View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2008, 06:34 PM
would you say the dog is treating the sendaway as a short track rather than sendaway,,,does she dive out without putting her head down to scent or without wind scenting? Or is she kinda tracking the sendaway?
Is tracking a really strong point for the dog? if so it could be something to do with that,, eg, I love tracking hence I will track to the point which mum went to? just a thought,,, I have had similar problems with that in the past
dogs eh? you solve one thing,, another will soon pop up just to keep us on our toes,,,
sometimes a break can be a good thing,, have a rest then go back as if its a new training exercise,, I found royce to be a sod on retreive,, he would go and get it ok, bring it back ok, but the idea of holding it untill taken was beyond him, I had a break in training then went back to it a month later with a clicker and voila,, but I think the break from it was 60% of the cure,,
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I suppose the method I used with Jed was just simplistic and you've probably tried it. I'd already taught him commands at a distance so I got some little orange football cones and put them at the other end of the garden. Then I put a treat in the middle, told him "away" and as soon as he'd got the treat, sent him into a down.

I did initially start this differently though on the park. I simply threw treats in different directions and as he went after them, said "away" and then put him in a down at distance.

It's not something I've practiced much so I dont think Jed could do it without the treats.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Many thanks for suggestions -
I`m going to try the reverse chain thing using food, I think.

Yes she does do a proper sendaway, not a track.
Can`t use clicker / toy treat because it sometimes takes me 20 minutes to get the toy back (yup - we`re working on it!)
Can`t use a cone in my garden because it`s too tiny - basically a dog loo with flowerpots.

we shall persevere!
thanks
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2008, 09:23 PM
good luck let us know how it works x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2