Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Id rather have her than some of the ones in the ring today Debs, you can see the quality and the elegance in her, a lot today are so heavy they are awful!
Dawn I have had this discussion over and over again with some of the people in the breed. The breed standard says "gives the appearance of great strength and stamina". Unfortunately too many people interpret that as "must be heavy". I'm so glad there are people like you out there who can see that a dog doesn't have to built like a brick outhouse to have great strength and stamina!

I have to say it's a shame that the breed has gone downhill in the last 10 years or so. You would not believe the health problems that are creeping in that some breeders are totally ignoring! Bad hips, epilepsy, eye problems, diabetes - none of this was prevelant when I had the breed and it's happened in such a short space of time! All my lot lived til they were 14 years old. Today, people are losing dogs at 7 or 8 and they do nothing about it Thankfully there are one or two breeders who are health testing now.

Debs
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Dawn I have had this discussion over and over again with some of the people in the breed. The breed standard says "gives the appearance of great strength and stamina". Unfortunately too many people interpret that as "must be heavy". I'm so glad there are people like you out there who can see that a dog doesn't have to built like a brick outhouse to have great strength and stamina!

I have to say it's a shame that the breed has gone downhill in the last 10 years or so. You would not believe the health problems that are creeping in that some breeders are totally ignoring! Bad hips, epilepsy, eye problems, diabetes - none of this was prevelant when I had the breed and it's happened in such a short space of time! All my lot lived til they were 14 years old. Today, people are losing dogs at 7 or 8 and they do nothing about it Thankfully there are one or two breeders who are health testing now.

Debs
Isnt it sad I think the breeders today ought to travel to Sweden and Finland and take a look at their Hounds, then come back here and look at what they have in their kennel, before its too late.
Dawn.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post

Debs
OH and I Were very taken with this breed when we met them at Discover Dogs a few weeks ago and spent quite while with an owner. One of the things we were told is that there are no known hereditary health problems in the breed...seems that's not 100% the case, then
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by ShaynLola View Post
OH and I Were very taken with this breed when we met them at Discover Dogs a few weeks ago and spent quite while with an owner. One of the things we were told is that there are no known hereditary health problems in the breed...seems that's not 100% the case, then
Unfortunately not, ShaynLola. However, there a couple of breeders who are doing their utmost to address these problems and are only breeding from health tested stock

Debs
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2