Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
This is tragic.

Could you possibly go back to the park some time and see if they're there? This couple and the dog need help. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Mind you, it's already happening.

Plus the dog could cause an accident by chasing the cars, even if the cars do go slow there. He could run out from behind a car and in front of another one and that's that...a dead or seriously injured dog.
I know what you mean I have been worried about it all evening, but Cannon Hill is the other side of Birmingham to us, What was worse I had the impression that this was a every day occurrence, they were a little hard of hearing (well she was) and with any suggestions all she'd say was ''Oh! no leave him, we'll wait, he'll not like you to put your hand out.'''
Originally Posted by deez View Post
i met a quiet lively 80 year old man, who had rescued a 13 year old dog, i thought this was lovely, because they both where lonely, and now the dog will have a home, when not many will rehome older dogs. maybe rescue centres should think about matching people up more carefully
I felt they were more suitable to a much older dog that justs likes to walk at your side, this one was busy busy busy, back and forth like a something that had been caged. I still feel that if homed with mental stimulation I bet he would of been a great dog. He was like a coil
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I know what you mean I have been worried about it all evening, but Cannon Hill is the other side of Birmingham to us, What was worse I had the impression that this was a every day occurrence, they were a little hard of hearing (well she was) and with any suggestions all she'd say was ''Oh! no leave him, we'll wait, he'll not like you to put your hand out.'''

I felt they were more suitable to a much older dog that justs likes to walk at your side, this one was busy busy busy, back and forth like a something that had been caged. I still feel that if homed with mental stimulation I bet he would of been a great dog. He was like a coil
Sounds like you'd never get through to them anyway. Could you maybe give the rescue centres in the area a phone? Did they definitely get him from a rescue centre? (Sorry if I've missed this fact).

An old, laid back and relaxed dog would suit them better. Definitely NOT a young Border Collie.

Mental stimulation and basic training is probably what he needs, poor soul.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-07-2008, 08:32 PM
depends what they mean by a rescue as well. many people mistakenly describe pounds as rescues
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Sounds like you'd never get through to them anyway. Could you maybe give the rescue centres in the area a phone? Did they definitely get him from a rescue centre? (Sorry if I've missed this fact).

An old, laid back and relaxed dog would suit them better. Definitely NOT a young Border Collie.

Mental stimulation and basic training is probably what he needs, poor soul.
Yea three years ago...which, where from etc., who knows. We did stop on our way out and speak to a Police Dog man...he was parked up near the entrance and he said he'll go and give them a hand. which I figure he did as he strolled off towards them. I honestly think that they have created this dog, but I still think rescue's should look at what they are dishing out to, match a breed with the person/age/lifestyle etc., I feel very passionate about BC's (all of mine have been rescues) and I still stand by my opinion, they are not for the first time or faint hearted.
Pat has said we can go tomorrow (same time) as she did say they are always there....(maybe they stay overnight waiting Joke) and I'll have a talk to her, they were a lovely friendly old couple, asking all about ours etc., I'll give it a try.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 08:35 PM
How very sad for the owners and the dog The dog obviously need an active home and some training and the elderly owners could probably do without the hassle of a young BC, and would be far better off (and probably happier!) with an older, sedate companion
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 08:40 PM
So sad for the little guy - and for the couple who could have missed out on having a suitable companion. I agree with Krusewalker though - could have been a pound, or a disreputable rescue.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Yea three years ago...which, where from etc., who knows. We did stop on our way out and speak to a Police Dog man...he was parked up near the entrance and he said he'll go and give them a hand. which I figure he did as he strolled off towards them. I honestly think that they have created this dog, but I still think rescue's should look at what they are dishing out to, match a breed with the person/age/lifestyle etc., I feel very passionate about BC's (all of mine have been rescues) and I still stand by my opinion, they are not for the first time or faint hearted.
Pat has said we can go tomorrow (same time) as she did say they are always there....(maybe they stay overnight waiting Joke) and I'll have a talk to her, they were a lovely friendly old couple, asking all about ours etc., I'll give it a try.
That's something, at least you know when and where they got the dog from.

I totally agree with you that Border Collies are not for first time dog owners or for the faint hearted!

All the very best for tomorrow. I really hope you find this couple and try and offer them so help and advice or at least try and point them in the right direction. Maybe you could ask them for their phone number? I doubt they will have an email address but you never know! This really can't go on, for the sake of them and the dog. Do let us know.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
How very sad for the owners and the dog The dog obviously need an active home and some training and the elderly owners could probably do without the hassle of a young BC, and would be far better off (and probably happier!) with an older, sedate companion
My feelings exactly.
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
So sad for the little guy - and for the couple who could have missed out on having a suitable companion. I agree with Krusewalker though - could have been a pound, or a disreputable rescue.
Whats the betting it was a pound...........when my son got his (dillon) they never even did a home check
That's something, at least you know when and where they got the dog from.

I totally agree with you that Border Collies are not for first time dog owners or for the faint hearted!

All the very best for tomorrow. I really hope you find this couple and try and offer them so help and advice or at least try and point them in the right direction. Maybe you could ask them for their phone number? I doubt they will have an email address but you never know! This really can't go on, for the sake of them and the dog. Do let us know.
I'll give it a good go. There are a few good training classes I will write them down for her, I did feel (by the things she was asking) that they would love to get him trained, they were particularly interested in Skye and were asking how old etc., and she did make a number od comments that they would love thier dog to be like her. I felt they were really open to suggestions. So tomorrow we'll pop back as Pat has another day off and give it a go. Wish me luck
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I wonder how often mis-matches.
It sounds very like a case I came across recently. An elderly lady and her friend brought a collie cross to training class because she couldn't hold it and it was very aggressive with other dogs. The lady walked with a stick and wasn't able to move very quickly. She only got the dog a few weeks ago from what I thought was a reliable rescue. She came along a couple of times and I know the trainer felt the dog was in the wrong home was trying to sort things out.
It is sad when older dogs need a good home and older people need calmer companions.
I hope this couple can be persuaded to think again but after having the dog for so long I suppose it'll be hard for them to part with it.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
I wonder how often mis-matches.
It sounds very like a case I came across recently. An elderly lady and her friend brought a collie cross to training class because she couldn't hold it and it was very aggressive with other dogs. The lady walked with a stick and wasn't able to move very quickly. She only got the dog a few weeks ago from what I thought was a reliable rescue. She came along a couple of times and I know the trainer felt the dog was in the wrong home was trying to sort things out.
It is sad when older dogs need a good home and older people need calmer companions.
I hope this couple can be persuaded to think again but after having the dog for so long I suppose it'll be hard for them to part with it.

I bet they won't part with it, they seemed besotted by him....although the dog definately ruled.

I think I am going to word things tactfully, but try to explain that he will need lots of training and mental stimulation, so that he can be happier in himself....that might work.
I feel that the dog could be a good dog, but because they are old and slow movers that he feels that they are a 'pest' to him. (if you get my meaning) Do you get what I mean, sometimes when you stiop to talk to a friend, the dogs gets abit '''Oh come on, let's go, let's run, let's move' I felt he saw them like that.
Parking up a car and letting a dog like him out (even though it's a big place) to do his own thing, is not enough. Yes he's doing his own thing only wrongly.
Her husband was hunched backed and used a working stick,very frail, so what happens to this type of dog if something happened to him. I'll have to watch how I put it, but I may suddenly develope a imaginary neighbour in the same postion and tell her about them ( get what I'm saying) maybe that will lead them into thinking about thier dog. Hopefully they will go and get some training.
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »