View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 05:18 PM
For high energy dogs (which mine are) they get very non plussed about their leads!

Takara will play hell if she needs a walk and hasn't been but when the leads come out, they just mill around! Takara runs away when I get her harness out and I have to go and get her and then she stands there very half heartedly waiting for me to clip her lead on, Eddy's ears prick up but there's still nobody home! He has his lead clipped on but getting out of the door is a chore if someone is cooking in the kitchen because he just wants to stand and shadow them instead of going for a walk!

That said, when we step out of the door all's very calm until I want to try and shut the door behind me and then the damn things won't let me reach the door handle because they're pulling ready for their walk!!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 05:33 PM
If I am going out with both, on my own, I rarely do it if the OH is at home as he gets embarrassed as the whole neighbourhood gets to hear Tonto tell the whole world it's walkies time!

It's not easy for sure.
I have Tonto to get into his harness, then clip his flexi onto two tiny rings and then either stand on the flexi handle or shut him out the kitchen.

Then I have Inca, who will go and sit in her bed, but I have to put her canny collar on, clip the lead to it and then (the bit she is wise about) find the loop and slip it over her muzzle, whilst she is trying to chew through her lead with excitement. She squeals and whoops as if I am murdering her.

Then I collect Tonto, and tend to go out one of the back doors. This is because they try so desperately to get out the front door first the outside doormat ends up inside as they scrabble on it. Plus it gives the neighbours a good laugh.

So then we go out one of the side gates and up the road where we have 5 minutes of Tonto greeting the world like a long lost friend, and Inca kneeling down to try and get the canny loop off her nose.

50 metres up the road and sanity sets in all round..... it just don't understand it.

Half the problem is they know the coat and boots I usually wear to go round the field, so as soon as they see me with those they are getting excited, and I can't put those on after their leads no chance!

It might work if I get a neighbour up the road to hold onto my boots and coat and I can put them on when they've calmed down lol.

I don't take my OH if I can help it, not round the block anyway, as he too will make them sit until quiet, so I feel as if I'm being disciplined as well! Plus as that takes a while he'll be in a hurry, and I like them both to have plenty of time to sniff every sniff.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Just appear with a jacket in hand, and the TZBCs will start leaping around and biting ech other's butts. I have given the matter some thought, but I still can't see why the butt-biting is necessary - perhaps it's a BC thing, or some sort of obscure farmyard ritual

Snorri
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 06:24 PM
We have the same problem on the last walk of the night. Mya loves that walk as there's rarely any of those scary people about. She runs around in circles yapping and wriggles like b*ggery when I try and get the lead on her. All this time, Len is "bouncing" at the front door like Zebedee and Roxy is grodelling like crazy. It's Bedlam. I'm so pleased Baz does this with me.
No, Lise, you're very much NOT alone
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Well Mo stands still and stretches her neck out to have her collar put on then walks sedately to the car or sets off on foot where ever we are going.
I have to say this is the first dog I have had who has been this laid back. All the others have been just as all you have described
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Dougal goes mental whining and snorting at me....and all I've done is put me shoes on. I could be going to the back garden for all he knows. He then wiggles, walks between my legs, wiggles a bit more, tries to jump into the shoe cupboard, and out again...then realises that doing this means I can't get past him to the lead.

Once we are out he settles down though completely..at least till he's off lead, then he runs at 100mph.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 07:30 PM
your are not alone , i work 5 hrs leave at 730 get back about say 2 ,when i open the door all hell breaks loose , dylan is all waggley and silly .but our willow is just so noisy (we have had her nearly yr and half ,but she still hasnt got over how happy her life is. she is all jumpy and kiss me mom kiss me lol she barks . no matter how many dogs i have over the years willow will be the one that is the most happy to see me .(it dos make me wonder what kinda life she had befor ) they are allways happy to go out .even at 7oclock in the morning ,i allways say to OH if we took them out for say 23 hrs a day they would still be happy to go out hour later
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Just appear with a jacket in hand, and the TZBCs will start leaping around and biting ech other's butts. I have given the matter some thought, but I still can't see why the butt-biting is necessary - perhaps it's a BC thing, or some sort of obscure farmyard ritual

Snorri
lol dylan dos that to willow
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 07:40 PM
well...it starts with
"china, wheres your collar?
she will then run around the entire house looking for her collar and will bring it to us and drop it for us to put on...
she will then drag her belly around the floor and chase her tail whilst we put our shoes and coats on...
we then stand up and she will start jumping up at the hall table to try and reach her lead and will wait by the front door whilst we clip it on...

during all this she grunts and does those "rar rar... " noises

and then we walk...

alex
xx
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Max gets excited when he recognises our walking clothes but he knows that he has to have his bum firmly on the floor before his collar goes on and we are ready to go. He does squeak a lot in the car when he recognises which walk we are going to!
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »