View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2008, 09:34 PM
prong collars have their uses, on scumbag owners who ill treat their dogs.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Interesting to read all your comments. It just worries me that a trainer is advising people to try them.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 09:56 PM
I think they are barbaric, as are choke chains. They bully the dog in to doing what you want it to do, not to positively encourage the dog.

I was being talked in to thinking that "they don't cause any harm if used correctly". I read up on them and decided that's not the case. How can a metal collar with medieval looking metal prongs which tighten on the dogs neck and nip the skn be kind and not cause any harm?

There are much kinder ways of training a dog, some of which have already been mentioned on this thread.

At Discover Dogs last year they had a stand where you could hand in choke chains and they would replace it with a flat collar. Very good idea, I thought.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
Interesting to read all your comments. It just worries me that a trainer is advising people to try them.
We've had some very heated discussions on here about prong/electric shock collars. Think we may all know of the 'trainer' you're speaking of. Think you can take it that most of us here do not condone the use of either.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 10:07 PM
I wouldn't use the word "training" in the same sentence of a prone collar - it's more like behaviour control for the brainless and cruel.

Why would someone even consider using them when positive reinforcement training methods can teach the dog exactly where you want them to walk.
arctic.wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2008, 07:43 AM
totally barbaric and cruel
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 12:16 AM
never used one, never will, If its the training club in our area which I think it is, they should be strung up as there web site defo reads diff to the reality of what happens there bad trainers use prongs cos they cant come up with anything else,,,,sad but true,
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
We've had some very heated discussions on here about prong/electric shock collars. Think we may all know of the 'trainer' you're speaking of. Think you can take it that most of us here do not condone the use of either.

Hi Wufflehoond,, could you pm the link to the threads,, cant find it x
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 12:51 AM
All anyone who does`nt see the wrong of the things need ask themselves is two questions :

"Would I let Patch or anyone else use one on me"

and

"Do I think so little of my dog as to let some draconian style `trainer` put one on him or her "

Nuff said...
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2008, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
All anyone who does`nt see the wrong of the things need ask themselves is two questions :

"Would I let Patch or anyone else use one on me"

and

"Do I think so little of my dog as to let some draconian style `trainer` put one on him or her "

Nuff said...
OMG that's the first time I have ever seen one, how anyone can even think of using such a barbaric instrument is totally beyond me
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »