View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 05:38 PM
each to their own opinion,I knew personally, as I took care of him, a dog whose life was saved by one of these shock collars, and there are many people who believe they are training tools,so I still think you are fighting a battle you wont win
Teal'c
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah seems to be the standard reply my friends and I have recieved something very similar, its unbelieveable there are saying that there is a market so they will fill it no matter the consequences to the dog its all about the money

Can I also point out dogesy members made that ebay for pets in UK website think twice
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
each to their own opinion,I knew personally, as I took care of him, a dog whose life was saved by one of these shock collars, and there are many people who believe they are training tools,so I still think you are fighting a battle you wont win
can i ask what the circumstances where?

I am not out for an argument or strong debate with you, i just cannot see why people would need them. Would with interest like to know the story.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by shiba View Post
can i ask what the circumstances where?

I am not out for an argument or strong debate with you, i just cannot see why people would need them. Would with interest like to know the story.
it was a field trial dog, his owner died and willed him to my boss Jim,Jim was an avid hunter but liked his dogs in close,and had the money to buy the dogs he liked already trained,but because his friend had left him this dog he was of the mind it had to stay or be PTS,so it had to work.
Well the problem was the dog was trained for field trial off horses so it ranged for 1 mile min,wouldnt come back to the whistle,checked in every 15 mins by doing a flyby,
this wasnt good enough for Jim so he was going to shoot the dog but decided to call his trainer first,so his trainer took the dog for a month and brought it back with a shock collar and said the only way to hunt the dog was with the collar.Jim said it better or Ill shoot it,well the dog stayed for 8 more years hunted perfectly with the collar on,we only had to press the button once a season and he lived to the ripe old age of 14(we retired him at 12)his last 2 years were as a fireplace ornament and we still have the collar
havent used it on anyone else though.
But the point is that partiucular dog would have been shot if it wasnt for that collar,instead he lived his life doing exactly what he was bred to do,and being spoiled by me
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Ok thanks. Just to play devil's advocate. Do you not think it would have been better if the trainer (who had the dog for the month) could have worked intesively with other training methods. Or the dog re-homed.

I know nothing about field trials, but if the farmer was willing to try with a trainer for a month maybe other options where available.

It is nice to hear that the dog didn't suffer every day through this collar, but my fear is that joe bloggs down the road puts one on a year old dog because it is an easy option and shocks them all the time. That is why i don't like these things as it tends to be an easy option.,
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by shiba View Post
Ok thanks. Just to play devil's advocate. Do you not think it would have been better if the trainer (who had the dog for the month) could have worked intesively with other training methods. Or the dog re-homed.

I know nothing about field trials, but if the farmer was willing to try with a trainer for a month maybe other options where available.

It is nice to hear that the dog didn't suffer every day through this collar, but my fear is that joe bloggs down the road puts one on a year old dog because it is an easy option and shocks them all the time. That is why i don't like these things as it tends to be an easy option.,
well the trainer couldve kept the dog as long as he liked,money was no object to Jim,and he was one of the best trainers aroundbut he brought him back after a month,Jim wouldnt rehome him because he said he couldnt pass him on,as he was left to him so he would rather PTS
I see your point about them being shocked all the time,I am sure abuse goes on but its like anything,given the wrong hands Im sure a choke chain could be painfull too.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Just email KC, with my opinion on getting these stopped. will wait reply. Hope it helps
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 11:07 AM
I sent a second e-mail enclosing the kennel club rsponse. This is their reply.

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear that you feel this way regarding collars which shock dogs but we do not sell such collars as the ones we sell use a static pulse. I have attached the line below which details this.

(So supposedly a static pulse is different to a shock collar? )

The Deluxe Bark Control uses safe, humane static pulses to effectively control nuisance barking.

If you wish to contact our Managing Director you can find this information under the complaints procedure on our website.
Teal'c
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Woohoo Rachel your getting more than me out of them you must be good at the email thing,

Their answer is total pants they are using an alternative name "static collar" implying that it is not painful or harmful. Lighting is a form of static electricity.......... shock or static whatever the hell they want to call it the collars they sell do emit an electric pulse which is cruel to the dogs.
DogBond
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi,

Please can anyone tell me who I should email to add my support against selling these collars?

Thanks,

Em.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2