Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
yes and not at all how we say it really!

Diarrhoea is another one i have trouble with. In the spelling sense, not that i suffer with it. lol!

I've written that word in the front of my dictionary now as well !! Thanks for that.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Alison poor Asti , it must be horrid for dogs to have sore eyes or ears.

Amy used to get inflamed conjunctiva, older dogs tend to get it quite often, hers was due to irritation . As with humans when dogs get older the conjunctiva of the eye secretes less of the natural oils and mucous that lubricates and keeps the eyes moist, so the eyes become irritated.

If the conjunctivitis is due to infection the discharge is usually yellowy/green and with allergy it is usually fairly clear.

I used to make up a mild saline solution to use on Amy which is of a similar composition to tears .This is made by boiling water and adding one pint to a teaspoon of salt and allowing it to cool, then bathing the eyes. I used to bathe her eyes daily taking a piece of cotton wool and making sure it is very wet to prevent loose fibres escaping, also using a clean piece for each eye to prevent cross contamination if there is any infection. You can also trickle the solution in using an eye dropper from the chemist but some dogs don't like that.

(I have exactly the same problem with my eyes now I am older and have to bathe them each day) .

Irritation can be particularly bad in the summer when dogs are running through the grass which has become long and full of dust and pollen from the grass seeds.

If you think the conjuctivitis is caused by infection and it doesn't clear up the vet can take a swab.
Thanks for that Mini, that information is really helpful. It's a bit worrying as there was yellowy/green discharge coming from her eyes but those antibiotic drops should have cleared that up. Anyway apart from giving the drops, I will bathe her eyes every day the way you have said and with that solution you have suggested Mini. I'll let you know how it goes and if it doesn't clear up I will ask the vet about a swab. Thanks again Mini and to you all.

I'm sorry to hear you have trouble with your eyes as well Mini.
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Another good old fashioned remedy for eyes is cold tea. Make a nice strong cup of tea (no milk or sugar obviously) let it get cold and bathe the eyes three times a day, trying to put a drop or two in at the same time as bathing them. When Candy had it the drops the vet gave did not clear it up after 7 days so I tried the old fashioned remedy and it cleared it up within 3 days.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by CandyKooKoo View Post
Another good old fashioned remedy for eyes is cold tea. Make a nice strong cup of tea (no milk or sugar obviously) let it get cold and bathe the eyes three times a day, trying to put a drop or two in at the same time as bathing them. When Candy had it the drops the vet gave did not clear it up after 7 days so I tried the old fashioned remedy and it cleared it up within 3 days.
Thanks. that's another thing to try if it doesn't clear up.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 07:55 PM
2 of my dogs at the moment have gungy eyes. I'm not sure why Jessie has a problem but it's gone from one eye and into the other (i've been careful not to cross contaminate).

Flynn was hunting pheasants in a wheat field the other day and when he came back his eye was running. Now it seems to have gotten infected but at least I know what caused his.

Think i'm going to have to try the saline or tea route to clear it up.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2008, 09:18 PM
I thought I would give an update on Asti's eyes - they are much better now thanks to you all. There's hardly any discharge coming out now and the tiny bit that is is clear. She's not pawing at them anymore and she seems a lot happier.

I'm still putting in the drops directed by the vet and every morning I am bathing her eyes in the mild saline solution you have all mentioned and doing it the way Mini has mentioned. So it's all going well.

Thanks again to you all

I hope your dog's eyes are a lot better soon Leanne as well.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2008, 09:37 PM
We have been to the vet today as Fudge has conjunctivitus. This is the second time she has had it . We have been prescribed fucithalmic cream which worked last time so fingers crossed.

I will keep checking this thread as there is a lot of good advice regarding this condition.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2