Cheers I'll take a look.

It's even got an article on INTERSEXUALITY for Skye & Fingal LOL
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
That's 'Raised by the way not 'Raided'

Skye has always eaten better from a raised bowl which sits on a step about 10 inches high but he's a tall dog. If it's on the floor he eats like a girraffe having a drink. Fingal on the other hand is happy with his bowl on the floor but he's just a shortie.

Anyway - I've noticed over the last week that Breagh eats more slowly and is far less 'gulpy' with her dinner if the bowl is raised. Because of her past problems I'm considering getting a bowl stand for Breagh but I know opinions differ a lot about raised bowls. She's on'y 24/25" at the withers which isn't that tall so what do you think ?

Does anybody else use bowl stands for breeds that aren't really tall and if so why ?
Hi phil, well we raise the bowl for Skye, as even at 8 weeks she would gulp her food.......not because she was feeling threaten, just gulped........then it would stick in her throat and the times I've had to get it out manually was untrue. It would bulk then she would run round trying to be sick. Water exactly the same. Skye is only 20" from floor to shoulder but we raise the dish off the floor and this doesn't occur. It's not raised high just enough for her neck to remain more up. The vet has chked but nothing wrong, I told him how I've done this and he said fine as long as she was comfy doing it. And we don't have the gagging/gulping/vomiting now
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-01-2008, 09:30 PM
I can't win

Had a read and it says........

....."Rapid eating and gulping air" (cause of bloat) ........is what she does if the bowl is on the ground.

however........

"Having a raised bowl" (cause of bloat) ........results in a much slower calmer meal for Breagh.

Certainly with Breagh I'm happier about the way she eats if the bowl is raised.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Have you tried putting something in her bowl to slow her eating ?
My Defa used to be a terrible gulper til I put a large heavy toy in his bowl so that he had to nudge it around to get to his food and he stopped rushing it, [ did`nt need to use it for long ], and then when I got Silk, because she`d had malnutrition for so long she also gulped her food almost in a desperate `frenzy` so I did the same for her and she also realised she could eat slower after all as well so it was very much a temporary measure for them til they regulated their eating mode for themselves
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Hi phil, well we raise the bowl for Skye, as even at 8 weeks she would gulp her food.......not because she was feeling threaten, just gulped........then it would stick in her throat and the times I've had to get it out manually was untrue. It would bulk then she would run round trying to be sick. Water exactly the same. Skye is only 20" from floor to shoulder but we raise the dish off the floor and this doesn't occur. It's not raised high just enough for her neck to remain more up. The vet has chked but nothing wrong, I told him how I've done this and he said fine as long as she was comfy doing it. And we don't have the gagging/gulping/vomiting now
That's exactly what i mean - the same as Breagh.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2008, 09:42 PM
These are new bowls out designed to stop dogs eating quickly. Although I have not found any in the UK yet. Might be worth searching for one of those.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	D74089B.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	4059  
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Have you tried putting something in her bowl to slow her eating ?
My Defa used to be a terrible gulper til I put a large heavy toy in his bowl so that he had to nudge it around to get to his food and he stopped rushing it, [ did`nt need to use it for long ], and then when I got Silk, because she`d had malnutrition for so long she also gulped her food almost in a desperate `frenzy` so I did the same for her and she also realised she could eat slower after all as well so it was very much a temporary measure for them til they regulated their eating mode for themselves
Yes - another thing that I have found is if I feed her on a baking tray (one thin layer) she can't stick her face in and get huge mouthfuls.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks Carole - they look good

Found them here in the UK

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product...id=6280&bhcp=1
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2008, 10:44 PM
I don't use raised bowls because of the bloat thing as Mals are prone to bloat
Tuppence
New Member!
Female 

18-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Hi again....Just a thought you might like to try....I rescued my little mongrel Topsy at a year old and she bolted her food down like a manic vacuum cleaner...So......I used a very big dish where the food was spread around...So in actual fact she couldn`t bolt it down because it wasn`t all in the one same place if you get what I mean...Worked a treat.

I`d sit with her and tell she was a good girl when she took her time....It only took days and then she was eating normally from her bowl....It could be worth a try for those who have `hoovers`.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >