Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dragan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2008, 10:51 PM
hi sophie

we have a now 15 weeks old puppy which still howls when it is time for bed.
we have her for a few weeks now and she still hasn't learned to be alone at night.
we leave the radio on for her.
some nights she is fine with it and some night she just won't settle.
i hope you stay strong and don't worry. as long as you havent got anything around where your doggy cant hurt himself he will be fine
xx
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2008, 02:58 AM
Is there any particular reason not to let pup sleep in your room ? If you`ve been told pup will grow up to be `dominant` or any such rot if allowed to sleep with his humans, please put that thought in the bad advice bin where it belongs
He will sleep soundly in the place where he can feel safe and secure - and that will most likely where he can see you as he nods off As he gets older and more confident in his surroundings he may well choose to mooch off and sleep elsewhere but the more he is separated at such a young age when already bewildered at being taken from his mum and siblings, the more chance there is that he could develop separation anxiety or at least become very clingy due to trying to be with you every possible moment rather than have so many hours completely isolated night after night.

All my dogs sleep with me on my bed, [ if they did`nt want to be close by I`d wonder what I`d done wrong ], and I don`t get a peep out of them from the moment I go to sleep to the moment I`m ready to get up again
Not everyone want`s their dog to sleep on their bed but if pup at least has a comfy bed of his own in the same room as you, you and pup will get to sleep soundly and if anything it will also help greatly with toilet training as pup will at least stand a chance of letting you know when he needs to go out, that`s something he can`t do when shut off from you and being deliberately ignored because the breeder says to not go to him
Just think, good sound sleep for you both and no kitchen accidents to stumble into in the morning before caffeine has kicked in to help you spot it with eyes instead of toes
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2008, 05:48 AM
Hope your night went ok. and the little one wasn't too stressed. Big (((hugs)))
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2008, 05:55 AM
Let us know what you did in the end, honey.
Hope it was all ok in the end.......
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Hope it went ok in the end.
I am not of the let the howl and leave them school of puppy rearing and all the pups I've reared have grown up to be well adjusted dogs who sleep through and have no issues with being left.
I leave them in their crate when they are tired. So I have a good old play with them for a while, then sit with them and as they calm and fall asleep I pop them in their crate with all the things you mentioned and their cuddly toy!
If they wake in the night I go to them and let them out...in the dark so they don't think 'playtime' I put them striaght back into their crate and sit with them til they settle. If they get up and make a fuss I open the crate and pop them onto their bed and stroke them gently until they settle, then I shut the crate. One pup needed this for a good old while and it was exhausting, but most are sleeping through within a week, I don't think it's fair to leave them to cry, but I never left my son to cry either, didn't think that was fair. That's just me though.
As I say, all my pups are well adjusted and adaptable and sleep thought the night and have no seperation anxiety issues.
Hope this helps. xxxxx
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Many years ago an old boyfriend of mine (living with me) got a little Fox Terrier, who was supposed to be 5 weeks old... I reckon he was only 3 weeks old... He had no teeth and was so tiny... Since I didn't work at the time, I looked after him during the night... He was in a cardboard box, and I had my hand over the side of the bed so he could suck on my fingers. At that time he still needed that.

As he grew older he still wanted to suck on my fingers, and eventually got aggressive, when I wouldn't let him.

From that very young puppy stage he reckoned he was the boss.

Fortunately the boy friend moved out and took the dog with him.

If I had a puppy crying at night, I would get some earplugs, if I knew the pup was OK...
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Hi hope you slept a bit last night!

My advice is when ever you leave your pup, whether at night or in the day, scatter a few treats across the floor. That way he will recognise you leaving as being a good thing (sort of!) and not a reason for him to get upset. It should also take him a little while to find them all and keep him occupied. Make sure its something he likes!!

Good Luck
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2008, 07:37 AM
I am sorry Lene, but what a load of tosh!! The puppy more likely turned strange from being removed FAR far too young from his mum and siblings, there is a reason for the "8 week rule".

Sound advise from Patch and Ramble. Why should the puppy cry itself into exhaustion, when all he feels is loneliness and fear? If you teach your pup that he can sleep safely cos you are near and will look after him, it will be no trouble to move his bed or crate further and further away from your bed, and in time out of the bedroom. The bond you want to have with your pup starts with you being his everything, not by being the one who abandons him every night, as Patch explains, itr can make them even more nervous and clingy in the long run.

Good luck with it.
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Is there any particular reason not to let pup sleep in your room ? If you`ve been told pup will grow up to be `dominant` or any such rot if allowed to sleep with his humans, please put that thought in the bad advice bin where it belongs
He will sleep soundly in the place where he can feel safe and secure - and that will most likely where he can see you as he nods off As he gets older and more confident in his surroundings he may well choose to mooch off and sleep elsewhere but the more he is separated at such a young age when already bewildered at being taken from his mum and siblings, the more chance there is that he could develop separation anxiety or at least become very clingy due to trying to be with you every possible moment rather than have so many hours completely isolated night after night.

All my dogs sleep with me on my bed, [ if they did`nt want to be close by I`d wonder what I`d done wrong ], and I don`t get a peep out of them from the moment I go to sleep to the moment I`m ready to get up again
Not everyone want`s their dog to sleep on their bed but if pup at least has a comfy bed of his own in the same room as you, you and pup will get to sleep soundly and if anything it will also help greatly with toilet training as pup will at least stand a chance of letting you know when he needs to go out, that`s something he can`t do when shut off from you and being deliberately ignored because the breeder says to not go to him
Just think, good sound sleep for you both and no kitchen accidents to stumble into in the morning before caffeine has kicked in to help you spot it with eyes instead of toes
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2008, 08:09 AM
We made it through the night!! He didn't cry ONCE during the night. Once he'd cried and whined and made a lot of noise, he settled down and had a great night. Not a peep from Oscar until I went down at 7 a.m. He didn't wee in his bed all night (!) although he did knock over his water bowl, I think we need a different one. I'm crating him for very short periods (5 to 10 mins) during the day while I'm here to get him used to it.

Thanks for the reassurance. He's a cutie and a really good boy. It just broke my heart to hear him cry, I'm such a softie!
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »