Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 12:00 PM
well i thought it was a bit of fun.

a common name would stop the high prices. giving them cute names makes people want them more and will pay stupid prices rather than going to the rescue centres.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
While I do not support the crossbreeding of any breeds and the sad fashion cross breed market.
I would not belittle any crossbreed, they are a dog none the less and should be loved as any pedigree by their owners.
Perhaps we should think up more apt names for the people that breed these dogs

good one
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

25-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Either. Anyone that crossbreeds for money or breeds with no history of the dogs and no health tests etc.
Belittle the breeders not the dogs that didn't have a say in it.
The term cross breed is fine in my book. It describes what the dog is.

I don't look at a dog and say that's a pedigree and that's a crossbreed. I say that's a "whatever breed it is" or that's a crossbreed.
Both are what they are Dogs, it is people and the press that give names out. To call a dog a pavement special or any other derogatory name is to show disrespect to the dog and to be honest snobbery.
I've had a crossbreed previously (family dog, rescued) and i would find the term pavement special insulting to his memory. Deal with the problem ie, the puppy farmers and designer dog breeders (which term we should refrain from using otherwise the press will continue to use it) and not tar the poor dogs with these horrible names.
In agree with this .

Great post Megan 57 collies.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-04-2008, 12:48 PM
...or alternatively you could give what I do a try, and call um all dogs!
I've got a purpose bred X breed who's far from a total straight cross who I paid about two hundred quid for a few years ago, and i've got a pedigree English Springer with a pedigree going back as far back as anyone cares to count with, excuse if this sounds bigheaded, some of the finest ESS' in that there have ever been..and i paid four hundred pounds for him.
But yknow what? They both walk the same, eat the same, fart the same, take up the sofa in the same way, lick my face in the same way, and come racing over with their whole behinds twitching and tounges out in the same way, so to me..they ain't no different from each other!
a dogs a dog in my eyes
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
...or alternatively you could give what I do a try, and call um all dogs!
I've got a purpose bred X breed who's far from a total straight cross who I paid about two hundred quid for a few years ago, and i've got a pedigree English Springer with a pedigree going back as far back as anyone cares to count with, excuse if this sounds bigheaded, some of the finest ESS' in that there have ever been..and i paid four hundred pounds for him.
But yknow what? They both walk the same, eat the same, fart the same, take up the sofa in the same way, lick my face in the same way, and come racing over with their whole behinds twitching and tounges out in the same way, so to me..they ain't no different from each other!
a dogs a dog in my eyes
Totally agree. We love them all the same.
We don't love our pedigrees because of their breeding do we? We love them becasuse of their characters, and that applies to any other dogs. They're all the same in the eyes of a loving owner.
Changing the name of a cross breed or designer dog won't make any difference. If people are stupid enough to fall for a label then there's no hope for them anyway
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
well i thought it was a bit of fun.

a common name would stop the high prices. giving them cute names makes people want them more and will pay stupid prices rather than going to the rescue centres.
The proof is in the pudding though and after googling designer dogs in south africa it appears they still have the same idiots who buy these so called designer dogs and the stray problem in the cities appear worse than us.
I did come across an article on a South African who offered lots of money for a new designer minature poodle. It was supposed to be a joke as it was a clipped sheep, but he still wanted it.
It's all about vanity I think, with lot's of money apparentely comes little brains.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 02:05 PM
We've always just said the main breed that the dog looks like then addred cross on the end. Like our last dog she was a lab cross.

Heidi
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 02:36 PM
I wasn't belittling the dog's I thought it a bit of fun i've had cross breeds one of which we called a heinz as he was bit's of everything,.
I will not be drawn into a row. over this maybe a lighter sense of humour is needed sometimes.
Pavement specials well we all know what it mean's, and calling them a crossbred or a sprocker or a doodle doesn't make any diffrence they are still bitza's or crossbred's and it doesnt mean they are loved any the less after all they are still dog's.
The price of a sense of humour sometimes.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
I wasn't belittling the dog's I thought it a bit of fun i've had cross breeds one of which we called a heinz as he was bit's of everything,.
I will not be drawn into a row. over this maybe a lighter sense of humour is needed sometimes.
Pavement specials well we all know what it mean's, and calling them a crossbred or a sprocker or a doodle doesn't make any diffrence they are still bitza's or crossbred's and it doesnt mean they are loved any the less after all they are still dog's.
The price of a sense of humour sometimes.
thank you
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 06:28 PM
I won't get drawn into a row either and didn't instigate one or ask for the unfair sarcastic comments that you've posted at me Zoeybeau. Although it appears that if I don't find something funny that Hectorsmum has posted then it is me that is lacking a sense of humour. I don't see where I have attacked anyone just that awful phrase and have been attacked back personally over it. Why was that needed? Sorry if I touched a nerve but we all like and dislike things. Not everyone is going to agree and on this occasion I don't join you in your humour.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >