View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2008, 06:08 AM
Some people just dont care . my collies are daft as a brush but i would still like them to ask before stroking them as everyone has said how do they know that the dog likes children , am of the mind though i will tell the parents that they should have more sense than let there kids stroke a strange dog as the next one may rip there arm off
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Aaaarrgghhh things like this make me so mad.
Children always want to stroke Ollie he can be a bit funny with people he doesn't know including Children bounding up to him so I warn them before they get too near. So far though most people ask for their Children or the children ask and I say best not too I think Ollies size puts most people off of stroking him without asking.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
WE once had a toddler stalk us around some aisles in Tescos when we were in there with a pup...no sign of the parents and this child was following us trying to grab the 40kg GSD X pups tail.....the dog was daft as a brush and adored children..but bouncy....honestly some people amaze me...
I've had members of staff trying to coax the dog over to pet it whilst in with dogs in Tesco. Surely they should know better.

The parents must have thought the pup was a sort of creche facility provided by the store.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:13 AM
I think dog-owners these days have to be aware that the general public don`t come into cintact with animals of any sort much and dog-owners are now in the minority. Therefore people lack knowledge about how to approach dogs. I think it`s up to us to educate where we can, and to remember that most people out there will assume any dog out in public is friendly.
Yes, parents should educate their children to ask first. In my experience the majority do. But even so, a child bouncing up to a dog to hug it is infinitely preferable to one freezing with terror or running away screaming, isn`t it?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
But even so, a child bouncing up to a dog to hug it is infinitely preferable to one freezing with terror or running away screaming, isn`t it?
Yes, certainly as dog owners we should educate where we can. But as to which kind of child is preferable; that would depend on the temprement of your dog wouldn't it. A nervous one that is likely to retaliate if it feels cornered or a dog with sore ears that might snap if they are touched for example. (But then to a dog with high prey drive a small person running and screaming is just an invitation to chase.)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Absolutely, Evie - but just as people learn to drive `defensively`(and assume the other people on the road are all idoots) I think these days, because the consequences are so serious, we have to assume that most people out there aren`t clued up on dogs, and manage our dogs accordingly.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Perhaps some manners towards animals in general should be taught in school, after all it is a saftey issue after all. Like looking both ways before crossing the road sort of thing.

Heidi
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I had this happen to me in the park a litlte while ago, we had Shadow running about after his ball and he was standing waiting for me to throw it for him, when a man came walking over with his daughter who couldn't be more than 4 telling her to stroke the doggie and throw him sticks, when she threw the stick he wasn't interested because he knew there was a ball, so she tried to put in his mouth. I kindly asked the gentleman to tell his daughter to stop doing this because he wasn't interested and she was just annoying him, and that he shouldn't let his daughter go near dogs that she doesn't know.
I couldn't believe that me (23) had to re educate a man in his mid forties about approaching animals!!
My OH just stood their thinking here she goes again!!! But like I said to him if Shadow got really annoyed and bite her it would me that was to blame and he would be put down, even if he's the friendliest dog we know!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2