in, never seen any since.
am off to get one of them anyway as its worth a try isnt it. But if they are already here I wonder whether it will get rid of them....or do they just not like the sound waves or whatever and escape....

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
We had a mouse infestation as students Dani and we were the same, 3 veggies and a few Zoology students meant that within a couple of months they took over as we didn't want to hurt them, we also all got poorly though so it is worth trying hard to get rid. The oil of peppermint sounds interesting, but wouldn't stop them living in the walls??? Do you have neighbours downstairs too? You would have to work with them to stop it I suspect and if there are neighbours above, them too. Is it definitely a field mouse/ They are soooo cute. We get them in the garden....

I wouldn't have thought putting them in the garden would make a difference though....won't they just come back in again???

I have evry sympathy but notbhing useful to say...sorry. It is really cute and Luca has a good point....

yes we have neighbours downstairs not above, they have only just moved in. I think the mice are living under the floor and coming up through a gap where the pipes come up as everywhere else is tiled to the wall so they couldnt get through, if they are in the floor/wall then that plug in thing might work.. No i dont think putting in the garden would make any difference as i think they will just get in again, but this was a baby and i just couldnt kill it but had nothing to put it in to take it anywhere either. i put him in long grass at the bottom of the garden so hopefully it will take him a while to get back home and perhaps he might get sidetracked on way !! LOL

i am off to invest in some better humane traps as the one we have is just a tray of food as far as this mouse is concerned. We have only ever seen a big bluey coloured one ( not rat though definetly mouse ) and then this baby one. I know that they can make you ill and if werent for the fact that they were in my kitchen i might be a bit less bothered but eeek i dont want them in there.

Maybe get a cat in for a few days and get rid of bruno for a few days if it comes to it !!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Sonic mouse scarer here too - after we got rid of the first infestation ( thanks to Spotty, first jack russell ) we have never had any more!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 01:20 PM
hi

can you advise which mouse repeller plug ins you use - they seem to start from about £7 and go up to £47 !!!

which brand do you have ?
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 01:29 PM
heavens - that's a question - we've had ours maybe 10 years plus.. can't see any name on it

how about google sonic mouse repeller for brand names and then google reviews of the brand you're interested in?
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I have to say without seeing how big that was my first thought was it was a baby rat..... it has a ratty face.

We have field mice and house mice here.... and rats being in the country. When we had a mouse infestation in the garage I used the humane traps, then collected the mice and drove them to the nature reserve and let them go!
Of course I also have Tonto, who would eat them if he could (he did chew a few of the traps up out of spite) and Abigail the cat, who often deposits pressies for us on the front lawn.... like a baby rat just the other day!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
I have to say without seeing how big that was my first thought was it was a baby rat..... it has a ratty face.

We have field mice and house mice here.... and rats being in the country. When we had a mouse infestation in the garage I used the humane traps, then collected the mice and drove them to the nature reserve and let them go!
Of course I also have Tonto, who would eat them if he could (he did chew a few of the traps up out of spite) and Abigail the cat, who often deposits pressies for us on the front lawn.... like a baby rat just the other day!
I have to say, I thought that too, it doesnt look very small, the adults kobi kills are prob smaller {we have a field right at the back of the house,,,
I did think it looked a tad ratty,,,sorry,, how big was it dani?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I have to say, I thought that too, it doesnt look very small, the adults kobi kills are prob smaller {we have a field right at the back of the house,,,
I did think it looked a tad ratty,,,sorry,, how big was it dani?
def a mouse it was tiny - thats my hand and its sitting in a microfibre cleaning cloth that isnt very big - even though it looks a tad like a towel in that picture . he was no more than 2 inches long. and very thin. def just a baby.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I would go for the pipes being the entry point just had to be at most difficult place

Chocolate or bacon is worth trying in a trap hope they go as quick as they came!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >