View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2008, 10:16 PM
we got ours from Glossop caravans, yes insurance is recommended we pay about £80 a year and it covers things like bedding, awning, tvs etc. So well worth it. We got most of our accessories off ebay 2nd hand too. like water carriers and extra cupboards for the awning, the carries just need sterilising. Our boys are 3 and 5 and they love the caravan. We stayed 2 weeks in Newquay and its by far the best holiday we have ever had, even better than the honey moon which was a P&O cruise (with the kids)
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2008, 10:17 PM
thanks Mel...we are seriously considering getting one. Did the awning come with it? Has it got a shower and loo...I am such a rubbish camper...
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by melsgems View Post
glad you enjoyed it. There are some stunning caravans around now. we have a 13 year old Coachman Genius 5 birth. Its in great condition. We have had it 2 years this July and have had several holidays in it so far. OH is fine towing it, I am staying firmly in the passenger seat for now, although I am considering a days course on learning how to tow

The kids love it, this year will be the first one that we will be taking a dog but can't wait.

Each time we go away we get better at packing and setting it up. We should be on Youv'e been framed when putting the awning up though but we love it.

Hope you join the world of caravanning soon, hope you love it as much as we do

Mel x
Lol at the awning,we looked at those too,great idea.I was amazed at how far caravaning has come on.We used to go hols in my parents caravan and what a great time we all had.Denis used to pull in and climb in the thing,switch on tv and if he couldn't get a picture he'd say nope we have to move on somewhere else,

There were 5 of us and a dobe too,it left me with many happy memories.No doubt Fay shall tell you the story about her last outing in it,pmsl,xxxxxxxxxxx
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2008, 10:23 PM
yes we got a package deal, awning, ground sheet, water carrier, waste carrier, gas bottle. The caravan itself has blown air heating, hot and cold water, fire, oven, grill, hob, fridge, shower, sink, loo, full electrics, 2 double beds and a bunk. Its about 23 ft length. Blackout blinds and insect screens too. We felt it best to get it from a dealership as you get the back up too, although we probably paid more than if we had gone private.

The awning is a godsend and we would not manage space wise without it, what with 2 kids to keep occupied

We also have an extra fridge for the beer and wine and a gas BBQ which is a must

But ebay is great for the extras also a shop called Go Outdoors is fab

Mel x
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I enjoyed our outing to the caravan exhibition too, and I have to add to what Lorraine said about how they have improved since we had one. Of course that was about 30 years ago, and ours eventually fell to bits through lack of use. also because the kids got bigger and it was a bit of a squeeze what with 3 of them and a large Dobe and of course the odd friend. Then again we had many happy hols in it, and saw some lovely parts of Scotland, but never did go south. Denis is to much of a home bird to go abroad although he used to say he was going to one day. I wonder when he meant?????
The last time we took the van out was to go to a raft race at Aberfeldy, and we only got onto the motorway at Grangemouth, about 3 miles away, when the side of the van parted company with the rest of it.:smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 We had to turn back, but Denis doesn't give up so easily when he is getting rid of us all for a while, and within an hour or so he had it fixed and we were off again. Yes, it held till we got there and back but that was the last time it turned a wheel until the day it went to the happy hunting grounds or I should say the scrap dealers. That was another hairy outing as I had to follow him all the way in case we got stopped by the police or it fell to bits on the way.:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 Needless to say we arrived safely and left quickly as we didn't want to see it crushed
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Nelson's Mum View Post
I enjoyed our outing to the caravan exhibition too, and I have to add to what Lorraine said about how they have improved since we had one. Of course that was about 30 years ago, and ours eventually fell to bits through lack of use. also because the kids got bigger and it was a bit of a squeeze what with 3 of them and a large Dobe and of course the odd friend. Then again we had many happy hols in it, and saw some lovely parts of Scotland, but never did go south. Denis is to much of a home bird to go abroad although he used to say he was going to one day. I wonder when he meant?????
The last time we took the van out was to go to a raft race at Aberfeldy, and we only got onto the motorway at Grangemouth, about 3 miles away, when the side of the van parted company with the rest of it.:smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 We had to turn back, but Denis doesn't give up so easily when he is getting rid of us all for a while, and within an hour or so he had it fixed and we were off again. Yes, it held till we got there and back but that was the last time it turned a wheel until the day it went to the happy hunting grounds or I should say the scrap dealers. That was another hairy outing as I had to follow him all the way in case we got stopped by the police or it fell to bits on the way.:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 Needless to say we arrived safely and left quickly as we didn't want to see it crushed

You have no idea how much I've laughed about all this,xxxxxxxxx
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-02-2008, 07:41 PM
If buying secondhand then there are many web sites out there that can offer advice. One thing to look for is damp and leaks, but if you are buying the modern variety of caravan they are now made from laminated material bonded together so the only leaks are generally at the seams and window seals.

Awnings are a bonus and most are acrylic now so not prone to rot and aging so much. Make sure everything works as far as possible and its got a gas cert or can be checked. Caravans are made from light materials so its normal to have a little wear and tear but check out things like bunk bed attachments and cupboards and doors as they do break relatively easily.

Buying secondhand need not be a nightmare but be forewarned that some are very sub-standard. Join the caravan club, they are a mine of info and it gives you access to the thousands of certified 5 caravan only sites which many are simply fantastic.

Research the make and model as much as possible, our last caravan was great but of poor build quality (Marldon Meridian) and was basically knackered after 3 years.

The Compass Mendip Magnum 534 Classic we have now is beautifully built and equipped, it even has flat panel tinted side windows which have only just starting to appear on the other makes and alloy wheels, double sky roof panels, all the toys and even a built in Sony CD 10 stack player, it should last us many years.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Funny you should say that, my OH parents had a swift and was members of the swift owners club.
They are nice vans, and 1 i would buy if we ever got 1.
Do weekend rallys and dogs are welcome.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2