View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I really don`t like attributing human characteristics to dogs - I think it does both species a disservice. The `managing` of her surroundings gives your bitch pleasure because it probably soothes her and gives her a sort of control over her environment. `Obsessive` behaviour is a by-product of some dogs` breeding (working collies for example) and is more to do with their drives than any human-type mental condition.
Autism and OCD are very different presentations of complex conditions and should not IMO be attributed to dogs. This is not to say that dogs don`t also have complex behaviours which may cause problems but until we understand what life is life without speech, or verbal thought processes, but with the addition of enhanced senses, I don`t think we can truly understand the mind of any animal (sorry Bruce!)
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Aww who knows what goes on in their heads
I have seen lots of OCD behaiviour in collies
a friends when a stick was chucked in the water had to 1st sniff out the stick that had been thrown and the take out every other stick cos sticks shouldnt be in the water
another dog has to pick up things that move - in autumn he had mouthfulls of leaves and now it is blossom and cut grass - none of the other dogs can touch HIS leaves and if he drops some he has to pick them all up again
but if there is no wind then he wont pick them up he just stairs and stairs till they move
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 02:11 PM
That's interesting... my vet reckoned it was a stress thing (and Takara is very stressy) so judging on what you said, Claire and Daisy, should I continue to allow it in order to help her feel more comfortable or is it better to not allow it?

I've just left work so am hoping to be able to spend some more time with her, and helping with the stress related behaviours she already displays.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I ask because Takara has this 'thing' about her blankets.
I used to put them back straight away but she'd start a tug of war so I now put them back while she's not looking but as soon as she notices they're back inside, she goes and collects them and puts them back on the drive
Daft thing is, she doesn't do anything with them when they're outside - she just seems to think that's where they should be.

Any ideas?
so why not leave them there? I`d be interested to know what happens then......maybe she doesn`t want them in her bed - who knows? It`s her bed, after all!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 05:12 PM
I have left them there - she doesn't care. Doesn't pay any attention to them at all, it's just that then I end up having to wash them because it rains on them!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Maybe she`s chucking them out because freshly-washed blankies don`t smell of her own scent? One of my sons used to object to me washing his comfort-blanket when he was little because it `didn`t smell right`
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Hmm... possibly, but they're not always freshly washed. (I think she just likes making me work!)
Well I brought them in yesterday and put them by the washing machine instead of next to her bed and she hasn't bothered with them at all. (Although I haven't been down yet this morning).

I have realised, however, that the doggy corner of the kitchen consists of their bed, grooming box, toy basket and the blankets. And the blankets are often piled next to the toy basket so I wonder if she just thinks that that's what they're there for? She doesn't actually play with them but perhaps if she thinks they're for her to play with - then outside is the place for them to be!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 11:45 AM
I often tell Flynn he has OCD because after mealtimes, he will obssessively lick his bowl. Now, I know it's normal for dogs to get every last scrap from their bowl but he takes it to the extreme and will just keep licking and licking and I have to take it from him in the end as i'm sure it's not healthy!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2