View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Ours sleep indoors, hubby doesn,t agree with putting dogs out to sleep in kennel. But years ago my mom and dad had a beautiful kennel for thier dog Bruce and he hated to sleep indoors, every night he made his own way out. Suppose it is what the dog is used to.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 08:52 AM
I worry about theft so mine sleep in my bed! However, I do have a flap so if they want to they can, they don't!
Becky
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Mine sleep in the kitchen, they're quite happy there and I know they're safe.

Even if I had a secure, purpose built kennel I'd still worry about thieves, at least if they break into the house, we're here too so we'd hear.

I just couldn't leave them outside
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 09:33 AM
We have a rota, 4 in at night, 5 out in the kennels, and swap round every couple of nights so they are all used to being either indoors or outdoors, they are less than 10' away from our house, the kennels are insulated, heated, with lighting etc. We also have a security camera setup in there too. Our garden is surrounded by woodland, 5' fences and metal fence and gates between top of the garden and where the kennels are. They are all in doors throughout the day though.

Out of all 9 of my girls, Inca is the only one that prefers to be outdoors.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Zak sleeps indoors, he wonders round a bit starting on his bed in the porch then goes in the utility to cool down the in the early hours wonders upstairs, checks the boys and then sleeps on our bedroom floor..... he loves to be outside during the day but he never sleeps out. he is also a built in burglar alarm
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 10:37 AM
ours sleep indoors - one being a guard dog (through her choice not trained) - the other being a woss - and millie -well -

if the country was safer then they would be outside in the day - when we are here - (not locked up just outside with an open kennelll etc) - but i wouldnt take the chance of someone nicking my dogs
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2007, 10:55 AM
I think both ours would have a fit if I wanted them to sleep outside, even in a properly constructed kennel. But Krusewalker is right, it's probably a cultural thing, and our dogs have always slept inside, so that's what they're used to.

Originally, Amber slept on our bed, and she was a very polite bedmate! She likes to snuggle between my knees (I sleep on my back), and builds a little nest in the blanket, and doesn't wriggle or make a sound all night - most mornings we had to wake her up!

When Sam arrived, it became impossible. Sam is NOT a good bedmate, and huffs and puffs all night as he tries to get comfortable, stealing blankets and pillows in the process. The first night we tried it, my OH and I were woken several times by his wriggling and moving around, and by four o'clock I was so fed up with him that I shut both dogs out of the bedroom. Amber became frantic and cried and scratched at the door to come in, as she has never liked being separated from us.

Now both dogs sleep downstairs, Sam on the sofa and Amber in my armchair, and we close the door at the bottom of the stairs. While I was laid up in bed for a lot of last week, my OH cracked the door open occasionally, "pretending" not to see Amber slip through and toddle up the stairs to curl up on the bed with me .

My friend's housemate is from Malta and has some lovely dogs, Ellie (spaniel) and Rhona (chocolate lab), and now one of Rhona's pups (whose name I can never remember ). All of them are working dogs, and have huge kennels that take up most of the garden. They're only allowed in the house if they are ill or injured. Apparently, he finds it strange that we have our dogs inside!
Lozzy100
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2007, 12:13 PM
my 4 sleep in doors and on my bed , my choice as they are only tiny cavs, and i just dont have the heart to leave them outside even if i did have a kennel i would not do it,,blimey it has taken me 3 years to finaly coming round the idea of getting a crate..lmao and i am ashamed to say my dogs love it, and i do wish i got one years ago...lol but i do leave the crate door open so its basicaly their bedroom, but they dont use it at night, and nor will they use their own beds, but my dogs are perfect bed pals, i say at the bottom and they all curl up along the bottom of the bed and stay there all night. It is a personal choice really, where there is no right or wrong way
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Hi, dont feel all out on your own,, I have dogs who are kept outside,,,Two of my males are in kennels, I guess it came about as Royce my oldest male had been kept that way all his life,,, I bought him when he was 18 months old, he had never lived indoors, I didnt have kennels when I bought him, but he was truely so unhappy indoors that we built him a kennel and run, my second rotty also didnt come as a pup,, she also was used to kennels, so when she arrived up when the new kennel,,which has two sections {bedding areas} which I can leave open or close, if its closed they can still see each other and sniff,,,
we added heating and lights and stuff to this one,,, its quite cosy really, xx
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Mine would glady sleep outside, but due to people walking along the beach I have to bring them in otherwise all hell would break out in the middle of the night.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »