View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 07:43 PM
i think it sounds ok, say the spaying thing & test the waters by doing that!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 09:30 PM
I have to say it does sound a little suss, however, it may be genuine. I don't know if certain colours are more popular in labs (personally I don't care what colour a dog is) but if they were viewing it as a money making scheme then I would have thought they would have opted for the most popular colour to try and maximise puppy sales

They could just lead a very active life style and want a youngish healthy dog to fit in with that. Maybe they've had their hearts broken in the past by loseing a less healthy dog and they are trying to minimse the risks.

Agree that you should either say she is speyed or will be speyed before she goes and if you never hear back from them you have your answer. Let us know!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 03:30 AM
Agree with other posts saying she is or will be spayed before being rehomed. If the person is out to breed then they won't come back to you.
It's a difficult one as you can read the email one way or another. Some people do look for a youngish dog but not a puppy as a puppy doesn't suit their home life etc. In terms of health tests. I know a lot of people that work their dogs don't neccesarily hip score all pups as their lines show good working dogs so assume hips aren't a problem in their lines.
I think you can only go on your gut feeling on this and if you're willing to give this person a chance, investigate them some more.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 04:36 AM
does sound a little odd, but she could just want a healthy dog....but why over 3??

does sound odd.......maybe ask her to come and view her then say oh and its great shes spayed.....see her reaction!

or email her........but id rather see her in person.......i could give her a nice smack on the nose if shes thinking she can get a rescue and breed from her!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
email her back saying you have the perfect dog, and shes already spayed, if she doesnt get back to you well that will say it all xx
I would e-mail her back but not say anything about her being speyed, then let her send another reply, or maybe several, and make arrangements to see you, and then 'casually' mention on the phone she's been speyed.

If she's trying to 'con' you it would be interesting to see her reaction

She looks like she's trying to take advantage of you so all the above is quite legit IMO
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 09:47 AM
email her back saying you have the perfect dog, and shes already spayed, if she doesnt get back to you well that will say it all xx
That would be may take on it too
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 10:40 AM
I think it could be genuine. Asking about hip scores etc and age could be to ensure that the dog they take on is fit and able for the active lifestyle they lead. If someone came to me asking about a specific breed they wanted to adopt I'd tell them to contact the local club and breeders for that breed.

Anyone wanting to adopt would be aware that most rescue dogs are de-sexed before rehoming....

Have you tried contacting the local club and other breeders to see if they have heard from the same person and what their thoughts are?

I'd be enclinded to take her interest as genuine and vet her well as you would for any other potential home.

Good luck.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Senerio

Someone (say "X" ) posts on a similar board to this that they are thinking of getting a dog, would a pup or a rescue be better? Members would point out the pros & cons & X decides a grown dog might fit into her lifestyle easier. But dosent want it too old as it is going to be a active dog!

She then has a shortlist of breeds & asks the boards which would enjoy her "lifestyle" best, & decides that she really would Love a lab!!!!

So with age & breed decided, X asks board what to look for a a "good" lab, ie what health tests etc

Board advises of tests & gives X ideas of where & where not to look, ie breed rescue, rescue centres, stay away from "puppy" farms, someone suggests that if she wants to know the background of a dog local breeders may be able to help as they may have had a dog returned or have stopped running one on!

I think that is all quite likely! the "spaying" will be the test!!!!!
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Great idea that should stump this idiot ,ohhhhhhhhhhhh i hate being taken for a fool
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 07:18 PM
it could be that they have looked into every thing and we all say you should check to see if the health tests have been done maybe this person is covering every thing even if it is an older doglet, would not judge till get more info. Hope they are the real deal hun
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »