View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Hiya , am I correct in saying you have only recently moved her to your new place ?
They are both gorgeous by the way , I've seen your pics on your last thread. When you give them hay , do you put it all in one pile ? Try puting it out in several piles all the way round the pen to spread it out. That way when they finish one lot , they will have to move to the next pile and this will mimick the natural grazing behaviour. Have they finished all of their hay by the time you next visit ? Try to give them as much hay as they can eat and more if you can. How many times a day do you feed them ? Is it possible for you to split the feeds up into several smaller ones so that they are getting 5 or 6 small feeds a day. Again , this is closer to the natural grazing behaviour and they may settle down if they realise they will not be left without for very long. Do you feed chaff ? ( over here in the UK , that is short chopped hay, sometimes mixed with good quality oat straw , which you mix with the feed to give more fibre (bulk) in their diet. You can also get alfalfa or lucerne chaff which has a higher nutritional value). If you can add lucerne (alfalfa) chaff to their feeds that will give them more fibre to digest (as well as being very good nutritionally) and they may not feel so hungry. Fibre in a horses diet takes longer to digest , and provides the horse with more energy through the action of the digestion process. This will make them feel fuller and will also help to put weight on. From the pics in your last thread , your mare is very thin. I know it's not your fault but it will take time for her to put on weight and forget how hungry she was. Feeding a foal (colt) , also uses up a lot of a mare's energy so it is especially important to make sure she is getting enough food (both hay and bucket feeds) to maintain her own bodyweight as well as provide enough milk for her foal. Your horse will need more food , as she is underweight , so that she is able to put more weight on.
She may stop the pawing once she knows she will not be left to go hungry. Usually , horses do this through excitement in anticipation of getting a feed. It's a hard habit to stop once established so she may always do it.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks. Well today when we went we ignored her till she stopped pawing (obviously keeping an eye on her so she didnt get hurt) and she did stop pawing. After she had we gave her her food. It was really nice She is getting 12 pounds of a Mare and Foal food a day (aplit into two meals) and just shy of a whole bale of hay a day. We cant split her meals till she is living with us, which is going to be VERY soon, gas is really expensive right now and its a bit of a drive to where she is at. After we are living 'with her' we could do that. She is putting on weight now though. O and we do have Alfalfa pellets and cubes that we give to her too but not every day.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Hey , that's great that she stopped pawing when you ignored her .
What height is she ? I'm concerned about the size of feed she has in one go. Does her foal eat her feed too ? Studies done at the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies near Edinburgh have shown that a horses stomach is not very big , and a maximum of 5 pounds of feed is the most it can take in one go.I went to a course of feeding lectures by Dr Derek Cuddeford at Oatridge College. We were shown pictures of a horses stomach which had ruptured after the horse had eaten a big feed. Obviously , the horse died and the pictures were not pretty. I'm not trying to scare you , just making you aware of the dangers of feeding big meals. Could you at least split her feeds into 3 ? Give the first feed when you arrive , spend a while doing whatever you can for a couple of hours , then give her feed number 2 before you leave. One more feed later would still only mean 2 trips to see her but she would be safer with smaller feeds. That way you could give her 3 x 4 pound feeds rather than 2 x 6 pounds. The mare and foal feed should have a very good energy value so that's great. Personally , I would give her some alfalfa cubes in her feed every day. They are so good for horses , especially as she has very little grass in her pen at the moment. They are rich in calcium and phosphorous , and that is especially good for nursing mares and growing foals. If you could give her 3 x 4 pound feeds , you would be able to split 1 pound of the cubes between each feed without going over the 5 pounds.
If you can't manage to be there to give her 3 feeds , is there someone you can trust to give her one feed. What's your routine, do you drive there once a day and do everything while you are there , or do you feed her in the morning then go back again at night ? If you can only manage one trip , how long do you stay ? I'm trying to work out how you could manage to give her 3 smaller , safer feeds without costing you a fortune in gas .
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 01:17 AM
No she is fed in the morning and at night. 6 pounds each time. The feed that she is on reccomends feeding for her size 12 pounds a day. She is about 15.2ish hands. We could split her feed in half each time we go so she gets less in one feeding. We usually spend at least and hour out there taking care of about 6 horses, a mini horse and a pony. And yes her colt does eat with her. I wouldnt say he eats more than half a scoop though.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2008, 02:07 AM
Sorry I took a while to reply , I was searching for info on the net for you . You have a good system there ! It would really help her a lot if you could split her feeds into amounts lower than 5 pounds per feed. So , 12 pounds of your Mare & Foal mix , split into 3 feeds of 4 pounds, or 4 feeds of 3 pounds. You could add 1 pound of the alfalfa cubes/pellets split between the 3 or 4 feeds. The max amount per feed would only be 4 and a half pounds if split into 3. Another option if you can't give her more than 2 feeds a day , so that she is still having the full 12 pounds of mix, is to spread her hay out across the pen and scatter her feed over the hay .
That way it will take her longer to search for and eat a 6 pound feed but with no risk to her digestive system. I wouldn't use that method though if she was having to compete with other horses. As she's only got her foal with her , feeding that way would be fine. You could also leave her eating this way and go off to handle the other horses. She will be to busy searching through the hay incase she has missed one crumb of her feed , that she won't even think about pawing at the fence . Here's a link to a company who produce alfalfa for horse feeds. There's a lot of good information on the site. I don't know if they supply the U.S.A. but the nutritional information on alfalfa will be the same.
http://www.dengie.com/.
It sounds like you are doing well with her and her foal. Carry on as you are but please cut the size of each feed down if you can. .
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Np that sounds great! Thanks so much for the help
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2