register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

20-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Border Collies are very hard work - but can make great family pets. I think the problems arise because a lot of people get them because they are the "cheaper option". I have heard people say that is the reason they get them.
Also people think that because they are so intelligent that means they are easier to train- when I went to training class with Jack we were teaching the down exercise - I put Jack into a sit and guided him down with a treat. The trainer came up to me and said you don't have to go through that process - he is BC and will know how to do it - he then went to another BC and said down the dog just looked at him - so he man handled the dog into position!

My biggest problem with my dogs is the herding instinct and they can be very protective - but with lots of training and the more understanding I get I'm sure we will work through the problems.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2005, 09:23 AM
I think the problem is that most people who decide do buy a dog from the working group don't take into account what the dog was bred for. Too many go on what the dog looks like, not what is in-between it's ears! I think a lot of problems could be avoided if they trained the dog more and used it's brain, instead of thinking a short walk in the park will suffice and it will be happy to sit in front of the fire for the rest of the day.

As long as the dogs mind as well as body has been exercised I think a lot of behavioural problems wouldn't arise.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

20-03-2005, 09:26 AM
I just read that link - very funny - I'm going to show that to other BC owners
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom
I think the problem is that most people who decide do buy a dog from the working group don't take into account what the dog was bred for. Too many go on what the dog looks like, not what is in-between it's ears! I think a lot of problems could be avoided if they trained the dog more and used it's brain, instead of thinking a short walk in the park will suffice and it will be happy to sit in front of the fire for the rest of the day.

As long as the dogs mind as well as body has been exercised I think a lot of behavioural problems wouldn't arise.

You're right there.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Hi Emm,
I had the protection problem with Blackie, I couldn't touch anything belonging my mum, I had to get what I wanted but keep an eye on him, he would actually fly across the room at me! But after about 8 months of training he is ok now, the only thing he gaurds now is the grocery shopping if I put if on the floor. I don't know who he thinks brings it in, cooks it, and feeds him!!!

Ian
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Bye the way if I sound a bit one sided - I am.

I don't think I could cope with a 'Normal' dog, there is something about a Border Collie.

Ian
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

20-03-2005, 09:41 AM
I know what you mean its the complete chaos they bring into your world - my life would be so boring and quiet without them
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2005, 09:49 AM
:smt044 Posting about your groceries made me think of this quote which makes me laugh!

"Ever consider what they must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul- chicken, pork, half cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!"
-- Anne Tyler
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom
:smt044 Posting about your groceries made me think of this quote which makes me laugh!

"Ever consider what they must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul- chicken, pork, half cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!"
-- Anne Tyler

I have never thought of it that way. So true.

Ian
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2005, 10:18 AM
my borders herd my rottie,but he don,t seem to mind lol
they tell him where to go in the garden,conservatory etc
but never do it in the house or when we are out walking

i,d never be without a border in our family either
i love the breed
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >