View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 08:50 AM
We went to our first dog training class with Dingo last week so you can imagine he was the rebel of the class. After Dingo was introduced to the rest of the well behaved dogs we were told to join in the with heel work and the sit commands but to leave the stay lessons until a future lesson. This was due to the fact that when dogs first meet new dogs they are anxious and want to see what is going on. He would be far too distracted to work past the couple of basic commands.

You need to remember as well that for the people and dogs in the lesson who are struggling to grasp the concept, you will need to work for a moment with the dog and handler to show them the correct way of doing things. If you have a whole class who needs this it could take some time.

Hope this helps. I'm not a trainer but this is my experience with a difficult dog in a first class experience.

Heidi
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 10:55 AM
This may be slightly off-thread, but it is an example of what NOT to do. I`ve just got Shamus, a very good-natured GSP who needs training round other dogs so he learns to listen to me rather then play. So I trotted off to the local dog club , and watched a session before meeting the trainer to talk about what we could do. All fine. Except that the lady on the desk snarled at me because I hadn`t phoned first. I rose a above it and watched the class with increasing bemusement. 12 mature ladies with shtzu`s and similar small dogs. In a beginners class I would expect to see a manic collie, a snappy shepherd, a fat lab towing its owner round etc. Nope - just shtzus and lookalikes. All wriggling in pleasure as the elderly male instructor had them out in groups of 3 to do a little something like sit, then praised them.
All became clear when he spoke to me and said that I was being `assessed` (in spite of the fact Shamus didn`t move a paw) and that I would be put on his waiting list and told when there was a place. Then he looked at my big beautiful boy and told us another dog club had opened at....and maybe we would like to try that. OK, I can take a hint....
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by spanielworld View Post
Hi

I'm studying at present and i need to do an 8 week lesson plan and I just can't seem to get started (I've got everything written down but just struggling with how much to put in the first lesson, after first lesson i can do no problem with showing how you would progress from one week to another)

Is there any trainers on here that could point me into the right direction please? (have i got too much in the first lesson - too much talking, should I move some to lesson 2 etc??)

Any help most appreciated

Hi,, I do classes,, first thing,, good luck with the course, I take it this is on paper exercise,,not really going to happen? but I think,,if it were me,, I would have to take into account: Is this a set course where handlers and dogs will expect to achieve a set standard in the time given?

What size would the venue be?
what type of venue?
how many dogs will be attending on the set course?

I personaly dont do set courses,,

If you have say 10 dogs in the class, you may find the first night bedlam,

when I have new starts at tha club, I normaly bring them in about an hour before the normal training kicks off, this gives me time to assess the dog, for temprament, is it shy, nervous, timid, aggressive, dominant, which gives me a better idea of how to get the best out of the dog in training, I really dont feel the one size fits all method is that good, but I guess there is a market for it,, and its better than no training at all,

my input is,,

Ok here is what I have - in very brief note form.
7pm - welcome

cut this back to five mins,
710 - check collars leads Id tags and mention about microchipping

do the microchipping thing at the welcome or give out a flyer with the details on it,
715 - watch command
I would not put this to high on my list of first night things if I were running the set course training, dogs on there first night may feel a bit overwhelmed,, so not being allowed to look around and make sure the dog behind them aint a threat can cause stress, I would mention keeping there dogs attention when doing lead walk by using food, toys or whatever, but I wouldnt put massive pressure on them over it, {that said I do one on one for an hour with my new starts so I introduce the dog to a clicker, the first thing it learns it to stand in front and look me in the eye so this is a watch command but your not doing clicker work }

720 - walking on lead
ok,

730 - brief description on a dogs mind / how they learn etc
ten min of training time on this seems a bit much, Again put it in the flyer or stick it in the welcome bit, its more use I guess before they begin training than half way through,

735 - lead recall - using wait command (as in holding lead and stepping as far as lead will let you and calling dog into you)
I think I would have to train the wait command before expecting a dog to do {wait} then recall, so wait /stay command this week next week recall

745 - lead walking

when you say lead walking,,,do you mean healwork, if so, I often start my newbys with teaching the dog where heal is, so that if in front, or anywhere in the building lol, should the dog be given the command to heal,,he knows where it is, {lets face it how many people go round shouting heal to there dog? I hear it all the time with new starts "he wont walk at heal"! so I say,,ok tell the dog to go to heal, they look at me all blank like im a muppet,,,,my ansa is, if the dog doesnt know where heal is how can he walk there, heal could be way up the road at that good lampost he likes a wee on,,, actuly it must be because when he and mum go for a walk,,,and he is trying realy hard to get there to relieve himself,,, mum keeps shouting encouragement by way of HEAL HEAL HEAL, when we get there and I stop for my wee she goes quiet,,so thats where heal is,

So train heal first, then do healwork or lead walk
755 - question and answer
8pm finish

I think,, if it were me, it would read,
7.00pm
welcome, check collars, brief chat on training,

assess lead walk,

train heal

Incorparate heal into lead walk

train wait

questions and answers, go over the training done, advise them of next weeks training
hth
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Just had a thought,,

scrap all of what I said above, its prob tosh if the course is a begginers course,

You would need to start with the very basic stuff,
eg,
Dogs on left hand side for training,
Lead control,
SIT., how to lure the dog into a sit, giving only one command,,then praise, then explaine how to move from lureing the dog or placing the dog, onto the dog taking the command, eg reduce the signal given untill the dog takes only a vocal command,

so your looking at the very basic starty outy stuff,
spanielworld
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Shona - THANK YOU very much for your input

Yep it is a first puppy/beginners class (under 7months of age) class and this is what i have done for the first lesson - as you can see it has changed dramatically from my original post as I have worked on it

But any comments before I submit it would be greatfully received

7pm – Register, Introduction and welcome
check leads/ collars and ID tags.

Explain the course aims – The main aim of a puppy class is to give owners a good start to owning a well behaved and socially acceptable pet dog.

7.10pm – How a dog learns
A dog learns through what happens at one particular time – When the dog is off lead and you call him and he doesn’t come back, he eventually arrives and you scold him so he assumes he is being scolded because he came back, not that he didn’t come back straight away, and you will make him scared of coming back to you therefore he will think he will always get told off when he returns and stop returning, which is what you don’t want!

So whatever you do ALWAYS praise when your dog returns to you

7.15pm – Treats and Praise

If you are using food rewards make sure they are suitable for your puppy and take them into account when measuring out your puppies meal.
Training night you can bring your puppies meal with you if it’s a dry food, or not feed them a lot before you come to class as you will use up a lot of treats while training.

Good treats include their ordinary kibble (dog food) very small bits of cheese, sausage, ham, homemade liver cake etc. (Liver cake recipe to be handed out at the end of class along with a test treat sheet)
Please DO NOT use chocolate or large chunks of food.

If your puppy isn’t food orientated then use lots of praise and games or a small soft toy, which you can play with.

DO NOT get cross with your puppy as they won’t learn, if they can’t do something or get it wrong go back a step and try again. Every puppy learns at different rates.

7.20pm – Sit Demonstrate then owners practice.
If you keep in mind if a puppy’s head goes back then the bottom usually goes down, so you can see how easy it is to lure puppy into a sit with no need to man handle him at all. With a treat in your hand put in front of puppies nose and take your hand slowly back so it is above the eye line, as the puppy looks up at the treat the bottom goes down give the cue word ‘Sit’

7.30pm– Down. Demonstrate then owners practice.
In the sit position, take your hand with the treat in down to the floor between and slightly in front of the front paws. As puppy goes down use the cue word ‘down’

7.40pm – Stand. Demonstrate then owners practice.
With puppy in the sit position with a treat in your hand level with his nose draw the treat slowly away keeping it level with his nose.

7.50pm – Questions and answers. Recap on what we have done and hand out homework sheets

Handout sheets will be instructions on Sit, down and stand.
Homework is to practice these for next week, and also do the ‘Treat test sheet’ that is handed out.
Hand out microchipping info - costs etc from the local vets and the advantages of having the dogs chipped.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2008, 06:57 AM
This seems as if there is a lot of talking and listening. 20 mins at the beginning and 10 at the end. This would only leave 30 mins for actual training. What will all those pups be doing while you talk?

At our class we had the chat whilst we were practising positions. It was interspersed through the lesson and was then given on a hand out to take away with us and read later. We were also given written instructions of all that we had covered in class.

Hope this helps?
spanielworld
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Please note that this is for paper version only

I can see what you are saying and agree but it's so hard to actually get it down on paper this is what I'm struggling with. Hence posting and asking for help

Actually doing the class is a lot easier

Off to see how else I can tweak it
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
This seems as if there is a lot of talking and listening. 20 mins at the beginning and 10 at the end. This would only leave 30 mins for actual training. What will all those pups be doing while you talk?

At our class we had the chat whilst we were practising positions. It was interspersed through the lesson and was then given on a hand out to take away with us and read later. We were also given written instructions of all that we had covered in class.

Hope this helps?
thats kinda how I do things,,, too but I guess on paper it doesnt work so well, It would be funny putting a paper into practice, and trying to stick to it ridgidly,,lol, one puppy has a shat in the middle of things and the whole lot is up in the air lol

Originally Posted by spanielworld View Post
Please note that this is for paper version only

I can see what you are saying and agree but it's so hard to actually get it down on paper this is what I'm struggling with. Hence posting and asking for help

Actually doing the class is a lot easier

Off to see how else I can tweak it

what course are you doing? what do you aim to get out of it? eg do you want to become a trainer? behaviourist?
spanielworld
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm doing the COAPE dog training course - I'm am hoping to help out at a dog training club (volunatary, to give something back to the club )

I decided to do the course as I have trained my dogs for years and thought it might be nice to have a course under my belt and also give me something to do as I only work 2 days a week

As for me being a trainer - mmm not sure, think I'll just stay as an assistant if they'll have me
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2