Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
You can still get boxers and other breeds docked, if it is by a vet.
Only for working purposes that are certified with the correct paperwork, and unfortunately that does not include Boxers, as they are no longer worked.

If you know of a vet that does this to Boxers, they should be reported !

Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
As some one who has tried to research docking and it's origins I have not found any historical evidence to suggest dogs were docked to prevent injury. However, there was a tax levied against undocked dogs as they were seen to be a luxury and therefore those who docked their dogs that was seen as a working dog and therefore not taxed.
Becky
Yes, I heard that about the tax as well. Last year just before the docking ban came in a woman from The Kennel Club was talking to a presenter on GMTV about the history of docking, and she said about the tax that Becky has mentioned.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 06:55 PM
You can still get boxers and other breeds docked, if it is by a vet.
Although you have to travel for it, i can't remember what the group of vets is called.

Boxers used to be worked, not that i would imagine many working like they did now.
They used to be bear & boar hunters when the breed was created.

Nooo, only the few breeds on the exempt list can legally be done in England and Wales, and none are legal in Scotland. Boxers are not on the exempt list.
Unless the pup in question was a Bobtail, if done in England, Scotland or Wales as a non-injury related amputation, [ as in damaged tail when older which any dog can have happen regardless of breed ], then it was indeed an illegal dock for which the owner as well as the breeder and the vet, [ if done by a vet ], can be prosecuted - buyers of illegally docked pups face the same legal penalties, [ including possible imprisonment ], as a breeder who instigates or carries out an illegal docking.
If anyone knows of vets still doing it to non-exempt breeds, those vets are breaking the law, not just RCVS rules, and should be reported so that they can be prosecuted as well as struck off.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Asti View Post
Yes, I heard that about the tax as well. Last year just before the docking ban came in a woman from The Kennel Club was talking to a presenter on GMTV about the history of docking, and she said about the tax that Becky has mentioned.
Yep, thats true, its historical fact.

An exerpt from the, [ New South Wales ], Prevention Of Cruelty to Animals Amendment ( Tail Docking Bill )

A number of theories have been advanced that seek to explain the origins of tail docking. They include the prevention of rabies, the prevention of back injury, increasing the speed of the tail-docked dog, and the prevention of tail damage due to fighting, baiting or ratting. Docking of tails on farmers' or drovers' dogs, used for herding or driving cattle and sheep, originated in early Georgian times in England as it exempted the owner from a tax levied upon working dogs with tails.

Many other types of dogs were also similarly docked to avoid this luxury tax
, and although this imposition was repealed in 1796 the habit of docking particular breeds remained.

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro.../LC20040310033

The rabies connection dates back to the Romans, though the belief that it was protection against rabies came after the, [ also Roman ], belief that biting off and eating a puppy tail was a cure for worms in humans.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-02-2008, 07:21 PM
There will be 3 reasons why the Boxer puppy was docked

1) Illegally

2) A Bobtail (not docked)

3) Born and docked in Ireland
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-02-2008, 07:39 PM
It was a while ago, maybe it was before the list.
I thought there was a group vets that got together and still docked legally.
It was after it was made illegal for the breeders to dock, but ok for a vet.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 07:46 PM
It was a while ago, maybe it was before the list.
I thought there was a group vets that got together and still docked legally.
It was after it was made illegal for the breeders to dock, but ok for a vet.
The CDB did have a list of the few vets who thought it was ok to dock, [ despite RCVS guidelines ], after it was made illegal for non-vets to do it and before the new law came in, maybe that`s the list you were thinking of Leo ?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Could be, show i don't keep up with it as i don't own docked breeds anymore.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-02-2008, 10:29 PM
This thread has amazed me. Not that I didn't know docking tails was illegal, just the amount of young Boxers around my way who's tails are docked.

Maybe these dogs look younger than they are, but I know of at least three young Boxers I have seen and none have tails. In fact, thinking about it, my Benson is the only Boxer I know who has a tail!!

Are all these people buying Boxers from people who dock illegally?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 10:33 PM
More than likely as I really don't think many vets would be prepared to dock anything let alone those that can be legally docked, the alternative is that they are mass puppy farmed imports from Ireland.
Personally I would contact the RSPCA and tell them that there are a large number of docked dogs in your area that don't consist of breeds that are on the 'list'.
Becky
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >