View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Well.....if you really had no plans for the summer in terms of going away during the week, I think it sounds like a lovely thing to do.

But it is a big tie. To my mind its not so much the getting up in the morning, its the always being back by 6pm in the evening.

As you say, it has to be a family decision. The only thing I would say is that you've done a lot for the guidedogs previously and I'm sure you will again, so if you end up deciding the time isn't right, please don't feel at all guilty.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Well.....if you really had no plans for the summer in terms of going away during the week, I think it sounds like a lovely thing to do.

But it is a big tie. To my mind its not so much the getting up in the morning, its the always being back by 6pm in the evening.

As you say, it has to be a family decision. The only thing I would say is that you've done a lot for the guidedogs previously and I'm sure you will again, so if you end up deciding the time isn't right, please don't feel at all guilty.
Thanks Fiona.
They will cover holidays.
I agree it is the being back at night, but there will probably be another boarder who would cover if for us if necessary...plus, we can get back, settle the dog at home, then go out to eat etc as the dog will be exhausted.

They are keen for us to do it but understand if we don't...

Of course, if our last pup fails in the meantime, it's all hearsay anyway as we would have too many resident dogs

We have given a provisional ok and they are coming out to check out the hounds to see what sort of trainee dog would best fit with them!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Of course, if our last pup fails in the meantime, it's all hearsay anyway as we would have too many resident dogs
Aww, have you heard how he's getting on - is he over his dislike of the harness/vest now? When do you find out if he passes?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Yes...he's over the harness thing...but life is never that simple huh?! Will PM you!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Yes...he's over the harness thing...but life is never that simple huh?! Will PM you!

I was just thinking the other day about how big pup was getting on
I think you are 95% there on making the decision. You know what you would be letting yourself in for and as you said, you are restricted already with Cosmo and Biff. I think the enjoyment you would get from doing this would outway any of the downsides. As long as your son is happy with it, I would say yes
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I was just thinking the other day about how big pup was getting on
I think you are 95% there on making the decision. You know what you would be letting yourself in for and as you said, you are restricted already with Cosmo and Biff. I think the enjoyment you would get from doing this would outway any of the downsides. As long as your son is happy with it, I would say yes
Now that's scary. You know us so well already!

I just know how lovely it is to think our pups are at a boarders rather than in kennels...Guide Dog kennels are fantastic, don't get me wrong and the dogs enjoy being in them in the main....BUT I do feel better and it's just me being daft!!!! So to do that for someone else's pup would be nice.

The big guy is having his ups and downs...just as he gets over one hurdle. He is still a wait and see....we would have him back like a shot though so all this could be pie in the sky anyway!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 12:46 PM

The big guy is having his ups and downs...just as he gets over one hurdle. He is still a wait and see....we would have him back like a shot though so all this could be pie in the sky anyway!
He is in a win win situation then
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
He is in a win win situation then
Awwwww, yes he is....
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 05:03 PM
I think it sounds like a good idea.
Lie ins with kids and dogs are non exsistant anyway and those occasions when you want to stay out for a long day/ holiday will be covered by other boarders.

That is if big pup qualifies as a fully fledged guide dog....
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I think it sounds like a good idea.
Lie ins with kids and dogs are non exsistant anyway and those occasions when you want to stay out for a long day/ holiday will be covered by other boarders.

That is if big pup qualifies as a fully fledged guide dog....
Thanks Evie, it's so true, can't remember my last lie in!
It would seem the if in your final sentence could be an important one....
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >