View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 10:17 PM
It is going to take a good 4-6 weeks to recover. The bruising and swelling is on the inside as well and can effect nerves so that is maybe why you are getting pain in your leg. Is your leg swollen?
As for your bladder, I would guess you had a catheter and it can sometimes effect your muscle control for a short time. Keep drinking water and try doing your pelvic floor exercises to strenghten them.
I would check with your GP hun xx
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Teddysmum View Post
I had mine out 14 years ago. They tried keyhole but I lost alot of blood so they opened me up anyway. Bl**dy great scar now. I was surprised how much I couldn't do. I was really sore. I suffered terrible back ache but don't remember leg pains. The scar area itself was terribly sore for about 4 weeks but then it all calmed down. I actually have a patch at the top of the scar that is completely numb now. Weird!

It is a huge op to have and certainly takes it out of you. If you are worried get it checked but my bet is that after a while you will start to feel less pain. 10 days isn't that long although I know it feels it. I was like you, I stayed in bed and it wasn't until a doctor said to me that I would recover quicker if I started to get up and move about that I did and he was right. I started just pottering for 3 or 4 minutes at a time and slowly felt stronger.

I really hope you get better soon. Teddy sends some slobbery wet kisses and I'm sending you a big hug.
My back is extremley sore on the right side , I find myself being exhausted by doing the least wee thing , I rang nhs direct this morning and they said it could be due to a lot of internal swelling , And wth me haven had a total hysterectomy just ver a year ago my body was still healing , And there ws probably a lot of scaring from the operation as well, so looks like I have to take things easy for a while , Which is a pain because im a prtty aive person , xxdk
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
they cut thru your stomache muscles to get to it,so that will take a long time to completly heal,you should feel better in 4 to 5 weeks and completely heal the muscles in 5-6 months the leg pain is maybe from the nerves,but you should get to the doctor because with any surgery there is always a chance of a blood clot and the leg is a common place to find one of those
so go bother your GP thats what hes there for

love me xxxxx
Just exactly what I was thinking hun.You can also end up with one due to lying around a lot recovering too.Dk try and keep your legs and feet as mobile as you can when your in bed or sitting around,xxxxxxxxxx
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 01:31 PM
A lot of good advice there dk.
Is your leg swollen hard or inflammed? if so I think you should see you GP, maybe you should go anyway and be checked. Plenty of people "bother" them for a lot less than this.
Try drinking some cranberry juice, not to eveyones taste, but very good for waterworks.
Good luck anyway and I hope you feel better soon
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
It is going to take a good 4-6 weeks to recover. The bruising and swelling is on the inside as well and can effect nerves so that is maybe why you are getting pain in your leg. Is your leg swollen?
As for your bladder, I would guess you had a catheter and it can sometimes effect your muscle control for a short time. Keep drinking water and try doing your pelvic floor exercises to strenghten them.
I would check with your GP hun xx
My leg is not swollen at all its just cramped and sore , I did not have a catheter in but it did take me till the next morning to pass urine ,They had a bed pan under me all night but I never passed any urine , So the next morning they put me on a comode chair and I swear i passed enough urine for the olympic team , its the same everytime I go to the toilet , I posted a thread about haven a virus , I spoke to my gp this morning , So if things dont settle in a week or so I have to contact him again xxdk
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your very kind and great advice ill kep you all updated xxdk
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 03:05 PM
My OH had is removed when he was 21, he was in hospital on morphine for 2 weeks, they taught him how to cough and sneeze so it wouldn't do damage

He said he was off work nearly 3 months, now please also bear in mind he is a bloke and we all know what they are like .

May be the bladder problem is down to being catheterised during your op and it might just have bruised your bladder a bit, so you are not having the usual sensations of needing to wee.

They legs may be aching due to lack of use, I don't know. May be worth a call to Dr or NHS direct just to ease your mind

And more bed rest is perscribed from me .... you will be up and about when you are ready and not before, as it is a huge operation to have..... but obviously much huger for a man

Mel x
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Cheers Mel xxxxdk
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 03:35 PM
The last time I hada urine infection sis, the pain at the top of my leg's were very sore, could be this.xxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Sorry to hear you're suffering so much like this DK, but I don't know anything about this kind of op. All I can say is, there is a very high risk of blood clots forming in the legs after any op (I've been reading up on all this because of my mum's recent hip op!)and that's why they give all the patients in hospitals those awful injections in the stomach to stop any chance of blood clots in the legs. NOw I don't know what kind of meds you're on now, but it might be worth taking a small dose of Asprin every day (like I have to for my heart) to thin the blood and of course this will reduce any risk. I'm not saying that's what your leg pains are, but blood clots do cause pain and/or swelling in the legs. I don't know if it might also be a good idea to raise your feet slightly by say putting a pillow underneath them, and this again will help the blood flow back to the heart. Whilst you're lying in bed try and do the ankle/foot turning movements that you'd do on a long flight, again just to keep everything moving and flowing. Another thing I do know is, all the pain you have after an op, is not so much the op you have had done, but the way they pull everything out and shove it all back in again after removing whatever they had to - that's a fact! I once heard this from a surgeon's mouth when he was chatting to us about an appendix operation he'd performed, and the way they just shoved it all back in! Lol! Sorry!!!

Don't worry about pestering the doctors, that's what they're there for and blimey you've just had a major op, and people pester them for a sore toe don't they!!! You need proper advice, this might not be normal, but I strongly suspect it is, only because of listening to my mum with all her new aches and pains after her hip op the other week. She was awake most nights with pains in her legs for a whole week afterwards, and that's both legs!

Awwww, sending you healing hugs you poor old thing, but at least you get to lie in bed all day long which I'd give my right arm for at the moment!! xxxxxx
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2