Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes, I have a question please. In your thread last night you said you would have to give Gizmo up due to some very bad health news you received yesterday, and the fact that you wouldn't be able to cope with walking him. Irrespective of the fact that he is to go into a working life because that is what you perceive him to be used for, if he HAS bonded with you to the extent I'm led to believe from people who have met you, then why can't he live just a normal life with you like thousands of other gsd's do??? I've had 6 and I know for a fact, gsd's are content with any kind of life you give them as long as they get a good run every day. SO, if you can't even give him a good run every day, then how on earth can you raise a NI puppy (yeah, I know 18 months old) when I consider those dogs to need EVEN MORE EXERCISE????? I'm baffled????!!! You posted on here lunchtime today that you ARE still getting the NI dog, even AFTER you said all that last night which has now all gone, strangely enough!
Hi Helena54

The thread was removed by minihaha - i received a pm from her letting me know.

I was told (rightly or wrongly i don't know) that the NI is not an overly active dog - as in he will go on long walks if you want him to but will laze around doing nothing if needs be also.

At the moment i don't know what is happening on Sunday. I know i should say say NO re taking on the new dog but i actually feel guilty that the person brought him across from ireland last week in place of a dog that she was going to show so could only show the one so i need to consider her feelings also - at the moment i'm at a loss - i'm trying to think of everyone elses feelings, dogs that i don't want hurt and also my situation.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Hi Linda, Sorry for asking but is this the same NI you mentioned last Friday,,, Its just I thought you had siad that would be a few months down the line, or is this a diff NI dog to the one you mentioned
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Yes but she'll get over it, whereas YOU are committed for the dog's life???!!! Can you cope with that??? Then that's TWO of them, both young dogs, both full of energy needing lots and lots of exercise, one with a skin complaint????? I think you'd be absolute mad to take on another dog, afterall, a dog IS for life. We can't just pass them around like bits of furniture, that's why we have to think hard and fast everytime we take on even an old rescue! Two will be a lot more for you to handle than just Gizmo I can assure you of that! I can also assure you of the fact that even gsd's are more than happy to laze about, look at my Georgie!!!! He was only FIVE years old when I rescued him with his terrible skin condition, and yet the vet told me I could NOT overdo it with him, he wasn't used to the exercise that Cassie got (with the horse or the bike that is), he was rarely walked and if he was it was only around the block for 10 mins with his ball in his mouth!!! He was a happy dog though and he's never pestered me to go out even now after 4 years! They are what you MAKE them, so please don't give up on Gizmo, he'll be happy to go along with your own way of life I'm positive of it. It will be far more upsetting for him to be moved on somewhere else if he's bonded so well with you, I'm also sure of that.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Shona

Sorry i missed your post - yep it was meant to be.

Helena54

I do see where you're coming from and it is good advice which i do know but tend to get a bit carried away sometimes. Yep i think Gizmo has a fantastic bond with me - far better than i thought he would at his age.

It's unusual for me to have so many people being friendly and giving helpful advice even if cursing me at the same time, lol.

I'm more or less decided what road to go down - i just need the courage to carry out my convictions. If that makes sense.

Careful Shona - we may turn up at training, lol - well we would if you were closer
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by k9xxb View Post
Shona

Sorry i missed your post - yep it was meant to be.

Helena54

I do see where you're coming from and it is good advice which i do know but tend to get a bit carried away sometimes. Yep i think Gizmo has a fantastic bond with me - far better than i thought he would at his age.

It's unusual for me to have so many people being friendly and giving helpful advice even if cursing me at the same time, lol.

I'm more or less decided what road to go down - i just need the courage to carry out my convictions. If that makes sense.

Careful Shona - we may turn up at training, lol - well we would if you were closer
If you do keep the wee man Im sure we could meet in the middle, theres loads of things you could do to keep him happy that dont need you to be running round like a headless chook, believe me I have bad hips and back, I still manage with the mutts
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Can I just say Linda,

From what I saw of the pup, given I have had Gsd's in the past and worked them, I thought the pup to be nice, but I didnt think he was OTT in his drive, I think with the RIGHT upbringing and handling you could easily turn him into a lovely pet, poss doing a bit of obed or similar I dont think you would be stuck on channeling his needs
Firstly Linda, thank you for your reply, now I have took Shona;s quote because I am not a novice with dogs (worked and trained for double figure years) and I agree with what Shona has said.

Also I can see a bond straight away with Gizmo, not only in the way he listens to you, but I noticed that when he sat with you....he WANTED to sit with you, which is quite different to a dog ''being MADE to sit with you''. However as Gizmo is so young I agree with others about getting another dog(sorry didn't see your post about ill health) when they comment on it being ''double the exercise/training''. We can all be a little carried away at times, but you have a fansastic pup there, I for one agree, forget the other dog, and channel your efforts into Gizmo, I think you will very pleasantly surprised how he'll turn out.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Well i've just emailed michelle who is gizmo's breeder - again, lol!! My wee man IS staying. Thanks to ALL the good advice.

Shona i'll do you a trade - if you can help me with the ob side then i can help you with the protection side - my ob is rubbish as i don't walk in a straight line, lol.

When my days off allow, i'll take him through to Leslie also as we may as well start training for his kc good citizen awards. Can't have Sasha being the only one with her gold, lol.

THANK YOU for letting me rant - it really is appreciated and has helped with the sound advice (on both threads).
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 07:42 PM
I won't pretend that I am not relieved Linda because I am. I look forward to the pictures as he gets bigger. I am sure Shona will be as helpful as she always is. Good Luck
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I won't pretend that I am not relieved Linda because I am. I look forward to the pictures as he gets bigger. I am sure Shona will be as helpful as she always is. Good Luck
Thank you
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by k9xxb View Post
Well i've just emailed michelle who is gizmo's breeder - again, lol!! My wee man IS staying. Thanks to ALL the good advice.

Shona i'll do you a trade - if you can help me with the ob side then i can help you with the protection side - my ob is rubbish as i don't walk in a straight line, lol.

When my days off allow, i'll take him through to Leslie also as we may as well start training for his kc good citizen awards. Can't have Sasha being the only one with her gold, lol.

THANK YOU for letting me rant - it really is appreciated and has helped with the sound advice (on both threads).

I take it thats an offer of being my bite work stoodge yeh would love to take you up on that,,, duno why but people willing to stick a bite sleeve on and have a rottie hurtle towards them are thin on the ground
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >