View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 11:33 AM
No I never give rawhide, haven't done for years now, but what about pig's ears, do you think they're ok, or just as dangerous please????
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Pics ears aren't so bad and tend to go less slimey but I would only give them pigs ears supervised.
Becky
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks Becky, another one for me to disappear if he's eating then by the sounds of it! Anything else is just gone in 60 seconds, and I don't like the cooked bones for obvious reasons, the others he's not interested in. Those paddywacks seem too splintery too for my liking. I'll have to keep hunting around then.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Nylabones edibles seem very good but for some reason are hard to get hold of.
Becky
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks Becky, I'll try and see if I can get some of those!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 12:13 PM
These are they! http://www.nylabone.com/products/edibles/
Becky
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Nope, he's never had those!!! Thanks very much Becky, I'll definitely be ordering some of those for him. I do need SOME peace around here sometimes and this is how I do it!! Thanks for doing that for me.
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Those edible nylabones look good never heard of these ones. Im so wary of what to give him now because the rawhide kept him amused for hours but no way am i going there again just stick to stuffing his kong with goodies
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Mine get tripe sticks and I like folding one in half and wedging it tightly in thier kongs, it takes them hours to get it out
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Glad he's okay. Thought it may be useful to give a quick guide in case someone else experiences similar.

If your your dog is choking, examine inside the mouth and remove any foreign object you see. Be careful though as dogs have small bones that support the base of their tongues. So only attempt to remove an object if you can see and identify it.

If that doesn't work it may help to lift and suspend a small dog with the head pointed down and a large dog lift the rear legs so the head is tilted down, which will often dislodge an item stuck in the throat. You can also try a sharp hit with the palm of your hand between the shoulder blades to dislodge the object.If none of these methods work you could try a modified Heimlich maneuver by holding your dog around the waist so that his rear is nearest to you and place your fist just behind his ribs and then compress the abdomen several times. Hopefully the object should dislodge.

You should then take your dog to see a vet as damage may have occurred either by the object itself or from your actions to dislodge the object.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >